Access Door...

I travel with my job for a living, can't live without the WSM, so it goes where I go
icon_smile.gif

...thing is, the aluminum door is always getting banged up/bent etc.
If anyone makes a thicker/stronger door, I'd pay good money for it!

I hear ya Mike.
The original WSMs had a steel access door. Very robust.
Ever thought of taking your door to a metal fabricator to see if they could make one? Could be an oppurtunity for ya for a little cottage industry.

The problem with the original steel door and legs were that they rusted. This would be a consideration in choosing an alternate material for the door.

Regards,
Chris

Not sure how you go about transporting your WSM, but it seems that if you took the door off for travel and maybe put it inside the WSM, you would incur less damage. Maybe you could fabricate a bracket to hold to door on the inside of the middle section when you travel.

I have always put my door in the WSM when on the road . They are happy in the fire ring as movement is restricted.

Rick

I think it gets out of shape if the wind blows too hard.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I love the WSM, but really, really, hate that cheesy door.
icon_mad.gif
I've been saying for years, I was going to make one out of better metal. I'll prob forget, but let me see what I can come up with.

Nope sorry Ed, I didnt take any pictures when I did it. Not much to see really, I bought some high temp silicone, it was more grey then black. Put a bead of it on the door in all the areas it comes in contact with the wsm and then smushed the door in and locked it. I also squeezed a bit more into a couple places where the gap was bigger (the top). Then I used a rag to remove the excess. Let it set for a couple days before I used it, voila. Best of all it looks completely stock. Its not for everybody, I know alot of people use their door for adding fuel, extra airflow etc, but I dont miss it a bit. If I need more air I crack my lid a bit, if I need more fuel I hot squat it. That was 8 months ago and its still holding strong.

Brandon

u sealed your door.. .. thats the coolest thing i've ever heard.. lol. so simple too. Probably gives you bit more control too if your like me and use a foiled pan only a lot of the time. You know how that can be a bit more unstable (althought not that bad when your used to it, just on windy days it sux) thanks dude! I may do that. I need to look in these parts of the forum more often.

Yeah Dan, I just couldent get it to fit right, seemed like no matter how carefully I tried to bend and fit I only made it worse, so I got sick of it and sealed the sucker shut. Like I said before, its probably not for everyone. That said, I kind of wish the door wasnt there at all. In hind sight, it might have been cool to paint the door with high temp paint before sealing it.....hmmm. Maybe when it gets warm out again.

You could take your original door, and maybe the whole WSM to a metal shop, and they might be able to bend one out of a thin stainless steel for you. If your lucky, you could get a polished piece to shine up, and at some shine to your WSM
icon_cool.gif

My Buddy that helped me make my original WSM on steriods just stopped by and thought that making the access door out of stainless and tighter fit isn't that diff. will let you know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
My Buddy that helped me make my original WSM on steriods just stopped by and thought that making the access door out of stainless and tighter fit isn't that diff. will let you know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A metal shop with a roll former should be able to roll a door to the right diameter without too much trouble. Have him start with a strip long enough to make 2-3 doors - you won't have any trouble getting rid of the extras, just post them on here.
icon_biggrin.gif

Have him make 4
icon_biggrin.gif
Send me a PM to let me know if you want $$ in advance.

BTW - AFA sealing the door with silicone. I have been thinking about this but not as permanent. If you coat the WSM side only with grease, clean the "gasket area" of the door well and wipe again with acetone as prep you would be able to make a gasket the will stick to the door but not the WSM leaving the door removable.

I have used this method many times on other projects and know it works. This also works when painting to mask areas of objects.

Pretty sure I read a post on this site where someone did just that.

Bill, I am interested in the 10" SS Collar for the RK: How much, and whaddya use it for/with? Just to expand and make a much larger smoking chamber? Rotissiere? Or do you have multiple grill levels, and really load it up with nine to twelve briskets?

Sorry for the delay, its been snowing non-stop and haven't had time to go online. I'll have him give me an idea $ for the Access door tonight or tommorrow, as I write this post it's snowing and we both plow seperatly. The Ranch ring was added for more capacity, As you know, with the lid on it resticts where and how much product you can put on it without hitting the lid ie Beer can chicken etc. The ring eliminates this and allows 1.5 more capacity. The Ring is 3/16" solid stainless and the grate is expanded steel. (Looks Prof.) I'll try to have my wife post pics tonite. Bill

Bill's idea is right on. I often leave the collar from the EZ-Que on the Performer to give me the height advantage he's talking about to keep the lid from hitting taller items or to use the larger grill extenders. I have grill extenders that are made for Primo grills that I place on top of the stock food grate.

Back