Have You Given Your Grill of Smoker a Name?

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Might sound wacky, but I would guess that some of us have given your Weber a name?
What do you call it?

That should read grill OR smoker in the title, but I can't change it.

Never thought of it before. Don't know if it matters. I just call my smoker the WSM and my grill the Performer.
Works for me.

when good tasting food comes off my smoker or grill, I call it darlin'
when **** tasting food comes off my smoker or grill, I call it a day.

I named my kettle Tony when I got him (it) a sombrero (comal)

The idea of naming it, came from Tony, all his BBQ's have names

The performer the "performer", SJ mini the Mini, E320 the gasser, Genesis 1000 with green top the greenie, the 18.5 WSM the "low life egg sucking dog that won't get hot"

I purchased an old green 2006 performer off of CL. The lid vent has DR stamped on it so the Lady of the House started calling it "Doctor Green", the name stuck.

There is a name for 2 of the 5 that I have. The kettle is 79 for the year it was built. The WSM is Uncle Fred.

Rita's dog name tops them all.

I didn't name my 14.5 WSM but my dad did. He said it looked like R2D2 so that's what I've been calling it and I simply call my 22.5 Simpsons edition "Homer" and I have christened my "C" code WSM with the name "Black Pearl"

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Last edited:
I sometimes refer to my WSM as the "meat canon." I know it is weird and I am not really sure how the nickname came about....

I have an old red kettle that is named Lucy.

My gas grill genesis is named Jennifer.

My 18.5 wsm is called Black Betty.

How funny, I got my WSM in early October and I had agreed to cater my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary party which was October 26th.
Knowing I needed to learn how to cook on the WSM quickly I went into power BBQ'ing mode and did several back to back cooks.
During the fourth cook my wife asked if I liked the smoker and I told her I liked it so much I was going to name it.... I never did name it but maybe I should give that more consideration.

Back