Yucatan Kabik for the 3000th

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
First things first, an apology to all as I had intended to do this cook on the WSM, but 13 inches of snow then driving sleet and rain and 40 mph gusts put a end to it.
So I used some cooks I have seen Rick Bayless do to come up with this, I learn a lot from that man. Sort of the Alton Brown of Mexican Food.
Anyhow, the spices first as I made a homemade Achiote Paste. You grind the following up in a spice or coffee grinder, about two to three tbsp of each.
Achiote Seeds- 3 tbsp of these
Coriander Seeds
Cumin
Cloves, whole, about 6
Black Pepper Seeds
Mexican Oregano
Cinnamon Sticks - 1

You grind them then lay on a flex cutting board, sprinkle 1 tbsp of Kosher on top, then you place eight cloves of roasted garlic diced up on top

DSC_0574_zpse4ddc2d8.jpg

You mash them all together, then you drizzle on some Apple Cider Vinegar, a couple tablespoons and mash some more to you get this.
Heaven

DSC_0577_zps9cf0f536.jpg

Roasted three large Poblano's, you don't take the black skin or the seeds off, make a slit down one side of a few inches

DSC_0580_zpsc40eee55.jpg

Got a hold of some nice beef short ribs and trimmed them and cut them between the ribs

DSC_0581_zpsea2881c1.jpg

Dice up a nice ripe Plantain

DSC_0586_zpsa8449bb7.jpg

Brown your meat in a CI Dutch with some vegetable oil, then remove and put in your green pepper and half a red onion along with four cloves of diced up garlic

DSC_0584_zpsd835df93.jpg

Take about half of your Achiote, put it in the blender with two cups of water and blend completely

DSC_0587_zps27a92903.jpg

Layer your meat, a fresh herb called Episoto, the Plantain and a small can of diced tomatoes on top of the onions and peppers and garlic, then lay your slit Pablano's on top, sprinkle with some crushed Mexican Oregano, pour your Achiote Broth in and into a 350 oven or WSM for about three hours.

DSC_0590_zpsdfe01000.jpg

Last edited:
On the table with the CEO's Corn Bread

DSC_0592_zpsf4c950f8.jpg

Your plate, this is one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted

DSC_0601_zps6a2404e0.jpg

Needed a celebratory finish, I found it, twice

DSC_0602_zps8926e9c2.jpg

Take Care
Bill

Bill. Dang good looking cook. But is southern boy saw that cornbread stealth'g in the back. Warm up the honey in the morning,,,

Dont worry about the lid on this one hehehe...

Bill; excellent cook! I'm a big fan of Bayless and he would say you did a fantastic job! The plated pic is perfect.

Okay Bill, never had a meal such as that in my life. If I could handle the spicyness I would be right beside you chowing down a big plate full. Well done my friend.

Back