Korean Bulgogi and Best Friends

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So two Families, mine and the neighbors down the street. For the past twenty five years have raised great kids who are best friends all through school and today as young adults are best friends just like their parents. We had them over tonight, wanted to make them something special.
Traditional Korean Bulgogi
All ingredients lined up

DSC_1515_zpse3ad0d0f.jpg

Marinade made with eight cloves of garlic for the marinade and eight cloves for the dipping sauce. sesame seeds, sesame oil, sugar, scallions, Sake, fresh ground black pepper, Soy Sauce.
For the dipping sauce one pear diced up real small is added. Plus a Asian spice sauce is made to coat the lettuce with Asian Barbecue Sauce with the addition of white pepper and Sriracha Sauce for heat.

DSC_1520_zps0ae292e8.jpg

So our Friends brought over a home made Lobster Bisque which was amazing

DSC_1521_zpsbe1cb52f.jpg

Roasted garlic and scallions on the Hibachi for add on's to the Bulgogi

DSC_1523_zps25432f2f.jpg

Done and heading in

DSC_1525_zpsd4027f7d.jpg

Had my Butcher slice Rib Eye's to 1/4 and a little over, on the Hibachi, they marinated for about three hours

DSC_1524_zps5671935d.jpg

DSC_1527_zpsc7926932.jpg

They came out perfect medium rare and superbly delicious

DSC_1526_zpsb37bfce5.jpg

Served with roasted garlic, roasted scallion slices, some hot sauce on Romain Lettuce with a nice dipping sauce and some good rice with a little
Soy

DSC_1529_zps9f890a6f.jpg

For desert I grilled some pineapple, cinnamon brown sugar, with a scoop of Vanilla ice Cream

DSC_1530_zpsf346ef97.jpg

Last edited:
So I had two bottles of a nice Saki, Jeff and I finished that after helping out CEO's with a couple of bottles of some nice wine.
Life is good, great Friends, great Families and food. I think I might hit the sack!

DSC_1533_zps734e9ba0.jpg

I approve of your take on bulgogi. Source: I'm Korean.

Is there a reason you put your hibachi over a lit kettle?

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. Next time, if possible, try to use red leaf lettuce instead of romaine.

Last edited:
I am looking over the ingredients and what do I see a Shun knife. I love those knives. Oh and the cook was fantastic.

Rib eyes cut like that are awesome they cook up in a minute, your meal looks prefect, we get them like that for sandwich steaks.
Well done.

This is what life is all about: "Life is good, great Friends, great Families and food." Fantastic cook Bill.

I remember I had a Hibachi grill when I was a child. I miss that little guy.

Great cook with great friends! Life doesn't get better than that. Well done Bill and I prefer the ribeye to lesser quality cuts of meat in the bulgogi.

Bill the hibachi is getting a lot of love, looks like it's in with the right family and friends, :) thanks for sharing, looks fantastic!

Back