WSM vs smoking in kettle

For the 15 hour cook, did you light 15lbs of KBB all at once, or did you re-fill the charcoal grate in stages? If the latter, at what intervals?
Look back at the photos I sent you, I used what is ind of a lopsided "sidewinder" minion method set up remember? All the coal goes in small number of lit coals (20) placed in the indentation, I added maybe thirty extra briquettes somewhere about twelve hours in

Thanks. So a 22.5 WSM loses more heat?
I'm not so sure I'd say it loses more it simply has a larger volume of air to maintain.
This is pretty basic information covered in owners manuals in broad strokes. Fine tuning of all the methods is something which comes with practice. Fire control is not always something which can be explained completely accurately, you need to get some practice under your belt.

For the 15 hour cook, did you light 15lbs of KBB all at once, or did you re-fill the charcoal grate in stages? If the latter, at what intervals
I sent complete pictures to you Arun, sidewinder Minion method, 20 lit coals into the depression, added maybe fifty roughly 12 hours in

It's been over 45 years since I studied thermodynamics and it was not my favorite course. Many very complicated formulas to calculate this stuff. Basically the hot charcoal heats the volume but there is constant heat loss from the volume out the top vent and through the metal that encloses the volume. I think heat loss is directly proportional to the outside area at a given outside air temp. More area = more heat loss. Low outside air temp accelerates the loss and that's why some folks in frigid climates put an insulating blanket on their cooker. Without the blanket and 20° F outside maintaining 250° at the grate takes a lot more fuel.

OFF TOPIC

Mehlville High School - 1959
Left town 1960 for the Naval Academy

Bob - let's continue this on just comversation - see you there.

Last edited:

Back