Taking the big jump

Sounds great Tyler! Ya I feel like I should get the dedicated smoker, so I can really concentrate on smoking when I do on the weekends. I will play with a kettle later this fall or next year. I really appreciate all the input everyone. Just trying to decide if I should do 18 or 22. I am thinking 18 for just me and the girl and maybe a friend or two.

Unless you're willing to either pony up another Ben Franklin (plus tax), or scour Craigslist for a deal, with a budget of $300 the 18.5 is going to be your only choice. From your enthusiasm seems you're ready to get started ASAP.

I've gotten some outstanding deals on Craigslist, but I bought all these after already having gadgets that covered my grilling needs. I bought a used Performer that needed a little work for 40 bucks, but a few hours of cleaning, and fixing a rusted leg it's now as good as a new one. Bought a new-in-box 26.75 One Touch Gold kettle last year for $180. And a couple of months ago, landed a used 22.5" WSM for 200 bucks, which is an unusual steal in my area - even for Craigslist.

With all that said, regarding your question about the 18.5 vs 22.5 WSM I'll give the advice most here would. Get the 22.5, cry once, but have all the capacity you'll need. And at some point, the more you get caught up this "obsession" the more you'll appreciate that extra space.

With all that said, regarding your question about the 18.5 vs 22.5 WSM I'll give the advice most here would. Get the 22.5, cry once, but have all the capacity you'll need. And at some point, the more you get caught up this "obsession" the more you'll appreciate that extra space.
This was the approach I took. I had to stretch my budget to do the 22", but it was worth it. I mostly just do a brisket or a butt at a time for myself, but when it's time to smoke for a party I can do 2 packers and 3 or 4 butts all at once.

Took the jump! Got a 18.5 wsm. Since its just me and the fiancé I figured the size was more then enough, and in the future when I need the capacity i can get the bigger one down the road(hopefully for a while). Since I'm new I won't be cooking alot of meat because its a large learning curve at the moment. Ended up getting a great deal on a new one which allowed me to get the digital thermometer and the chimney for the price of a 18.5.

How should I season this new toy. Should I run some heat and just smoke some wood with no food in it?

Now just need to pick my first recipe.
You guys mentioned the Boston butt. Any suggestions for a beginer recipe on here. I'd like to make my own sauce too. I'm open to suggestions cause I am as new as you get.

Congrats on the purchase. Never waste charcoal. The best way to season is to cook in the thing. Start with a pork butt or whole chicken or both. They are very forgiving and simple. Good luck.

Thanks Curtis. I am very excited. Wanted to go for the big guy, but I got in the game for a low price. With the 18.5. I think this will be a great starter!

Just go buy a store bought rub or make a simple one from the site with sugar, salt, pepper, garlic, etc. get some blue bag kingford and wood chunks and go for it!! That is what I did on my jan 1 cook this year.

Not sure if you are referring to a Brinkman offset or electric, but either way I'd say go WSM.

You probably won't find anyone on this forum who recommends otherwise. This is a Weber forum after all.

I smoked on a chargriller offset for about a year, then upgraded to a WSM. There is really no comparison.

Using an offset is time consuming and frustrating as can be. You have to feed the fire every hour and even then you can't really keep a steady temp.

A WSM can go up to 15 hours on one charcoal load. This enables the user to do overnight smoking which adds a whole new element to the obsession.

I personally don't like getting up super early on the weekend to smoke a boston butt or brisket, so what I'll usually do is start it late Friday or Saturday night, say around 11:00/12:00, then it will finish about noon the next day.

Took the jump! Got a 18.5 wsm. Since its just me and the fiancé I figured the size was more then enough, and in the future when I need the capacity i can get the bigger one down the road(hopefully for a while). Since I'm new I won't be cooking alot of meat because its a large learning curve at the moment. Ended up getting a great deal on a new one which allowed me to get the digital thermometer and the chimney for the price of a 18.5.

How should I season this new toy. Should I run some heat and just smoke some wood with no food in it?

Now just need to pick my first recipe.
You guys mentioned the Boston butt. Any suggestions for a beginer recipe on here. I'd like to make my own sauce too. I'm open to suggestions cause I am as new as you get.

Big congrats to you! I think you'll be quite pleased that you went with a superior-quality product that will last forever and pump out some terrific smoked goodies!

I didn't see the thread this in time to offer an option that I didn't see mentioned previously, but I thought I'd go ahead and add for anyone in a similar position who might be reading and looking for options. I actually am a big fan of the 22.5" kettle and then the Cajun Bandit smoker attachment. I have two of these that I use in competition, in addition to a 26.75" with a Smoke-EZ, so I have several grills that may also be smokers, if needed. I do some catering, etc, but I primarily compete with these and they work very well. What I like about the kettle is that you have an outstanding normal charcoal grill, plus a fine smoker for smaller stuff, and then the Cajun Bandit has a place for two grates, doubling your cooking surface if needed. Additionally, I also use large round 17-3/4" wire baking/cooling racks and get several levels of cooking out of the Cajun Bandit if higher volume is needed. It just makes for a very flexible arrangement, and allows me to cook different foods at different temps and with different woods, etc. Just another of a host of great options presented here from everyone, not the least of which is the WSM. I'll actually be adding a 22.5" into the arsenal soon for additional capacity for catering purposes.

Andy, can't wait to see pics of some tasty creations! Have an idea of what your first couple of cooks might be? Some suggestions might be a pork butt (very forgiving, and always seem to turn out good even if I've messed 'em up to a degree...lol) with a little cherry wood, spatchcocked chicken (be sure to do a higher heat for this one...maybe, 325-350 or so) over olive or pecan, or a tri-tip smoked is outstanding (I like red oak).

As others have mentioned, no need to season. You do that in ceramics and iron smokers, primarily. Very best of luck for some great cooks!

Last edited:
Thanks bud! I'm looking at doing a Boston butt Saturday and ribs Sunday. Pretty excited. Started another thread for the Boston butt. Appreciate the input!

Took the jump! Got a 18.5 wsm. Since its just me and the fiancé I figured the size was more then enough, and in the future when I need the capacity i can get the bigger one down the road(hopefully for a while).

Congratulations!! You'll definitely enjoy your new 18.5 WSM.

You mention going bigger eventually, but on the other hand, since it's just you and your fiance you might at times even find the 18.5 too big. This is where the mini-WSM rocks. You might just end up with a mini before you go to the 22.5. :)

Back