Smoked roast beef... parrothead style.. pics included.

Jim S

TVWBB Fan
So I went to my 'better' meat market and picked up a nice roast... Certified Angus top sirloin butt, choice grade. This puppy weighed in at a little under 9 pounds.... about 7 inches thick. The butcher wanted to cut off a lot of the fat, but I knew better... that stuff would all render off in the WSM. This piece was cut straight off the primal, and whatever was left is still in my freezer.

IMG_3338SMENH.jpg

IMG_3337SMENH2.jpg

Homemade injector juice and rub..... the juice is nothing more than a couple tablespoons of rub added to a shot of whisky, a shot of soybean oil, brown mustard and enough water to fill the jar.

IMG_3339SMENH.jpg

Injected meat.... it spent the night and most of Saturday in the fridge.

IMG_3343SMENH.jpg

Saturday evening, drinking a few cold ones, I gave the meat a nice thick coating of rub...

IMG_3346SMENH.jpg

Onto the WSM....

IMG_3353SMENH.jpg

I took it off after the meat hit 140F internal, and let it rest. I used only a couple chunks of hickory for smokewood, and it was enough to get me a thin smoke ring. That was only after about 3 1/2 hrs with a 275/300F lid temp.

IMG_3357SMENH.jpg

Unfortunately I was unable to grab photos of the inside... the vultures that are my relatives left me only enough to make a few paltry sandwiches once I sliced it up. It must have been **** good hot, 'cause I took a break to change strings on my guitar. By the time I got back, the meat was cold and very much picked over.

Looks outstanding and with everything you did to that roast, it had to be packed with flavor.

I have enough recipes I "just have to try" for the next ten years, I think. Another one added to the list.

Fantastic!

Originally posted by Geir Widar:
I have enough recipes I "just have to try" for the next ten years, I think. Another one added to the list.

Fantastic!

Agreed Geir...agreed! Excellent job Jim!

Originally posted by Bill_W:
So how did they trick you, the cook, into changing guitar strings while they ate dinner?

Wasn't tricked. My niece wanted to play my Strat. She helped a bit, and it only took me 15 minutes to do a new setup. I listened to her play a bit, then left her to rock out. By that time, the carnage was more or less complete.

Looks very good! I am planning to do a roast next weekend. I was thinking of just injecting it with beef broth and letting it marinate in beef broth and onions the night before. Then just put some salt and pepper on it right before it goes onto the smoker, use 3 chunks of mesquitte and cook at about 250.

Looks great jim. I often have that problem with not getting the sliced/plated pics due to the feeding frenzy, I guess that's a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Tony Lampher:
Looks very good! I am planning to do a roast next weekend. I was thinking of just injecting it with beef broth and letting it marinate in beef broth and onions the night before. Then just put some salt and pepper on it right before it goes onto the smoker, use 3 chunks of mesquitte and cook at about 250.

Welcome to the board Tony. Your ideas sound alright, as long as you watch out for the salt content. As the meat cooks, the salt will get a bit concentrated inside and out. I'd also not be so definite about the heat level, depending on the cut, fat content, how big it is, and how well done you like it. Be aware that a very lean piece of meat might not come out too tender unless you A: baste it often or B: sear up the outside with a blast of high heat first, then lower the heat so the insides don't overcook.

Should I skip applying the salt? I could also inject with the broth and then marinate in a beef gravy mix instead. What would you recommend I cook it at? I could run it with some butter and sear it on the stove to if you think that will make a big difference.

Depends on what you are using for broth. Homemade stock can have far less salt in it than store bought. As far as cook temps go, I can't give any advice without knowing what you are cooking. Something with lots of fat like a piece of chuck can handle low & slow fairly well. Forget about searing it. You will not get much smoke penetration at all, and that's one of the flavors that enhances the roast.

Jims - you won't understand the text, but do try Google translate. Pics of some of my stringed instruments, ten or more missing. need to update..
icon_smile.gif

Some friends that can play, some kind of strange creature called "a drummer", and a BBQ is unforgettable!

http://forum.gitarnorge.no/top..._findpost__p__282215

Please follow the link in my signature. If you want to listen to one track, choose "No, i shot"

Back