WSM vs. ProQ Excel 20...Questions???

I will be replaceing what I have now for 2 of those when they do come out. Once ya go WSM you wont go to anything elese.

Sure looks like both have their upside
The Pro being bigger would sure be a plus
Weber does great work in the quality dept
You cant go wrong if this is the type of smoker you are looking at buying

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just out of curiosity, what in the world did you have in the smoker??? Also, what happened to the legs on the ProQ??

Rhino,

This is not my Pro-Q. Please see this cross-post for the explanation.

The owner explained that while checking his pit, he heard sizzling. He placed his hand on the top handle and felt the Pro-Q's legs bend outward from under it. A scary moment for him on his first use of the smoker. The sizzling was from the Pro-Q starting to tip and water flowing out of the water pan into the charcoal.

Jim

I have spoken to this particular customer, it turns out that the legs were assembled slightly wrong, however we have now noticed that there is an issue with the current leg configuration and already have a stronger replacement in production. These will be replaced free of charge to all ProQ Excel 20 users, within the next few weeks.
Below is a picture showing a weight test on the new and old legs.
New leg on the left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/thebbq/Factory-test-2.jpg

as others mentioned you guys are nuts putting a full water pan into a hot smoker!! i use a gallon jug to fill mine from the top.

the thing im wondering is when you are going to test their smoking capability. low and slow. what you did was grilling which any grill can do.

where bullet smokers excel and set themselves apart is smoking really big pieces of meat over a long period of time. i would be interested in how long the burn times are at 225 without having to reload the coals. how long the water lasts. how easy it is to re-fill each water bowl. and how well each maintains their temps through the cook without tending them.

it was a nice video on the differences between the pro q and the wsm on how each does grilling but that isnt what those units primary functions are. my wsm never gets hot enough to make the grates sizzle. i got a kettle for that sort of thing
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
as others mentioned you guys are nuts putting a full water pan into a hot smoker!! i use a gallon jug to fill mine from the top.

the thing im wondering is when you are going to test their smoking capability. low and slow. what you did was grilling which any grill can do.

where bullet smokers excel and set themselves apart is smoking really big pieces of meat over a long period of time. i would be interested in how long the burn times are at 225 without having to reload the coals. how long the water lasts. how easy it is to re-fill each water bowl. and how well each maintains their temps through the cook without tending them.

it was a nice video on the differences between the pro q and the wsm on how each does grilling but that isnt what those units primary functions are. my wsm never gets hot enough to make the grates sizzle. i got a kettle for that sort of thing
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jon,

That was only the first round of testing...meant to dissect both cookers for comparison and do light cooking. The next round of testing is scheduled for September 12th & 13th at The BBQ Throwdown & Jam in Salem, Illinois.

This round of testing will be performed by Jason Duhamell (Smokey J's BBQ) and will include an all night pork butt cook.

I'd like to invite you, and any other teams, to join us for the next round of testing...while you're there, we sure would like to have you competing too!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your input.

Speaking for myself, this leg problem, along with the non-porcelain paint has put enough question in my mind, that I am cautious about the ProQ.

Weber has earned their spot in my heart with quality products, and not to say that ProQ is not a quality product, just that until they work out the kinks I think I'll sit on the sideline with my Weber products.

Seems that Fred might have changed the video to remove a piece showing the top. His video gave a huge endorsement of the ProQ product, but in hindsight it would seem fitting for someone with a vested interest in the product. That is one thing so nice about TVWBB, there is no vested interested for the most part. Just good, honest, free exchange of information.

I'll just watch from the sidelines as I learn how to use my WSM.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ian Mack:
I have spoken to this particular customer, it turns out that the legs were assembled slightly wrong, however we have now noticed that there is an issue with the current leg configuration and already have a stronger replacement in production. These will be replaced free of charge to all ProQ Excel 20 users, within the next few weeks.
Below is a picture showing a weight test on the new and old legs.
New leg on the left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/thebbq/Factory-test-2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ian,

Good response and great customer service on this issue. Your customers will end up with an improved product.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Ian,

Good response and great customer service on this issue. Your customers will end up with an improved product.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kudos to Ian!

I've had communication with Ian for over a year now...he is one of the best at keeping in touch with his customers and taking care of their needs.

Great response Ian!

I purchased the 20" Excel and have done 3 cooks so far.

First cook. 2 racks of ribs and 5 LBS of Split Chicken Breasts. Ribs in the 3-2-1 method and the Chicken Breasts in the Jumpin' Jim method. Just a quick afternoon cook to get a feel for the cooker. Used an 18" clay saucer/waterless approash, about 9 LBS briquets Minion approach. Had a hard time keeping the temperatures up over 210 with all bottom vents opened but fuel lasted all 6 hours without refill. Lots of heat radiating out the bottom of the cooker. The water pan is huge and with the clay saucer I think it chocked off too much of the airflow/heat coming up from the coals. Food turned out only OK but to be expected getting used the cooker.

2nd cook. Just a quick 1 hour ABT smoke using 1 chimney of Lump and foiled pan only. Temperature control much better stuck around the 275 range for about 3 hours even though peppers on only 1 hour.

3rd cook. 1 - 8Lb bone in Pork Butt, 5 LBS of Chicken thighs and 3 racks of ribs (Ribs and Chicken cooked at different times). Charcoal ring only holds about 10 or so pounds of briquets without stacking over the edge. Minion start with 20 coals on top of raw stack and foiled only pan. Temps stabilized at 275 for 3 hours with all bottom vents closed (haven't found leak) then stabilized at 240. At the 8 hour mark I added 1 chimney of raw coals on top of the burning coals and added the ribs. The added coals were about 3 LBS. The fire burned strong for another 5 hours afterwards varing between 230-250 and dropping off quickly at 13.5 total hours.

Pork which was on for 13 of the hours and 193-197 temp on 6 measures was ready to "self pull" taking off grill. Let sit in wrap and cooler for 2 hours and was great! Chicken was great as well and just as tender as the Pork. BB ribs were good (I've had better results) but the issues were not cooker related.

Bottom line I'm satisfied with the cooker but have some minor gripes given the installation instructions, slight out of round situation (and the associated air leak?). Still working on fuel consumption but 1 LB per hour for a long cook might not be bad for a cooker of this size. Am thinking of an expanded metal ring to increase the height of the basket by 2-4 inches which will give a tremendous increase in cooking endurance. I've also purchased a stacker for the unit but haven't had all 3 sections going at once yet. Now that's a lot of Q!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ian Mack:
Chris, would it be possible for me to respond to this post? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry about that, I was out of town for a couple of days and didn't have access to the Internet. No problem.

Regards,
Chris

Back