Yard Sale find, didn't need, but couldn't pass up

Rob VA

TVWBB Member
Out hitting some yard sales, and saw this toward the back of driveway.
When I saw it was a Summit, I new it should of been one of the higher end Webers. I was not in the least even thinking about getting another gas grill.
Don't think they cleaned it once since owning. One door was off and some parts thrown inside bottom.
Was able to get it to light once while there, but after that it wouldn't light. Did some soul searching as to whether
I need such a big grill, but, what the heck. Go big or go home, so I haggled a little and told them I would need to go
home and get my truck. When I got back, she had found the owners manual for me.
Once home and going through parts in bottom, found out It was missing the warming shelf that goes to the back and
the rotisserie skewer. Had the motor, but not the skewer, so no big deal. At least that was all that was missing.
The side burner cover is tweaked, so have not tackled trying to straighten it out.
Here is before
hwev0l.jpg

And after, did not do the full blown cleaning like some of you guys do where all is taken apart and polished etc.
Just polished exterior and scraped interior.
ja7z3d.jpg

Quite a few of the burner holes were plugged, so I took a mini screwdriver from a watch repair kit and poked every hole in
burner assembly. That was fun!
Not sure how to get the whitewalls cleaner, but hey.

Looks like you came up with a sweet deal. Can't tell from your photos but there is an extra burner knob which means either it has a rotisserie burner (which would be "da bomb") or a smoker burner. I have the forerunner to this grill and it does perform very well, though not for rotisserie. I tried it but only the ends of your food cook and end up over done. Hopefully you got it at a good price. Size wise it's not as big as you might think being only about 20 or 3 inches wider than a Genesis 3 burner. Anyway.............Enjoy!

Nice find! How much? Please make me jealous. :)

We are sadly such a disposable society. Ive picked up 2 current generation 300 grills (07 and 08) this summer for under $100 each. Cleaned them up, replaced a few rusty parts and sold them to new owners.

It is the smoker burner. Did come with the smoke box, but doubt I'll use since I have a WSM.
I was glad once I put everything together that the skewer and shelf was all that was missing, so not going to sweat those two. Yea, it would be nice to have those, but unless I run across them at a big discount, I am not going to worry.
Picked it up for $40.

For $40 you did good, real good. I've got 9 Weber's and picked 8 of them up at yard or garage sales or Craig's list, one I bought new in 1999. Be careful it can get addicting.

Well really unless it has the rotisserie burner the rod is useless IMO. Like I said I tried using a rotisserie on my Summit did a chicken. Over done on the ends raw in the middle so really you're fine and for $40 you done real good!

It is the smoker burner. Did come with the smoke box, but doubt I'll use since I have a WSM.
I was glad once I put everything together that the skewer and shelf was all that was missing, so not going to sweat those two. Yea, it would be nice to have those, but unless I run across them at a big discount, I am not going to worry.
Picked it up for $40.

GREAT score! I actually used my smoke box a lot on my genesis 1000 and it didn't have a burner, which would have been very helpful. You can put some nice flavor in using that and if you have a dedicated burner you might even get the temps really low on it just using that ox burner. You might use it more than you think.

For $40 you did good, real good. I've got 9 Weber's and picked 8 of them up at yard or garage sales or Craig's list, one I bought new in 1999. Be careful it can get addicting.

You sir ARE an addict! Please seek professional help. :)

Top score with your Summit Platinum C4.
The Platinums are the ones to go for as they have a full SS frame, SS sides and bottom shelf, partial SS covers on the plastic side table, and the SS rod grates.
I would argue that they are much better constructed than the current Summits.
I found the smoker box of little use adding smoke flavor- all the smoke seemed to go straight out the back- so you can get a kit from rcplanebuyer on eBay, remove the box, and insert another flavorizer bar and add an extra couple of inches of grill space.
The smoker burner is still used- a poor man's sear station, or on its own for low heat, or full on with the other outside burners for pizza cooks.
A definate keeper!

The summits are corrosion prone in the steel part of the firebox. I would recommend disassembling and inspecting. My freebie only had a little so used some jasco rust treatment then painted back up.

Pending if it's been registered or not they have a 25 year warranty on the firebox too I believe

The summit platinum! The one with the coveted stainless steel frame.
Remove the grates and flavorizer bars and carefully inspect the inside front panel of the firebox. They tend to rust through there. If I'm not mistaken, LMichaels has stated that Weber no longer offers the firebox for these older Summits. If they do, I would buy one for a nice Platinum like yours. If not, I patched mine with some 304 stainless steel and a pop rivet gun.

Thanks all!
I'll do some closer inspection to be sure no hidden rust. I think it was stored in garage, but not sure.
I've only had a chance to cook on it once, but seemed to not get super hot like I thought it would. I did read on here with folks getting up to 600 degrees within
10min., so I want to just turn on all burners to high, minus smoke burner and see what it does. Maybe I was just not paying close attention. I was thinking about pulling front panel off just to see
what the mainfold area looks like.

Yes it does get VERY hot. My brother has one. But I am not sure that frame is really stainless or even 304SS for that matter. I'm pretty sure they're silver painted steel

Rob, if it's not getting hot enough, put in a new regulator. Over time they get stiff and don't allow for enough pressure.

Back