Your best coleslaw recipe please!

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
I've seen a few recipes from people for homemade coleslaw and I'm looking for a few more to try. The first one I made it was pretty good but once it got in the fridge for about an hour it got all soggy and gross looking. Anyone else have this issue?

Did you see this one that I posted back in 2019?
  • This recipe was first posted on my cooking game back in 2006. Since then, we have made it 14 times. With Father's Day coming up, I thought it would be a good time to share it here with you all.

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
    (serves 12)

1 (16oz) package shredded coleslaw mix
    2 cups seedless RED grapes, halved
    1/2 cup shredded carrot (if not in the coleslaw mix)
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup prepared Dijon-style mustard
    1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
    2 TB white sugar
    2 TB cider vinegar

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, cheese, sugar and vinegar. Add the coleslaw mix, grapes and carrots and stir until evenly coated. Chill until serving.

Source: Allrecipes.com - Sara - CLBB - Pammela

One of the things the wife does is mix the wet ingredients the day before and let the flavor develop. Then day of, mix with the cabbage etc. almost in a batch style. Helps keep things crisp.

One of the things the wife does is mix the wet ingredients the day before and let the flavor develop. Then day of, mix with the cabbage etc. almost in a batch style. Helps keep things crisp.
Bryan - this tip makes sense, also you gotta watch the salt/sodium level in the mix and ratio of dressing to slaw. Salt pulls the water out of the vegetables, so putting in too much salt will make a more watery slaw. I also think the texture of the raw cabbage makes a difference. The course cut seems to maintain a little crunch vs a finer chop.

Exactly. Like a lot of other things the timings mean a lot.
A course cut less soupy type is our preferred.
For the record, for a proper slaw, the Mayo should be Duke’s. 🤣🤣
Kind of sorry. Couldn’t help myself.

• This recipe was first posted on my cooking game back in 2006. Since then, we have made it 14 times. With Father's Day coming up, I thought it would be a good time to share it here with you all.

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
    (serves 12)

1 cup mayonnaise
    2 TB white sugar
    2 TB cider vinegar

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, cheese, sugar and vinegar. Add the coleslaw mix, grapes and carrots and stir until evenly coated. Chill until serving.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe again Joan. By the ingredients, it looks delicious.

I just made this slaw on Saturday. Seth, I don't think it's the one for you since it got soggy fast, but it sure was good.

The recipe caught my eye because it’s supposed to be a clone of “Cattlemen’s Steakhouse famous cole slaw”. I was thinking of our own
Cattlemens here in OKC, but apparently there’s another by the same name - since it’s called Texas Slaw.

I made this about an hour before dinner and it was sweet and creamy as the recipe says but also kind of soggy. I had decided, for future meals, to add the dressing at the last minute and try it in batches. Very happy to hear that Bryan’s wife has already tried that and it works.:)

Joan’s recipe looks very good – I think I’ll try that next. Not sure about the grapes, though – Joan, do you think pineapple could be substituted?

TEXAS SLAW RECIPE

Texas Slaw is based on Cattlemen's Steakhouse cole slaw. The addition of sweet pineapples to this slaw is the secret ingredient. It is sweet and creamy and you are going to love it.

Ingredients
1 bag of coleslaw
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained, reserve 2tb of juice
1/2 cup 2% Milk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
3 tb apple cider vinegar

Instructions
Mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, and milk
In a separate bowl, add the coleslaw and pineapples.
Pout the dressing over the slaw.
Mix everything together. and let sit in the fridge for about an hour.
Serve it up and ENJOY!

I am a big coleslaw fan and every time I do pulled pork I have to make coleslaw. I love a heading spoon of coleslaw on a pulled pork sandwich. I have worked my way through a large number of recipes and have found some to soupy, to salty, same as eating grass . . .

The best recipe I found is the one in the link below. It seems to strike the right balance and my family will all eat it so that is an added bonus.

"Joan’s recipe looks very good – I think I’ll try that next. Not sure about the grapes, though – Joan, do you think pineapple could be substituted?"

Hi Brenda, to be honest, I really don't know, but you can bet the next time we make this recipe, we will be trying it with pineapple. Thanks for the suggestion.:)

And my mother would swear that you make the best cole slaw of all! :giggle:
I was at a really close friends party, we had known each other since junior high. His parents were there too, and I knew them well. His mother had brought a large bowl of coleslaw. I asked her how she was able to make coleslaw that was as good or even better than KFC. She told me whenever they go to a potluck type gathering they stop at KFC and pick up some coleslaw and then transfer it to there own container. :)

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
    (serves 12)

1 cup mayonnaise
    2 TB white sugar
    2 TB cider vinegar

I'm not big on bleu cheese crumbles but I may try this recipe and forgo the crumbles

I just made this slaw on Saturday. Seth, I don't think it's the one for you since it got soggy fast, but it sure was good.

The recipe caught my eye because it’s supposed to be a clone of “Cattlemen’s Steakhouse famous cole slaw”. I was thinking of our own
Cattlemens here in OKC, but apparently there’s another by the same name - since it’s called Texas Slaw.

I made this about an hour before dinner and it was sweet and creamy as the recipe says but also kind of soggy. I had decided, for future meals, to add the dressing at the last minute and try it in batches. Very happy to hear that Bryan’s wife has already tried that and it works.:)

Joan’s recipe looks very good – I think I’ll try that next. Not sure about the grapes, though – Joan, do you think pineapple could be substituted?

TEXAS SLAW RECIPE

Texas Slaw is based on Cattlemen's Steakhouse cole slaw. The addition of sweet pineapples to this slaw is the secret ingredient. It is sweet and creamy and you are going to love it.

Ingredients
1 bag of coleslaw
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained, reserve 2tb of juice
1/2 cup 2% Milk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
3 tb apple cider vinegar

Instructions
Mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, and milk
In a separate bowl, add the coleslaw and pineapples.
Pout the dressing over the slaw.
Mix everything together. and let sit in the fridge for about an hour.
Serve it up and ENJOY!
Oh man I love pineapple! I think it would definitely had an extra element to it for sure

I've seen a few recipes from people for homemade coleslaw and I'm looking for a few more to try. The first one I made it was pretty good but once it got in the fridge for about an hour it got all soggy and gross looking. Anyone else have this issue?
For the soggy/watery issue, try a salt wilt on the vegs.
The first time I read about it was here.

I have several that I use. This one is a little different. Sometimes I double the cayenne.

Ingredients

• 1 (16-ounce) package shredded cole slaw mix
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 green onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 red jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • Several dashes hot sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions

In a large bowl, mix together all the slaw ingredients. Allow to sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. 24 hours is better

Not actually coleslaw, but one of our favorite cold/summer salads....actually gets better if you make it the day before.

Crunchy Broccoli Salad

Ingredients - Crunchy Bits
6 cups finely chopped broccoli florets and stems (about 2 medium broccoli crowns)
½ cup finely diced celery
½ cup finely diced carrot
⅓ cup finely diced red onion
½ cup raisins
⅓ cup dried cranberries
⅓ cup toasted sunflower seed kernels

Optional: Bacon bits/crumbles to taste
Optional: Finely chopped cheddar cheese

Ingredients - Cider Coleslaw Dressing
¾ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Instructions
Combine the ingredients for the dressing and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving, stirring once or twice.

Enjoy! This salad will keep in the refrigerator for at least 3 days.

Not much to it but its been a family classic as long as I have been alive for burgers, hotdogs, and fried bologna sandwiches.

- Shred one head of cabbage using a cheese grater.
- Add Duke's mayo until creamy.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.

Back