WSM Gasket Sticking Issue

JBooker

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anybody have any tips on how to make the peel and stick gaskets stick better? The wide ones for my door are fine. The one between the lid and mid section sticks better to the lid and pulls up. I ended up removing it cause I was in the middle off a cook and didn't have time to play with it.

I installed the gaskets when the WSM was brand new. I wiped the surface down several times with acetone to make sure no oils were present. I installed the gasket on the horizontal flat area making sure not to stretch it.

It seems like the smoke / tar runs down the lid and glues it to the nomex seal. Then when you remove the lid it pulls it up. I am not sure if the problem with the bond between the adhesive and the wsm or between the adhesive and the nomex.

I though about using some sand paper / dermal to roughen up the surface on the mid section to help it bond stronger.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Instead of a foam (or whatever its made of) gasket, try heat resistant sealant. Lay a nice bead down on the bottom surface. It's supposed to be good to 600o. I don't have a leakage issue so cannot attest to the suitability of this method.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009EC5CR6/tvwb-20

21U8wMvre1L.jpg

PLUS the red colour will complement the black of the WSM quite nicely :)

edit--if you read the amazon comments, two guys used it on their smokers and it worked great.

Last edited:
Well I am going to give the BBQ Gaskets another try since I still have some material left. If this doesn't work then I am going to try the RTV and fiberglass rope.

I took the WSM apart and cleaned it all up. Used my dermal with a grinding stone to roughen up the lip that they stick to. I didn't really remove the finish, just roughenend it up so it textured like sand paper. It should hopefully give the gasket adhesive more bite.

Here is what it looks like. Turned from a shiny black to a matte color.

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

Last edited:
Mine hit near the 6:00 O'clock position last week on the dome thermometer with the door inverted and cracked open a bit.

Back