WSM setup for a-maze-n cold smoker

Svein

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
I've been trying to cold smoke in my 18.5 WSM using an 6x6 a-maze-n smokegenerator. I'm not happy with the amount of smoke, and suspect that it might be the damper setup. The smoker was on the charcoal grate, all bottom dampers were open, and lid damper was open or half-closed.

Is there anyone which can advise on my setup?

Svein,

When I cold smoke in my 22 WSM I have to take the charcoal ring out. Allows for better airflow.

Chris

I'd recommend emailing Rhonda at A-Maze-N.
They are very kind and very customer support oriented.
It will be worth the time spent with them.

I thought "cold smoking" meant the heat source is in a separate burn chamber from the meat and the smoke is cooled on the way to it.

IMO, putting the A-Maze-N (heat source) in the smoker with the meat is not my understanding of cold smoking.

Am I missing something? :confused:

I thought "cold smoking" meant the heat source is in a separate burn chamber from the meat and the smoke is cooled on the way to it.

IMO, putting the A-Maze-N (heat source) in the smoker with the meat is not my understanding of cold smoking.

Am I missing something? :confused:

The A-Maze-N maze and tubes are both smoke-only generators (unless something unknown to me has been released). You fill them with pellets, light one/both ends with a torch, blow it out, and it smokes for hours, a lot like those incense sticks/cones.

I'm sure they generate SOME heat, but with the larger "maze" smoker in my 14.5", it still stayed ~15 degrees of external temps the whole time.

"Cold smoking" is relative. The A-Maze-N maze and tubes will smoke at much lower temps than otherwise achievable. I think sub-100 temps are still considered cold smoking. A lot of times you want to smoke in that grey area say around 150 for sausage. I doubt that you didn't have enough air. Maybe you just need more of the pellets lit at a time to generate more smoke?

The tube should be putting out a lot of smoke, damp pellets maybe?

Cold smoking non-meats like cheese, nuts, etc. good.
Cool smoking cured meats, 140° should be okay, but I'd go 150° at least.
Cold or cool smoking raw meats, not good.
Sausages? make sure you know the safe procedure.

Last edited:
The tube should be putting out a lot of smoke, damp pellets maybe?

Cold smoking non-meats like cheese, nuts, etc. good.
Cool smoking cured meats, 140° should be okay, but I'd go 150° at least.
Cold or cool smoking raw meats, not good.
Sausages? make sure you know the safe procedure.
I should have clarified my post in this regard. If I smoke a sausage at 150 it's been cured.

Thanks for all the replies. After my comment I did a bit of research on the item to find out for myself. It's basically something I could use in my grill for a smoke effect.

Back