Access Door...

back to the transport topic, I like to just tape it on using that blue painters tape. It sticks well but doesn't leave a residue. Worked well for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Catencamp:
I think a more stout door would help some, but you will still have some air gap. After working with some wood stove glass gasket this winter, I wonder if the fiberglass gasket might do the trick with our doors. The gasket material I am talking about isn't round, but a flat piece of woven fiberglass that gets wrapped around the edges of glass doors on wood and pellet stoves. I just might give this a try. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

The product I am speaking of is http://www.rutland.com/back/tds/document_36.pdf
There is a disclaimer that it is not recommended that this product come in contact with food, however. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Green Egg makes a gasket kit for their smokers, that I'm going to try this weekend. It is a peel and stick gasket, I found some locally. I'll let you know how it works.

After trying to conform the door to the 22" WSM I gave up and used the fiberglass gasket for glass doors. I put a layer on the cooker outlining the door opening and a layer on the inside edge of the door itself so there is a double layer in contact with the door closed. It's tighter than a drum with no leaks, not even a whisper of smoke.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred R.:
After trying to conform the door to the 22" WSM I gave up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When you go to bend the door to fit the WSM, you need to bend the part of the door that's touching the WSM's mid section back away from the mid section so the parts of the door that are not touching, come closer to the mid section if this makes sense to you. If you try to bend the parts of the door that are not touching the WSM's midsection, it makes matters worse. Tried to word this so it makes sense. I know this sounds like the opposite of what you should do, but trust me it works.
icon_wink.gif

The Cajun Bandit door has been on for two cooks and I couldn't figure out how to get a good seal.

The original is now back on and will see if it was in fact better. I think it will be.

Just slightly over bend the top of the door for a good fit. Start at one top corner and start bending gently in towards the other top corner holding the top edge between your palms and fingers. Move across the top edge bending little by little every inch or so until you get to the other top corner. Just don't bend it so much at any one spot that it starts to fold.

When you're done the door is actually bent to a tighter radius than the smoker. When you install the door the aluminum will flex enough that you can still latch the handle and if you were careful enough, the door will fit extremely tight. The door actually has to mold to the smoker to allow the handle to come in far enough to latch.

Good luck and be gentle. You can always bend it tighter if you have to.

Back