Big Green Egg and WSM

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Hey folks,

Do any of you own both the WSM and BGE??? If so, what do you tend to cook on one versus the other? I know the BGE will do high temp seers as well as low and slow, but I'm curious where one might excel over the other for BBQ?

Thanks for any input as I'm considering adding a BGE to my cooking arsenal.

I had a BGE first and then purchased my WSM. After using the WSM I filled the BGE with dirt. It is sitting on the front porch. My wife has planted flpwers in it. It makes a beutiful flower pot.

Old Arkybum

I have both and lately I have been using the BGE. I find that it is easier to regulate the temperature and since I don't have a grill(I don't count my gasser), it is great for the high temp seers that you mention. I have not made any pizza on it, but I am looking forward to it. I still have the WSM and will keep it, but, if I had the dough and could only get one, it would be the BGE...tom

According to my wife, my goal is to have one of each kind of grill. That's not entirely true, but not far off.

I've looked at the BGE, and even with the larger models, I think capacity would be much less than the WSM. However, that very high heat searing ability is intriging.

To my wife, one kettle or gasser looks like another, but I think it would be hard to diguise a BGE.
icon_smile.gif
I think I had 3 Ford tractors, but when I got the John Deere, she knew immediately.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I think I had 3 Ford tractors, but when I got the John Deere, she knew immediately. Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grill guys (and gals) count up the number of grills/smokers/cookers. Car guys count up the number of cylinders in cars, trucks, chain saws, etc. You seem to do both. FOUR TRACTORS???

Ken (from Atlanta, standing in awe)

One reaston I keep the WSM is that the BGE does not have the capacity of the WSM with its two cooking levels. There is an extender which I just got, but it does not look like it will compete with the bottom grid. I am still getting used to the BGE, but I will keep my WSM....tom

I have a different ceramic cooker (Kamado), and I use it mostly for grilling, and for extra low/slow capacity if I'm cooking for a larger crowd. I find the WSM to be more reliably controllable over long periods of time, not to mention it is more easily portable.

My Kamado is probably the best grill I have ever owned, and with a bit more practice I'm sure I could master the temp control a bit better. Then again, since I have a WSM, and I'm dialed into how to control it, I haven't bothered to spend the time.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Irwin: FOUR TRACTORS???
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant was I had a blue Ford tractor and replaced it a couple of times with a different, blue Ford tractor. Only when I changed entirely to a JD green did I get caught with a "new tractor"
icon_smile.gif
. However, I do have a smaller Kubota, also.

I do like tractors, especially with front end loaders.

Paul

I have both. If you already have a grill and are just looking for a smoker, my advice is the WSM all the way. You cannot beat it as far as Price, Cooking Space, and Ease of use IMHO. I have smoked on both and cannot tell any difference in the finished product. I got my BGE as a gift and it came with a GURU. I have never tried to use it without the GURU so I couldn't tell you if it is as easy to use as the WSM.
The other huge selling point of the WSM is this site. I have never found a forum like this where you can get so much help with your cooking and techniques.

If you are considering a ceramic cooker, take a peek at the Grill Dome. It is better quality than the BGE for substantially less money. You can see
them at grilldome.com

The BGE has its idiosyncrasies, just like the WSM. If you learn how to cook with it, you'll get good results. A pal of mine has one and loves it. I went to an EggFest with him a few months ago. Really fun event with free beer, peer-judged competition, free beer, seminars, free beer, live music and free beer. BGE sponsors these events and does a great job of branding and keeping the BGE cult excited. I'm not likely to buy one, but next year, I'm going in with him on the competition. He smokes bacon on his BGE and does great bacon appetizers and tasty bits. His name happens to be Kevin and our team name will be Kevin's Bacon. Did I mention that the beer was free?

Jeff
Jeff

The BGE has its idiosyncrasies, just like the WSM. If you learn how to cook with it, you'll get good results. A pal of mine has one and loves it. I went to an EggFest with him a few months ago. Really fun event with free beer, peer-judged competition, free beer, seminars, free beer, live music and free beer. BGE sponsors these events and does a great job of branding and keeping the BGE cult excited. I'm not likely to buy one, but next year, I'm going in with him on the competition. He smokes bacon on his BGE and does great bacon appetizers and tasty bits. His name happens to be Kevin and our team name will be Kevin's Bacon. Did I mention that the beer was free?

Jeff
Jeff

How did you like the smoke taste on the bacon?

Really?
That much mention of free beer and you ask about the smoke taste on bacon?
My assumption would be that it doubtless tastes smoky, as bacon should.

The BGE faction is pretty weak around here but, it would be much stronger if they promoted it like that, the WSM community around here just quietly keeps sharing things and buying beer, not a lot of competitions, not that I’d enter, been down sections of that road, don’t need bragging rights over what I do. Thems that likes it are welcome to share anytime, bring beer, them what doesn’t, stay home.

Last edited:
The BGE faction is pretty weak around here but, it would be much stronger if they promoted it like that, the WSM community around here just quietly keeps sharing things and buying beer, not a lot of competitions, not that I’d enter, been down sections of that road, don’t need bragging rights over what I do. Thems that likes it are welcome to share anytime, bring beer, them what doesn’t, stay home.

Any event involving barbecue, live music and free beer is pretty well attended down here. There were probably 500 people at this one. It felt more like a big neighborhood picnic than a competition. BGE supplies the cookers and a pop-up -- even your team signage. All you do is show up with your ingredients and have at it. If you win, you get one of those really big BGEs. There are prizes down to about 10th place. There were accessory vendors (Kingsford was one) and a general atmosphere of fun. I wish Weber would have a go at something like this.

Jeff

Kevin's bacon is delicious. I don't know how he does it, but I think it involves both cold and hot smoke. He starts with a big slab of pork belly and murmurs incantations before he puts it in the BGE. :)

Do you have to,”try”to sing like Kenny Loggins, dance like KB or, proffer some such pelvic gyrations to make good bacon on. BGE?

Any event involving barbecue, live music and free beer is pretty well attended down here. There were probably 500 people at this one. It felt more like a big neighborhood picnic than a competition. BGE supplies the cookers and a pop-up -- even your team signage. All you do is show up with your ingredients and have at it. If you win, you get one of those really big BGEs. There are prizes down to about 10th place. There were accessory vendors (Kingsford was one) and a general atmosphere of fun. I wish Weber would have a go at something like this.

Jeff
Wow, that sound like more fun than I’m worthy of!

Back