WSM and Water in the Pan

KenB

TVWBB Fan
In the two books I have read that are geared toward the WSM(Low and Slow and The new book by Bill Gillespie), both pit masters use water in their pans. It got me to thinking, when using water in the pan the bottom vents must be left open more to maintain temps. By opening the vents more, more oxygen is let in and you have a cleaning burning fire with less smoke. Does this make sense? I'm wondering if only cracking the vents is a reason( in my opinion) that my meats are coming out a bit to smokey.

That makes sense to me about the vents. But also the amount of wood is probably causing the over smoke taste would be my guess. Because so little would is needed most of the time to get a good smoke flavor.

Ken, I use water in my pan, but I find that I often have to have only one vent open, sometimes as little as a quarter to maintain 225 on my WSM. I'm with Dale, try scaling back on the amount of wood used, or if you're using something like mesquite try using a milder tasting wood.

I usually use water in the pan, but I went with a dry pan on some ribs yesterday. Had to keep the bottom vents almost or fully closed to keep the temp down in the 225 to 250 area.

I did not notice the ribs were any more or less smoky than usual. If anything, they were on the less smoky side. I used six small pieces of hickory, cherry, and peach, which is my usual amount of wood.

I don't use water but also cook at higher temps. 275-300*F for ribs. I don't use a lot of wood - just a chunk or two to avoid the ashtray effect. I also don't put food or wood on until I have a clean burning fire. That's usually an hour from chimney start, dumping lit on unlit, and putting food on the cooker.

I cook ribs and pork butts at 275 degrees +or-, without water, and generally use 4 or 5 pieces of Apple or Pecan. I have NO oversmoked problems. I use the tin can minion method (and generally only open one bottom vent to control temps after the start up) and leave my top vent open.

Each of us differs in our personal taste. If you are tasting too much smoke, then I would DEFINITELY cut down on the number of wood chunks and use milder woods. Let your OWN "taster" be the final guide.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I always use water in my pan because it helps to keep my temp down. I have been experimenting with my vents without using water but still have an easier time when I use water. I agree with Robert McGee when it comes to taste, let YOUR taste decide. I personally like to use 4 or 5 large chunks of pecan because it is a mild smoke.

Hope this helps.

Water in the pan provides a couple of things that aid in keeping the temperature down. First, it provides a thermal mass to keep heat in the smoker. Having more mass in the smoker will require more energy to change the overall temperature in the smoker (more forgiving to air upsets). Second, if the temperature starts to get warmer, the water will absorb the energy by changing phase from water to vapor. Changing phase requires energy, but is done at the same temperature. So if too much energy is added water will absorb some of this and by boiling @ 212F.

Energy loss in the smoker will be the same whether or not you have water in the pan. Energy loss is more a function of ambient conditions (wind, temp, rain, etc.) Your smoker has to be able to makes up this energy loss by burning charcoal/wood to maintain temp. Letting more air in just leads to more combustion. I wouldn't say it leads to cleaner burning as the fuel isn't a gas.

Another question, I have the newer WSM with the larger water pan. Should I fill it up to within an inch of the top? This thing holds a lot of water and if full will probably use a lot of fuel heating the water up. I also bought a smaller brinkman pan that I may try next week. Although it's a pain to use, I think my ribs come out better and less dry with water in the pan unless I wrap in foil.

Ken, when I do long smokes I will fill the pan most of the way. If you're worried about the amount of fuel it'll take to initially heat it up, fill it with warm water. As long as you're diligent while bringing your smoker up to temp you shouldn't have much of an issue using warm water in the pan.

Back