Yay or nay???

So what is your price range? I don't think going by others taste buds is always the best avenue. I'd find people around you that may let you try some bbq from different brands and judge it yourself. Everyone has the best one.

I'm not saying others aren't correct but going through the Yoder issues I also know people did embellish to save face as well. Who want's to admit a expensive mistake some will many more won't. With pellets it's so subjective and everyone is different.

Well said and good points. Just another reason I wish I could have a SmokeFire, even for just a while, so I could do my own comparisons.

It's funny how different people get a different message reading the same words. I think you and Jon are at the same point. You both want a Smokefire. If I'm wrong please correct me. I have owned a Rec Tec, a Camp Chef, and a Smokefire. I won't comment on Yoder and others because I have zero experience with them. I have nothing but good things to say about both Rec Tec and Camp Chef brands. My Camp Chef was a 2013 model and I replaced the controller with the Rec Tec wifi controller. Both have found homes with very happy owners and still going strong. Between those the closest to the Smokefire is the Camp Chef with Slide N Sear and the new WIFI controller. I never used the new controller nor slide N sear but owners say the smoke selection feature works good but with more smoke you get bigger temp fluctuations. Rich can speak to that. The Smokefire is the only pellet grill that I've owned that gives good smoke at 400 degrees without wild temp fluctuations. I removed the finger guard from my Camp Chef and waxed the pellet hopper on both of those grills to avoid flameouts. It's a common pellet grill problem and not confined to the Smokefire. As far as grease fires are concerned you can do a Google search on pellet grill fires and the last Youtube mention I found of a Smokefire was Feb. 2020. I found other brands more recently. There's a guy on Youtube with a lot of followers who blasted the Smokefire after it came out. He's back using one and figured out how to operate it properly. I have never said the Smokefire is perfect but it has capabilities that no other pellet grill at this price point has. For me, it's a grill and a smoker, my only outdoor cooker, and it has completed every cook I've started. I use any brand pellets I choose and I'm not a compulsive cleaner. I am a compulsive learner and have done many tests with my Smokefire to understand it. If you and your sister learn it and show your mom the basics it could work. That said, pellet grills are a different animal and they take learning.

That’s some great straight talk from someone who USES a SmokeFire vs. the wondering of a wannabe like me. Yeah I want one! I am even prepared for it to be temperamental sometimes. While I don’t expect it to last 20 years, if I were to get one and parts start rusting out in less than two years I will admit that I will be annoyed - although now not surprised 😯.

I ordered an EX6, should be here in a few days. I think of all the owners start calling Weber with rust complaints they will extend the warranty on those parts or replace out of warranty . They gave me a brand new cookbox on my S670 2 years out of warranty when I complained that everyone's is rusting and obviously it wasn't manufactured properly. I'm talking a $400 part.
I will use it for 90 days, if I like it, which I'm really hoping I will, I'll keep it. Otherwise back to Weber it will go !!! And it"ll still be warm when the truck comes to get it while I get my last cook on it......

I intended to address the rust issue and then spaced it. I’m not seeing it on my grill after a year of light, and mostly low and slow, use. In several pictures I have studied I think I’m seeing heat stressed metal. I’m waiting to see how Weber responds to the pictures they have received. The heat deflector is made in China. A different alloy is needed. Folks, if my grill lasts 10 years it will outlast me. I keep it because of it’s capability and consistent good cooks not because I’m a fanboy nor fear of admitting a mistake.

As I said I like Recteq. I bought a used RT-300 to find out if pellet grills work for me. My initial experiences included Maverick temps didn’t agree with controller readings, failure to feed pellets mid cook, flameout, explosive reignition, and grease fire. That’s what we read about the Smokefire. Once I learned how to run my Rec Tec it rarely had a problem. Approach the Smokefire with eyes wide open and know it has a learning curve.

