Smoking Beef Roasts

Steven Johnson

Has anyone ever smoked a rump roast or a chuck roast on the smoker? If so what were the results...this is something that I've always wondered about but never see anyone talking about it.

I actually smoke a rump roast this past February. It turned out wonderful. My wife and I made some great beef sandwiches. Rub the roast with a salt and pepper base rub. Pulled it off when the I/T reach 125. Let it cool down a bit, and sliced. I used lump coal along with oak chunks.

Never did a rump, but dozens of chucks over the years. Pulled chuck is great. Look around the site, plenty of beef getting smoked.

Only chuckies here: PSB and pot roasts. I'd like to try rump sometime.

Here's an idea: http://virtualweberbullet.com/shreddedbeef.html

Last edited:
Cook chuck roasts low and slow to around 195- 200*F or until they are able to shread. Rump roast to me is a top or bottom round roast and those should be cooked hot and fast and no more than medium rare IMO.

I actually smoke a rump roast this past February. It turned out wonderful. My wife and I made some great beef sandwiches. Rub the roast with a salt and pepper base rub. Pulled it off when the I/T reach 125. Let it cool down a bit, and sliced. I used lump coal along with oak chunks.

Totally agree!
I do a lot of rumps, and I try to target 255 or so. I also take it till 125 and do a quick sear at the end.
Best dang roast biff sandwhich out there, and I come from Chicago, where we know how to do a proper Italian Beef Sammy.:)

Tim

For those that have done rump roast to 125*, how tender is it sliced thin for sandwiches. I made some great sandwiches with a prime rib, but that is a little pricey for sandwiches. Looking for an alternative.

For those that have done rump roast to 125*, how tender is it sliced thin for sandwiches. I made some great sandwiches with a prime rib, but that is a little pricey for sandwiches. Looking for an alternative.

Jeff, after the sear I'm looking for med-rare 135 or so. If cooked to rare the meat is too soft to slice thinly, unless you fridge it over-nite.

Tim

It's just fine, and I also like sirloin tip roasts and chuck roasts for sandwich meat. Here's a tip roast from last summer:

First beef roast I ever did was a prime rib roast. Marinated it over night, injected it with a beef broth based marinade, salt and pepper rub, smoked in oak. Man it was GOOD!! I REALLY like oak on beef.

Here's a thread I posted a couple years ago, and it's something I do a couple times a year. The roast is off the top butt primal. Here in the east it's called New York Sirloin steak or a spoon roast. As this cut is rather lean, don't use select grade if at all possible. Choice grade or better will give you superior flavor and moisture. In stores where they still have meat cutters, you can ask for any amount of fat cap left on. Usually the cap is a little over an inch thick out of the cryovac. Some can be trimmed off, but you are better off cooking it with the thicker cap. You can cut off as much as you like later. I've also found over the years that over smoking these makes for a lousy tasting roast. I cook mine to no more than 145 internal, foil, then let 'em rest for a minimum of 20 minutes. It will slice into a thing of beauty.

My dad used to buy 1" thick steaks of this cut, smother the outside with mustard and grill it on an ultra hot fire.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?7508-Smoked-roast-beef-parrothead-style-pics-included

Some notes from my cook of chucks. I've done it a few times, and it is a good bang for the buck cook.

Pulled Beef

6.7 pounds total, 2 chuck roasts from Sam’s

rubbed with same mix used for brisket

Minion start with 30 Kingsford briquets, hickory chunks, full pan H2O, vents only about 15% open

8 hours at about 220 degrees; meat at 165

put meat in foil pan, covered tightly with foil; opened vents to get WSM to 225; stirred coals

3 more hours in foil; meat at 190 to 200+, depending on spot.

wrapped in towels and placed in ice chest for 4 hours. Meat at 140 when removed.

Pulled beef with 2 forks. Made a batch of No. 5 sauce.

Used to make sandwiches and tacos

Some notes from my cook of chucks. I've done it a few times, and it is a good bang for the buck cook.

Pulled Beef

6.7 pounds total, 2 chuck roasts from Sam’s

rubbed with same mix used for brisket

Minion start with 30 Kingsford briquets, hickory chunks, full pan H2O, vents only about 15% open

8 hours at about 220 degrees; meat at 165

put meat in foil pan, covered tightly with foil; opened vents to get WSM to 225; stirred coals

3 more hours in foil; meat at 190 to 200+, depending on spot.

wrapped in towels and placed in ice chest for 4 hours. Meat at 140 when removed.

Pulled beef with 2 forks. Made a batch of No. 5 sauce.

Used to make sandwiches and tacos

I've recently done something similar, and it turned out great. I used a couple 2-1/2-to-3lb. chuck arm roasts. Rubbed them down with my brisket rub and hit them pretty hard and fast at 300 degrees over some mesquite until they hit 165 degrees. Then I foiled them with a splash of beef stock and a bit of finely chopped garlic and put 'em back on for about 5 hours at 225 degrees, at which point they were pretty much liquid. Pulled them off and dumped the juices from the foil into a bowl or pan and pulled the meat and placed it in with the juice. I added a half-stick of butter and some sauce, and much yummy-ness ensued. I served it on buns the same way you'd serve pulled pork, and it disappeared really fast.

I just did a rump roast on the WSM today for the first time. It came out great. I left all the vents wide open and let it go until it hit 125*. After a 15 minute rest it was great.

As a side note this was the first time I used my new Maverick ET-732. Calibrated it with boiling water. Both probes read 214*. What got my attention was that the temp at the grate was ~40* higher than the dome therm reading.

Back