Taking the big jump

Another no for the brinkman. I have one at our cabin and this summer will be its last. Ive modded, tweaked, drilled, and fussed with that thing. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it. Planning to get a WSM, or possibly a 22.5 kettle this season to replace it. Starting to think kettle since it can smoke decently as well as HH...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I been looking at the WSM but couldnt seem to justify it, but the comments left are for sure going to make me pull the trigger. Thinking of trying chicken first. What do you guys think? Is there a better meat to try for the first round? Also, I head for charcoal, some brands are not worth the money due to there is coal, tons of glue, and other non flavorful items. What do you guys suggest.

Hi Andy,
Like everyone said... you'll be glad you went the WSM route. For your first cook, something simple that is very forgiving is probably best. A Boston Butt fits that bill completely. While chicken will take much less time and can turn out very good on the WSM, I would not do it for the first cook. A new WSM can have high temperature issues during your first cooks. Not only will the Boston Butt take it and keep on ticking, it also provides some of the needed 'gunk', other wise known as seasoning, that is needed to get the WSM temperatures under control.

Bob

Chalk me up in the WSM camp too. Got mine literally a month ago, have used it every weekend since and have been loving it.

This is my first smoker-- have enjoyed grilling for years, using my rather cheap gas grill, and have always been in awe of some of the stuff I saw a friend make on his WSM. Finally decided to get in the game this spring, but never thought I'd get the WSM. Sure, my friend talked it up quite a bit, but I didn't think I could justify the cost, and I also thought that getting something cheaper, like an electric of propane one might be better to cut my teeth on.

Long story short, I struck out at the big box stores when trying to find an electric or propane smoker, and on a hail-mary pass stopped in at the local hardware store and found they had a WSM for sale. Bought it and have been ever so thankful that I did.

So here's a wuestion that everyone ask's. where can you get the deals on these. I understand that weber controls the distributor sell price, but I was wondering if there are ever sales. I just missed a brand new 18" wsm for 160 on Craig's list :-/

Andy,

Many, or should I dare say most, of us bought the WSMs thru Amazon using the link on this site. Neat thing is that you are then helping support this excellent website !

Bob

Go with a wsm 18" and be done with it.
Welcome, Andy. I've owned both. The WSM is the Cadillac (i.e., "Standard of the World"). My strong advice is don't waste your time; $300 for an 18.5" WSM and you are cooking with the old timers. No brainer IMHO.

My first smoker was a $79 CharBroiler Double Chef and it was a great way to get addicted to smoking. When I was ready to step up, I researched all kinds of smokers; vertical cabinets, sfb's, wsm and the Apollo knock off but I always ended up coming back to the WSM. Couldn't be happier with this smoker. Now if my gasser grill would just die so I can get a Performer I'd be set.

I started to try and smoke on an old Genesis with smoker box. Then got cheap offset a few years ago at end of season from Lowes just to get my feet wet. Smoked mostly ribs and butt using small chunks of oak. Sometimes was great sometimes was like chewing on charcoal. GF bought me WSM 22 for my birthday a few months back. Unbelievably simple to use once you learn the basics. Got a DigiQ as well. Been using Kingsford blue with no complaints. Still gazillions to learn. Someone on here said not a bad cook if you learned something. And you will, every time. In terms of resource, this site. Keep digging. There are discussions on EVERYTHING. Good luck.

Andy,

So far the guys have given you phenomenal advice and strong support (not surprisingly) for the WSM. I'm sort of a 'Johnny-come-late' in this discussion, but thought I'd add my two cents in as well. In answering your questions, I've decided to summarize a few of your own statements and respond based on what you've stated are your needs and desires.

Been grilling pretty heavy for the past few years with the weber genesis and feel like I need to increase the challenge. I want to get into the BBQ scene but not sure where to start. Should I start brinkman or wsm?.............I want to get into the BBQ scene but not sure where to start..............I been gassing for a few yrs now and done rotisseries too but do not favor it compared to BBQ food I have had at sportsman clubs I am apart of during cook outs. I will only be cooking for my fiancé and myself. Looking at using it 2-3 times a week. If I would have extra food I would either food saver it or take it to work.........So I am hearing kettle and wsm. I don't have enough money or time explaining to the fiancé on why I have so many types of cook out equipment haha. So should I go wsm?

Based on your postings here are some key takeaways:

1. You will be grilling/cooking for yourself and your fiancee the vast majority of the time.
2. Based on this statement --> ". I don't have enough money or time explaining to the fiancé on why I have so many types of cook out equipment"; one machine that can perform multiple tasks is preferred over a single machine that can do a single task very well
3. Based also on the statement above, your budget is limited (though I either missed reading or you didn't supply a max budget for your puchase).

I'm going to make three recommendations, each based on an assumed max budget and assuming you are buying new in the box.

Budget $150 or less:

1. Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold - For grilling and smoking for two people, this grill is pretty hard to beat for the money. I've smoked an 8 lb boston butts for almost 12 hrs on a single load of Kingsford charcoal. I've also smoked three full racks of spare ribs for 6 hrs with no refill and minimal tending. It can also multi-task as a very capable 750+ degree searer and pizza maker, with a couple of firebricks and a pizza stone. I've turned out pizza on my Weber Performer (basically a OTG with a table and gas assist) that was better than I've done on my Green Egg. With proper care the grill can last a lifetime and can't be beat for the $$$.

