WSM 22 or Kamado E6

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I gave a WSM 18 to my Son and still have a WSM 18. I’m looking for a larger smoker to cook 3 to 4 butts or 5 racks of ribs without any hassles.
Would I do best with a WSM 22 or a Kamado E6?
Thanks.
Jeff

Go with the 22 wsm and pimp it out as far as you like or as little as you like. If it's going to be used strictly or mostly as a smoker wsm all the way.

Last edited:
Man, Jeff, that is a seriously tough question but I totally agree with Chad. If you were in a colder climate the answer may be different.

I would at least give the Kamafo a hard look, although the price is too high. It is like the Big Green Egg but much larger than my “large” BGE. I think it could handle what you need with great temperature control and more versatility.

I would at least give the Kamafo a hard look, although the price is too high. It is like the Big Green Egg but much larger than my “large” BGE. I think it could handle what you need with great temperature control and more versatility.
I don't know about more versatility maybe as a grill slash smoker. As a smoker I see the wsm with tons of versatility depending on what you want it to be. Also half the price you can get a lot of mods before you hit the e6 price range. Have no idea how much you can do for the e6 but it will no doubt be more expensive. Also depends on how you're set up for bbq. Also the wsm with both levels is much bigger. I've found people have no trouble spending other people's money.😀

Check out Mark's recent post, he got the E6 and away goes his WSM 22 and his performer. I don't have either, but this post as Eric stated shows the quality of the E6.

3 to 4 butts or 5 racks of ribs without any hassles, 22" WSM vs Kamdo E6..... Looks like 3 racks of ribs is about right on the E6 without a rack to stand them up on their sides. Looks like 3 or 4 butts would be easy. On the 22 WSM, the cooking capacity would be about the same, however you could get a Hunsaker or Gate way hanging system for smoking ribs do 6 to 8 racks (flavor is s little different when hanging).

Biggest difference is the E6 would be easier to do two zone cooking on. This can be done on the WSM, it's just not "natural"

WSM is probably more portable so if you ever want to take it on a competition or just to a friends house, it's easy to do in a pick up truck.

I'm sure you know this but the WSM comes at a much lower price point....

Both cookers kick *ss. You can't go wrong.

1627008683160.png

I think you’ll be fine with what ever you choose. I have the 18.5 and the E6, so I think I’m set either way. E6 is easier to clean, and if you want more grill space, you can buy a rack expander from Weber or mostly any other company that makes steel bbq products. Price wise, the WSM will allow you to save a few pennies, even if you decide to mod it. Good luck sir!

I did the Cajun Bandit door and expanded charcoal ring and Killa Grilla cooking grate for one of my 18s. The charcoal ring and grate were an improvement but the OEM door was a waste of money.
So, I’ll probably start with a heavier cooking grate.
Try the Hunsaker grate. $59.00 shipped. 304 ss. Just make sure you order the kettle version. I've got the unknown hinge and hanger for the guru the cylinder lock kit and door from cajun bandit and island outdoor gasket for the door also did the charcoal grate mod. Cross hatched and attached to the charcoal ring with ss zip ties and cut the notch for probs. I also just upgraded all the screws with flanged button head screws much better then the oem slotted.

Last edited:
Oh it’s finally back in stock! Hopefully local dealer will finally get one in stock, it’s been over a year since they sold their 22”. I went in to buy it after waiting a couple months and it was gone, almost cried. But I’ve gotten the Summit charcoal and been happy happy

sold my WSM 18" and bought a E6. best charcoal grill i've ever owned and that's going back to 1991 with a Weber Smokey Joe Tuck N Carry (college grill for burgers, dogs and wings).

I couldn’t imagine parting with my 18.5, and I’ve only had it several months. I find The E6 and WSM pair very well together. I usually end up grilling and smoking something to accompany whatever I’m grilling.

Try the Hunsaker grate. $59.00 shipped. 304 ss. Just make sure you order the kettle version. I've got the unknown hinge and hanger for the guru the cylinder lock kit and door from cajun bandit and island outdoor gasket for the door also did the charcoal grate mod. Cross hatched and attached to the charcoal ring with ss zip ties and cut the notch for probs. I also just upgraded all the screws with flanged button head screws much better then the oem slotted.
What about wheels, Tel Tru Thermometer, Canjun Bandit folding table, wood handles etc.

What about wheels, Tel Tru Thermometer, Canjun Bandit folding table, wood handles etc.
Don't like casters they loosen and put stress on the legs and smoker. Will be making a cart soon.

I use a guru so lid temps aren't important to me but I might replace the oem just to have in case.

I have 2 - 30"x48" 304ss tables so the folding table isn't needed. Wood handles never even thought about them. If others like any of what you mentioned go for it.

Back