WSM vs. ProQ Excel 20...Questions???

I'll be curious to hear your opinion.

Those little doors on the Excel just bother me. They look too darn small.

Okay my barbeque brothers and sisters...here we go!

With the Illinois BBQ Society's Battle for Bullet Smoker Supremacy (sponsored by The Backyard BBQ Store in Wilmette, Illinois) now in the books, here are the video links for the epic battle...

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8UFWM31M_U&hl=en&fs=1
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/v/NbTN3Cu420A&hl=en&fs=1

Since this battle was conducted in conjunction with a one day cook-off, it was primarily used to monitor temperatures and to (more importantly) check out the Pros & Cons of the Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and the ProQ Excel 20. A longer test for temperature control may be conducted to monitor larger cuts of meat, but with the results turned in from this battle, I would venture to guess the outcome will be the same.

Enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Davis:
All I got to say is NO WAY!!!! Watch it if you dare!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whether a WSM or ProQ fan...interesting results, eh?!? (and disected by a true WSM man too!)
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jason, if you're out there, I love you, man, but you're crazy to put the full water pan into the WSM the way you do. You need to put the empty pan into the middle section, then put the middle section on the charcoal bowl, then pour water into the pan.

You're gonna have a nuclear face peel someday doing it the way you're doing it.

Great job on the videos, guys!

Regards,
Chris

interesting. i think they both have their place in the smoking world. only thing unfortunately was the conversation fading in and out with the background music also drowning out some conversation. also agree with the water. should be added after the units are assembled. ask me, no don't ask on how i know. otherwise great job.

Chris I have never even given it a thought since i have really never used the weber water pan i have been using the brinkmann charcoal pans since i got my WSM, and i always start with the minion method so the coals are not that hot, but after trying to put that Weber pan in I see what you concern it so to all the WSM users don't so what i did...so much for being and WSM expert huh.

that was great. Thanks for all the hard work. i wonder what you thought of the extra space. That would just be "it" for a large cut. I love the hangers also. I don't know what to think now, I wish the wsm had a few of those features myself, but I certainly enjoy my wsm just the way it is. Seems there both great units to me. It won't hurt anything to give Weber a little competition either, maybe we'll see something else of from them in the future. great videos.

What I will say is that I love my WSM but there were a lot of features on the pro-q I liked, the hooks in the lid were great, as for size I honestly didnt see too much of a difference 18.5 of the WSM to 20 of the Pro-Q there was some but not much I do like the stacker options for the Pro-q making it bigger but the Pro-q company are making those for the WSM also, the charcoal bowl is deeper on the WSM because even with the Pro-Q bigger size i still got the same amount of charcoal into both units, I think what we need to do next and I will get with Jim Rhino about this one is to test the Pro-Q for an overnight cook, maybe at the Salem Contest if Jim lets me I will already have my WSM's going all night why not throw a Pork butt on the Pro-Q also, if anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Duhamell:
I think what we need to do next and I will get with Jim Rhino about this one is to test the Pro-Q for an overnight cook, maybe at the Salem Contest if Jim lets me I will already have my WSM's going all night why not throw a Pork butt on the Pro-Q also, if anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds like a great idea! The ProQ will be at the Salem contest.

Since you mentioned the Salem contest, I would like to invite any teams reading this out to cook in the contest...we're limiting the team count to 40 this year (had 50 and a waiting list last year) and there is still room left! Just let me know!!

You really can't compare these until the overnight cook is finished.

I have a vertical smoker and it is great for everything except efficiency.

Efficiency and long term quality are what makes Weber stand above the others.

JMO.

Nice work though, but I want to see the other cook.

BTW- what does it sell for?

Originally posted by craig castille:
.........long term quality are what makes Weber stand above the others.

JMO.
QUOTE]

As has been noted by Chris in another post the stacker is not porcelain coated (I would assume the construction is the same with the Excel). The surface is less durable and more susceptible to wear and tear. I have a nice little scar on my stacker to vouch for this. The paint peeled quite easily.

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It won't hurt anything to give Weber a little competition either, maybe we'll see something else of from them in the future. great videos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's on it's way
wsm_1.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
Nice work though, but I want to see the other cook.

BTW- what does it sell for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, it was fun. The online retailer for ProQ has them for $299.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim 'Rhino' Reincke:
Hmmm...interesting. Where'd you find the picture? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the danish "weberklubben.dk" - a site for scandinavian weber-owners. Word is, that it will be available march 2009..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m westh:

It's on it's way
wsm_1.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new door handle and the in-lid thermometer look like they'd be easy retrofits to the current WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim 'Rhino' Reincke:
Very Interesting! I wonder if it'll just be available in Denmark, or stateside too??? Anyone here have a connection with Weber??
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't help you, sorry )-: My guess is, that they will be available worldwide - Denmark is a small country = rather few customers. It will be available both in 47 cm and 57 cm...

Back