Your local dish?

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was thinking about this as I made Pepper and Egg sandwich today.( good Friday)
It's something that was concocted in Chicago by Italian immigrants for lent.
Curious what you would call your own?

Last edited:
I’m told that “olive burgers” are a southwestern lower Michigan thing. A green olive/mayonnaise sort of a thing. Salty as all get out but, they are pretty good. Take a half a jar of olives and smash them into maybe a cup of mayo that’s the “joint” recipe. I use both and incorporate some grated Parmesan as well, a spoonful of dill relish or, sweet relish, shot of sriracha... the mind boggles! Not a good thing to think about on Good Friday! But, maybe for Monday?

Lutefisk. I suspect only a very few eat it regularly but the Lutheran churches usually have lutefisk suppers in the fall.

One of these days I'm going to actually follow through on my threat to attempt a cedar plank version.

The first thing that came to mind, is Key Lime Pie. I hope to have a Key Lime tree growing in our back yard soon.

Lutefisk. I suspect only a very few eat it regularly but the Lutheran churches usually have lutefisk suppers in the fall.

One of these days I'm going to actually follow through on my threat to attempt a cedar plank version.
Won't the lutefisk render the cedar plank inedible?

Two of St Louis' iconic foods are gooey butter cake and toasted ravioli.

No snoots and St. Paul sandwiches, Bob?

I forget where I read it because it was some time ago, but St. Louis has a surprisingly high number of unique regional foods.

Won't the lutefisk render the cedar plank inedible?
It'd still be way more edible than Provel...

It'd still be way more edible than Provel...
Where's that ignore member button? :mad:
Tim did say "dish" and I gave two.
Another one would be hot salami from Gioia's:
Slingers another:

Where's that ignore member button? :mad:
Tim did say "dish" and I gave two.
Another one would be hot salami from Gioia's:
Slingers another:
I did a couple of jobs there back in the late 70's, I think I tried both of them.

Is that similar to scrapple? I had that a few times driving thru Pennsylvania Dutch country .
I have been told it is, though I have never had scrapple so I can't speak from experience. Liver mush has salt, pepper, sage, and pork. The scrapple recipes I see online have a few other ingredients.

In Indiana we have the fried pork tenderloin sandwich. Usually you can choose fried or grilled, but in my mind, if it's not breaded and fried, it's not legit. And to really get it right, the tenderloin has to be the size of the plate, placed on a regular sized bun.

1617895635656.png

I typically have mayo and/or mustard, lettuce, onion, and pickles.

Yessiree Bob! That’s what a pork tenderloin sandwich is supposed to be!
“Wings Etc.” does a pretty darned good job on those. And you are right, the pork is the size of a hubcap! I have to skip the fries and have an extra beer!

Hash, either pork or beef, is our local dish. We have a restaurant here who renamed its street address Hash Blvd.

In Indiana we have the fried pork tenderloin sandwich. Usually you can choose fried or grilled, but in my mind, if it's not breaded and fried, it's not legit. And to really get it right, the tenderloin has to be the size of the plate, placed on a regular sized bun.

View attachment 25651

I typically have mayo and/or mustard, lettuce, onion, and pickles.
The pork tenderloin is also very popular in Iowa and central Illinois; US highway 6 seems to be the common link.

I think southeast Indiana is known more for its fried chicken, though.

Back