Taking the big jump

Andy V

TVWBB Member
Been grilling pretty heavy for the past few years with the weber genesis and feel like I need to increase the challenge. I want to get into the BBQ scene but not sure where to start. Should I start brinkman or wsm?

Been grilling pretty heavy for the past few years with the weber genesis and feel like I need to increase the challenge. I want to get into the BBQ scene but not sure where to start. Should I start brinkman or wsm?

WSM!!
If you do the brinkmann you will be disappointed and or frustrated. WSM is more efficient and easier to handle. Plus this site prefers webers...we can help. This site helped me a lot and I'm still learning.

In other words you want to get into smoking? If so, WSM for sure.

But if you are mostly a griller and on occasion want to do some smoking I would go with a 22.5" kettle.

I started with a brinkmann about 4 years ago and I believe the word frustrating would describe the experience. I love using my WSM. It stays at temps without fuss and cooks great. Something I never got out of my Brinkmann. With the Genesis for quick stuff the Weber Smokey mountain will be perfect. You can cook anything on the Genesis but anything low and slow is better on the smoker. Good luck

grilling with a gasser will leave you short in the charcoal cooking dept. suggest looking for a cheap 22.5 kettle on cl and get some experiance under yer belt first. after you have gotten some charcoal experiance then you can switch to a wsm for some great smoking.

don't get the brinkman, I started with the brinkman because it was a gift from my girlfriend. Though I am grateful for it because it was an inexpensive way into this obsession, it is not near the smoker that the WSM is and you will end up upgrading anyway down the road. The real question is 18 or 22.

I had a brinkman too and I'll keep the word "frustrating" going. I got a weber kettle a few years ago and still use it 4 or 5 times a week. I learned to smoke ribs and stuff on it LNS. I finally decided I needed more room so researched for a while. I was deciding between a big green egg and a 22.5 WSM. Thanks to everyone on this site I purchased the WSM last December and couldn't be any happier with it. Now people buy food and bring it over for me too cook.

Posted my thread a little short due to the airline assistant told me it was time to turn my phone off. Ya I am looking at getting into the obsession. My dad smokes but he uses electric and we figured this would be a nice time for me to try charcoal so we could compare. I been gasing for a few yrs now and done rotisseries too but do not favor it compared to BBQ food I have had at sportsman clubs I am apart of during cook outs. I will only be cooking for my fiancé and myself. Looking at using it 2-3 times a week. If I would have extra food I would either food saver it or take it to work.

I enjoy my weber genisis but I need a change of menu some days of the week.

So I am hearing kettle and wsm. I don't have enough money or time explaining to the fiancé on why I have so many types of cook out equipment haha. So should I go wsm?

Is there any guides to smoking with charcoal. I understand the process and I know alot comes with experience but I was curious if there is a guide.

Thank you all for ur inputs and inviting me to the forum with open arms.

I'll add my vote for the WSM. I had a Brinkmann Gourmet, did a lot of modifications and was finally able to cook some good bbq with it. But the WSM is so much easier, and the quality of the smoker is so much better, there's really no comparison. As for a guide to smoking with charcoal, have you looked at the Virtual Weber Bullet (of which this forum is a subset)? If not, go to http://virtualweberbullet.com/ and you'll find information on just about any aspect of cooking bbq that you want. And if not, just post questions here - the people on this forum are great cooks and love to help other people cook great food.

Take it from another "nube". I spent 30+ years grilling on Webers (Smokey Joe, Kettle and Genesis) and was ready to take the next step up to REAL BBQ. I did LOTS of research beginning in January and it was quite obvious the WSM was the ONLY way to go when it came to back-yard "low and slow" smoking. I pulled the trigger about a month ago and have absolutely no regrets. The Genesis still gets used about 2-3 times a week, but Saturdays and/or Sundays are for smoking. BTW, my wife first looked at me with one eyebrow raised when I showed her the WSM 18 1/2". She figured it was just another "guy toy" that would get stashed into the corner of the garage. After the bacon and ribs I smoked my second weekend, she's a convert too and is always looking for things to smoke.

I have nothing personal against anything "Brinkman", but it's like the difference between buying a Toyota or a Kia. Both are decent enough, but one is built better and will last longer. So... keep the Genesis and buy the WSM. I prefer the 18 1/2" model simply because it's the right size for just two of us (except when the kids are home for college).

Take it from another "nube". I spent 30+ years grilling on Webers (Smokey Joe, Kettle and Genesis) and was ready to take the next step up to REAL BBQ. I did LOTS of research beginning in January and it was quite obvious the WSM was the ONLY way to go when it came to back-yard "low and slow" smoking. I pulled the trigger about a month ago and have absolutely no regrets. The Genesis still gets used about 2-3 times a week, but Saturdays and/or Sundays are for smoking. BTW, my wife first looked at me with one eyebrow raised when I showed her the WSM 18 1/2". She figured it was just another "guy toy" that would get stashed into the corner of the garage. After the bacon and ribs I smoked my second weekend, she's a convert too and is always looking for things to smoke.

I have nothing personal against anything "Brinkman", but it's like the difference between buying a Toyota or a Kia. Both are decent enough, but one is built better and will last longer. So... keep the Genesis and buy the WSM. I prefer the 18 1/2" model simply because it's the right size for just two of us (except when the kids are home for college).

I must echo everything that Ron said. I just did my first cook on a 22 WSM and was VERY impressed. It will take my wife a while to get on board but she is coming around. I have been using a Performer for grilling and only just recently realized that it was not really BBQ. Had some great cooks on the Performer and will continue to but a smoker opens up a whole new dimension. Go with the WSM and you won't be disappointed. Let us know what you decide.

I have a friend who has turned out some really good BBQ on his Brinkmann electric. But his complaint is it is not consistant
in being able to control the temps. It is a cheap way to learn. But consider this, if you buy the 18" WSM and do not like it, you can
always find a buyer and get a good chunk of your money back. But you won't want to sell it after you learn how it works. There is
a bit of a learning curve, but everything good in life is worth taking the time to learn to do it the right way.

Like already said^^ Most of us started out with "ECB"s ( El Cheapo Brink-man's) and made decent Q. But we wanted something better and far superior and that led us to the WSM.:wsm:
This site alone should sell you on the product, It did for me!!

Tim

Agreed with all said above...esp the part about getting going on the charcoal Weber 22' grills. I reccommend a chimney starter too if you dont have one yet. ACE hardware has alot of stuff Weber to get ya going too. WSM all the way bro...and if you dont like it....You can mail it to me. Oh yeah an you can get a good Weber grill off Craigslist for under 50 bucks...well we got those all day long here in San Jose CA area.

Last edited:

Back