Budget $300 or less.

1. Weber 26.75" One Touch Gold. All the reasons listed above, but add at least an additional rack of ribs capability, plus the ability to smoke a full packer brisket. Although you could probably turn out some good pizza, the big kettle requires a lot of coal to get and maintain high temps and isn't (obviously) as fuel efficient as the 22.5.

2. Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited. Going against the grain with this one. For $300, this is a pretty good quality smoker that has lots of space. It does need a few mods out of the box to make the best of it - high temp silicone sealing, build a custom charcoal basket to increase capacity for longer smokes, tuning plates to even out the heat. But you gain the capability to smoke many racks of ribs (or pork butts or briskets) at once without having to trim or cut. The firebox side doubles as a pretty good small grill.

For your needs, I say the Brinkmann is definitely a distant second compared to the Weber 26.75 because the main chamber isn't designed for high heat grilling. It really is a true offset smoker that has some grilling capabilities. But it's a step up from the $179 Wal-Mart Brinkmann or the CharGriller garbage that's tin-can thin, a maintenance nightmare, and easily rusts out in a couple of seasons. Ask me how I know :mad:

Hope this adds to helping you make an informed grilling decision. If you're patient do not overlook CraigsList. You can save a LOT, but as the grilling season has just begun, items now get swept up quickly!

Last edited:
George thank you for pointing out those pieces of equipment. I will look into these! I just need to figure out what i really need.

Tyler thank you for pointing these out. I will check them out,

Guys this is awesome! Great info. I got a little confused though. So i thought you would only cook ribs, BB, and such in the WSM to be able to smoke or consider it to be BBQ. Now you guys are introducing me to the kettles. I thought I wanted the WSM, but now I am seeing the kettles too. What is the difference between cooking with these two types of equipment. I am sorry for all the questions, I just am confused on what these pieces of equipment will do.

I see that Tyler was confused on what I want. Ill just restate.
Cooking for 2-3.
I have a Weber Genesis , that i use for quick cooking.
My budget is roughly $300 for the unit, not counting accessories.
I want to change up my style of cooking. I am a hunter, so I get wild game, but I also just love to cook.
I have been limited to steak, fish, and chicken on the grill along with on the rotisserie.
I would really like to cook pulled pork, ribs,brisket, and such. Playing with fire, and getting that low and slow cooking done would be awesome.
Creating my own rubs, and sauces down the road is what I look forward to learning also.
My comment about my fiance and the tons of toys meant, I do not want to purchase a ECB and then have to upgrade to the WSM. If i make a purchase I do not want to have to update in a short period of time due to the quality is not where it needs to be. I can have multiple toys, just I don't want to keep upgrading due to I am not buying quality items.

I am just a little confused with the WSM and now it has jumped to the kettle. If some one could point me on the straight and narrow, that be great.

No way would I ever use a Brinkmann. The only smoker besides a WSM I'd consider buying is one of those Masterbuilt cabinet-style smokers.

Andy, the WSM is a dedicated smoker. If you do a lot of grilling (steaks and burgers, for instance) the kettle is your practical choice as I pointed this out to you a couple of days ago. You can also use the kettle for smoking ribs and such.

Sorry George I must have over looked that. Since I already have the gas grill for grilling (mainly steak and chicken breast recently). I think I may go the WSM and then get the kettle down the road since I seem them all the time on CL. I can wait till i see a mint condition for cheap. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 18.5 WSM and if i have to in the future, I would add the additional section. It seems the 18.5 is more than enough for me and my fiance.

Andy,

The WSM is essentially a stretched kettle, with a smoking chamber to put more distance between the food (for lower temps). The center chamber also allows for an additional cooking rack and a water pan for heat dissipation (lowering the cooking temperatures).

Based on your comments here --> "I would really like to cook pulled pork, ribs,brisket, and such. Playing with fire, and getting that low and slow cooking done would be awesome" <-- it sounds like the WSM is the tool for you. Keep your gasser and do your high temp grilling there. But if you buy only one additional cooker, know that the WSM is NOT designed as a high temperature cooker. It can be done by removing the center section and using the top and bottom bowls as essentially a short kettle (that isn't designed to interlock together). But it can be made to work.

OTG Kettle or WSM you'll have a fine cooking machine that with care should last you many years.

Sorry George I must have over looked that. Since I already have the gas grill for grilling (mainly steak and chicken breast recently). I think I may go the WSM and then get the kettle down the road since I seem them all the time on CL. I can wait till i see a mint condition for cheap. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 18.5 WSM and if i have to in the future, I would add the additional section. It seems the 18.5 is more than enough for me and my fiance.

I think you are making a wise decision. Best of luck.

Sounds great Tyler! Ya I feel like I should get the dedicated smoker, so I can really concentrate on smoking when I do on the weekends. I will play with a kettle later this fall or next year. I really appreciate all the input everyone. Just trying to decide if I should do 18 or 22. I am thinking 18 for just me and the girl and maybe a friend or two.

Last edited:

Back