Jon, you would have it figured out in no time. You study grills. 100 day trial so you could wring it out and I would really like to read YOUR comparison with the Bull. You have had me in suspense for months.:oops:

We received our SmokeFire on June 25 (I love writing it this way--my perfect bride knows nothing about using these cookers but this makes it sound like she spent money too). If I lost it today I'd buy another one immediately so long as I could afford it.

I can make tremors:
20210718_221321.jpg

I can burn the skin of a wing:
20210705_183036 (1).jpg

Or not burn the skin of wings, all depending on the process:
20210705_182609 (1).jpg

A very interesting element of that wing cook: if a friend made them and said their fuel was charcoal I would never know the truth.

I'm completely pleased thus far!

No offense I could do that on my performer if you want to burn the skin on the wings just throw them on top of the baskets. If thats a pork tenderloin thats no big deal either again this can all be done on a performer do wings and pork tenderlon's all the time. A couple of small hickory chunks for a bit of smoke not alot but my family does not like alot of smoke and chicken does not absorb all that much anyway.

Relax, folks; I myself have over a dozen outdoor cookers. The OP inquired about the SF and I shared my experience. I said nothing to suggest it was superior to nor inferior against other cookers.

@Jason in CA

Not sure where you are with getting a gasser, a smoker or the smokefire, but thought I'd share this genesis that I saw today.

appears to be an E330 similar to mine. looks to be propane and has SS grates and is a "special edition".

my 86 yo Mom cooks on one like this several days a week. Folsom is just east of Sacramento.

1627077588204.png

B its okay just myself think that was a bad example on SmokeFire cooks as a $150 kettle could do that again no offense intended. But it kinda seems like you were toting the SmokeFire as an example of what could be done and as you clarified you were not saying another cooker could not achieve the same results for alot less money by the way. So that is all good to me.

To me this thread started as should I buy a SmokeFire for my mother that is far different then the food will taste great or whatever and I have no idea on how talented his mother is and able to deal with these issues and Jason said he and his sister would be doing the cooking so that is kind of a different deal. Is it really Jason who wants the SmokeFire don't know that my mother is way to old where even a gasser would be a challenge and that is not going to happen either.

IMG_20210725_172942670_HDR.jpg
And even more stuff turned out good. It's almost 11:00 at night as I sit down posting this. It was about 10:30 in the morning when I started the app updates and new grill burn. Around 9 hours of cooking various things at various temperatures and it never missed a beat. I wish I had better pictures but I was kind of busy. If this continues to perform as well as it did today then I am thoroughly impressed. I'll try and write a better review when I have time. However I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't already been said. On that note I don't think anyone's ever took it up and down various temperatures the way I did today. I did the smoke boost at 200, searing at 600, back down to 250 for ribs, back up for other stuff, back down, back up, down, and the bacon was the last thing I did at 600. It never missed a beat. Actually I don't think I'm going to write a more thorough review because today I was just playing with it and testing different things. And that's my review. I played with it and tested lots of things, including the app, and it performed admirably. I hope it continues to do so. I realized that's not very informative so if you have questions I'll try and answer based on my first impression experience.

View attachment 33549
And even more stuff turned out good. It's almost 11:00 at night as I sit down posting this. It was about 10:30 in the morning when I started the app updates and new grill burn. Around 9 hours of cooking various things at various temperatures and it never missed a beat. I wish I had better pictures but I was kind of busy. If this continues to perform as well as it did today then I am thoroughly impressed. I'll try and write a better review when I have time. However I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't already been said. On that note I don't think anyone's ever took it up and down various temperatures the way I did today. I did the smoke boost at 200, searing at 600, back down to 250 for ribs, back up for other stuff, back down, back up, down, and the bacon was the last thing I did at 600. It never missed a beat. Actually I don't think I'm going to write a more thorough review because today I was just playing with it and testing different things. And that's my review. I played with it and tested lots of things, including the app, and it performed admirably. I hope it continues to do so. I realized that's not very informative so if you have questions I'll try and answer based on my first impression experience.
Awesome!

Back