Yet another bacon cook

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I see some of you have problems of getting your hands on pork belly. This is just a reminder that you actually can “baconify” almost any piece of meat from a pig.

It is a beautiful day here in Norway. It’s milder than normal, just 3 degrees F, and with some sunshine, which is quite unusual. The sun is up for only a few hours each day, and usually hidden behind clouds. Not so today.

I hope you enjoy the view.

dsc0716za.jpg

This is a deboned pork chop. I have dry brined it, as I usually do for a week, since it’s quite thick, and I have added some herbs and some garlic to the brine.

dsc0715x.jpg

I smoked it for a few hours, then rested outside, and it will rest until tomorrow for slicing. At the moment I am not quite sure if this is hot smoked bacon, or lunchmeat. I will find out tomorrow.

dsc0718c.jpg

Thank you for your time.
Geir Widar

Last edited:
sorry Sir Geir, but i'm lookin' at photo ONE more (longer) than photo 2 or 3

looks like you live in Heaven!

Wow Geir! The scenery stole the show, but that bacon is gorgeous. It sounds similar to what we call Canadian Bacon (which I don't believe is really Canadian), which is cured and smoked loin but is trimmed differently. Here's a shot of some that I just made, and I wonder how it compares to yours.

DSC_1422_zpseb4084d9.jpg

Geir,

The food and the scenery both look outstanding. Thank,you for sharing this. Hopefully, I can make it to Norway some day and take in some of that beauty.

Geir, that view is amazing! I want to move to Norway ;). Can't wait to see the final pics! I just put my first batch of "Canadian" bacon (pork loin) in the fridge to begin curing about an hour ago. We'll see how it turns out. This is my first time curing anything.

Update:

Thank you for all your kind words. I must admit that I am a bit surprised about the comments about the view from my smoking area, but it actually makes me a bit proud. Norway can be so pretty that it almost hurts your eyes, but that is something in common with most parts of the world, I think. I've seen lost of fantastic photos from many of your homes and surroundings, as well.

Won't be showing off my view today, as it is nothing much to boast about. But I have sliced the piece of meat, and after a short test, this is Bacon with a capital B. Too fat to be lunchmeat, but a lot less fat than regular bacon. The smoke- taste is strong, it will be better after a few days when it mellows out a bit. I sliced it, fried a slice to taste and included the close- up you all seem to like. Enough yapping,, moving on to the pictures:

DSC_0725_zps8ff3367d.jpg

DSC_0727_zps31acf2f0.jpg

And fried:

DSC_0723_zps2ca1e0e8.jpg

Geir Widar

Last edited:
I held off on commenting until the finish, and what a finish it is!
Beautiful bacon, beautiful countryside, and beautiful photography!

Happy New Year Geir!

Well we have been talking at work about all the bacon cures on here, but I think this broke the camels back so to speak. I am going to have to try some of that. Geir, send me a few pieces to sample, and a snowball for my freezer, lol.

Great looking photos, but the first and last are awesome

Back