Access Door...

Dennis, My buddy has been very busy at work, oddly enough but brought up to him and will look a t getting some made soon. I r'vd your e-mail will let you know soon about $.

I've been tossing this idea around for a bit. How about using a cut out section of a 55 gallon drum as a door? You may need to take some of the curve out of it though. I was thinking of doing that and putting in an adjustable vent in the door also.

i would prolly shop around for a plastic container or a small cooler to put the door in. if your traveling with the wsm space doesnt sound like an issue. even wrapping it up in an old towel and putting it in a box isnide the wsm would liekly do the trick.

I talked to my buddy yesterday and he said he is going to start to make the stainless steel access door this week! I don't know what the cost is going to be but what he said was that he was doing this as a favor for me and that the supply is going to be very limited, probably only 2 4x8 sheets of stainless worth, so let me know.

I think a more stout door would help some, but you will still have some air gap. After working with some wood stove glass gasket this winter, I wonder if the fiberglass gasket might do the trick with our doors. The gasket material I am talking about isn't round, but a flat piece of woven fiberglass that gets wrapped around the edges of glass doors on wood and pellet stoves. I just might give this a try. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

The product I am speaking of is http://www.rutland.com/back/tds/document_36.pdf
There is a disclaimer that it is not recommended that this product come in contact with food, however.

Hi Tony, Give it a try and if you start to cough up blood we will know not to use it.(just kidding). At work we use to make up our own gaskets from flat stock. It came in different thicknesses. and different materials.
It was bought I think thru Granger.I'll look into it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
My buddy stopped by tonight and took my access door to make the prototype, should be ready soon! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome!

Hi Bill, How's that door coming? I can't wait to see it. I have a 22 and the door is really flimsy. Please post pictures when it's done. Thanks, Shaun

Tony, if I was going to use gasket material I'd use an oven gasket. They are not cheap but will stand up to high temps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
They should be done this week. He had to set-up roller etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

I have been following the thread and I would be very interested in getting two doors if that would be possible.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Hi Bill, How's that door coming? I can't wait to see it. I have a 22 and the door is really flimsy. Please post pictures when it's done. Thanks, Shaun </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Bill - let us know how that prototype is working out
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back