WSM Prime Rib Roast for Xmas

KToliver

TVWBB Fan
Woke up to 42F and raining here in Scottsdale. Rained something terrible during the night and I’d left the WSM uncovered. Spent some time washing out the pan and the whole thing smelled like a wet ashtray. UGH!

Well….dove in anyway (I’m a “stick to the plan” type of guy). ½ load minion with a chunk of cherry and a chunk of hickory. About 12 coals in the chimney. Water in the pan to keep my temps down. Took almost an hour to get to temp, but I was OK with that since I wanted the interior to dry out before dropping that $100 hunk of meat in there.

Dry brined overnight with SP and crushed garlic, then rubbed with EVOO, fresh rosemary and Montreal seasoning in the morning.
YHaGh1G.jpg

Went low and slow - target 225F; pulled at 125F after about 3 hours on the WSM:
X8KpFoV.jpg

Final product after a short reverse sear in a 550F oven after the rest:
ewwqiwl.jpg

Perfect medium rare and well beyond my expectations!

Merry Christmas!

Looks great KT. How did the rub you applied taste? It really looks like you knocked it out of the park!
Tim

Very nice cook, roast looks awesome. I'll trade your 42 and raining for our 28 and snowing. Going to have 4or5 days of night temps in the teens and 1or2 in the single digits coming up.
The dogs love it, me not so much:p

Nice looking prime rib! I have a small one that's going on the 14.5" WSM Friday, can't wait!

Looks great KT. How did the rub you applied taste? It really looks like you knocked it out of the park!
Tim

The rub was excellent. I questioned the value of the overnight dry brine, but that thing smelled like heaven when I brought it in to do the rub!

I didn't want to just throw on some Holy Cow, or something like that. This was really good...but it's hard to beat Montreal Steak on heavy beef.

Back