WSM bowl for grilling

Jeff Beitinger

TVWBB Fan
For those whose WSM pulls double duty and also use it for grilling (ie the "little black egg"), are the side vents actually sufficient enough to really get up to grilling temp?
For some reason my mind keeps going back to the side vents on the Smokey Joe Premium and how hard it is sometimes to really get the temps high enough.

Good point and I have both. They both do alright on grilling. The WSM has the three vents spaced equally so I think you get better air flow.
Edit to clarify: I wouldnt trade my Kettles but the WSM does the job when your reverse searing something like a beef or pork roast that you did L&S and just want to put a crust on.
SJP is great for tailgating, sausage, burgers etc.

Last edited:
I have used little black egg mode several times. It works pretty much like a kettle in this mode from my experience. No issues with air flow, just gotta be careful because the lid doesn't nest on the base the same way a kettle lid does, and the two zone/direct indirect could be really hot if you use too many coals.

Move the charcoal ring & charcoal grate up on to the lower cooking grate. Remove waterpan/diffuser. Cook on the top grate.
Air vents wide open, it will get plenty hot. I've done this a few times with grate results.
Edit: Remove the door for added turbo-charge!

Move the charcoal ring & charcoal grate up on to the lower cooking grate. Remove waterpan/diffuser. Cook on the top grate.
Air vents wide open, it will get plenty hot. I've done this a few times with grate results.
Edit: Remove the door for added turbo-charge!
Never tried this but sounds good. You put the charcoal grate on top of the lower cooking grate OR does the charcoal grate fit fine on the tabs?

I use my 18WSM for the occasional grilling and simply put the grate on top of the charcoal ring and go rfh (really f*#&$ hot).

The side vents play little to no effect because the grilling takes 8-10 minutes max after the coals are poured. The vents and the lid can be used to smother a flare up, but if you two zone the grate area you also have a 'safe zone' for that.

I get really good sears for burgers and steaks.
5-8-16-NY-steaks-after.jpg

I use my 14.5 for grilling all the time.
No issues. Just all vents fully open, that's all.
I need to add that I do not always use the cover. Just for chicken when I think it goes to fast. Other than that I use the WSM as an open grill

Back