WSM Minimal Smoke Ring Theory

I get a significant smoke ring on my briskets and ribs all the time using either the WSM or my bubba kegs. I think the key is to season them overnight or 6-8hours in advance. It's the salt providing that curing/smoke ring effect. I've used water/no water and go with the top vent wide open all the time. I've even used a light coat of olive oil on briskets and ribs.. no issues getting a smoke ring.

As moisture contributes to smoke ring, I am going to guess you live in city with low humidity.

The guy that has no problem getting a smoke ring lives in Texas, high humidity.

Just a guess.

if your finished product tastes well enough to your liking, who really cares about a smoke ring...?

too much is spent trying to make food look "pretty".

for pete's sake, it's only food. if you don't like the looks of it, donate to the HUNGRY!

That seems a little harsh Jim. Obviously the OP cares about a smoke -ring.

Tim

Very nice, are you using your 22, 18 or both. Can you discuss your cooking setup, temp, exhaust, etc

I use both all the time. I cook at 270, minion method for lighting. I use my guru on long haul meats like brisket, foil when bark is set, pull when probe tender in the flat, temp tends to be 205-210. I do not use water, KBB charcoal, hickory and a fruit wood, apple, cherry, peach, depending on what I am in the mood for.

The more I think about, the more I think perhaps I am simply not putting enough wood in my pit to create the smoke ring. I am guessing that a simple pit filled with of Kingsford will not create a smoke ring on its own even during a 12 hour cook.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jim Lampe
if your finished product tastes well enough to your liking, who really cares about a smoke ring...?
too much is spent trying to make food look "pretty".
for pete's sake, it's only food. if you don't like the looks of it, donate to the HUNGRY!

That seems a little harsh Jim. Obviously the OP cares about a smoke -ring.
Tim
harsh?? well, if the entire cook (in my opinion) is to produce a smoke ring, I guess my first response IS harsh.
I smoke meat and other foods to add flavour.
If your meat has a smoke ring and tastes great, EXCELLENT!
If your meat has a smoke ring but is mediocre in taste, are you proud of the smoke ring and brush off the taste?

I get the idea of wanting great flavor and a nice looking smoke ring. We eat with all of our senses...a beautiful smoke ring contributes to that, I think. Just not in KCBS judging. :)

Harry Soo is big on spritzing with water after crust has set on brisket to get a good smoke ring.

Andre A, this post tells how much smoke wood Harry uses in the 18.5 WSM:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?550-Comp-Smoke-Flavor

harsh?? well, if the entire cook (in my opinion) is to produce a smoke ring, I guess my first response IS harsh.
If your meat has a smoke ring but is mediocre in taste, are you proud of the smoke ring and brush off the taste?

Make no mistake about this. Unless you are their to smell the food cooking, you eat with your eyes first. You never heard "The food tastes so good" followed by "The food looks so good". It is always the other way around.

Harry Soo is big on spritzing with water after crust has set on brisket to get a good smoke ring.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! Chris I am a Harry Soon alumni also, the secret H2O works every time, it's all about chemistry. I tell my buddies it a secret marinade, lol!

Make no mistake about this. Unless you are their to smell the food cooking, you eat with your eyes first. You never heard "The food tastes so good" followed by "The food looks so good". It is always the other way around.

So true. I can't count how many times I've drooled over pictures of food in cook books and on the internet. If you were handed two plates of food, one looked like pale white slop and the other a perfectly cooked bacon wrapped filet mignon with a nice crust and pink middle with all the fixin's, which would you pick?

That said, quite a few times I've been disappointed with my meat not having a nice smoke ring. But when I bite into it, it's extremely delicious and nice smokey smell and flavor.

From what I have read, the formation of the smoke ring stops when the surface temp of the meat reaches 140° or so. Wouldn't the temp of Soo's brisket be at least 140° if the bark has set? What does spritzing with water do to help form the smoke ring in that situation?

From what I have read, the formation of the smoke ring stops when the surface temp of the meat reaches 140° or so. Wouldn't the temp of Soo's brisket be at least 140° if the bark has set? What does spritzing with water do to help form the smoke ring in that situation?

Al, while there's certainly something to the smoke ring development under 140*, it's not quite as simple as that. Here's an interesting read on the subject: http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/smokeRingMoist.html

Jim, if I recall you do have CI grates for your kettles because you do like great grill marks.
Same thing with the OP, he wants a great smoke-ring and he has a theory on doing it.
I am following his progress with interest:wsm:

Tim

Back