WSM 22.5 observation

John B

TVWBB Pro
So I am posting in the new wsm owner thread, even though I owned my first wsm five years ago. I loved it, but got carried away in a bge sickness, and let my friend have my 18.5 wsm after I got my second bge. I have, and still do enjoy using my eggs, but I found a 22.5 wsm for sale last week for $175 and couldn't pass it up.

My first cook on it was Thursday night from 9PM (that's when I lit the cooker, meat went on at 11PM) until 3PM on Friday. Probably in what was a crazy move looking back, this was for my brothers wedding Friday at 6PM. It was 6 shoulders running with a pizza stone in the dry pan, and using my iq 110 for the temp controller. I learned (or relearned because it has been years since piloting a wsm) that the lower rack runs cooler than the upper rack. I had 3 on each rack, and when I deemed the top 3 to be done at 3PM the next day, I found out the lower 3 needed an oven finish because I was at 185, and I was out of fuel. I did however get 18 hours on a full bag of kingsford comp , which is more than enough time for me. The most important lesson that I learned is that I love this cooker. The pork was fantastic and the compliments were non stop at the wedding. Another aspect was how well the iq110 handled the temp. I monitored it on my et-73 and the wsm never moved from 240-250. It was rock steady.

Sorry I didn't take any pics of the cook, but we did about 110 chicken kabobs on the ranch at the wedding, and I did take a pic of one of the batches.

ranch_zps2d642d35.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dwain. I still am fanatical about my webers, and I am very excited the wsm is back in the herd. This thing is awesome!

Welcome back John! I was frequenting the BGE forum (still do every now and then) and was going to get a XL BGE. I'm coming from a Chargriller/side smoker box. I ended up purchasing a Weber Performer and a WSM 22.5" all within the last mos. or so. I am very pleased I purchased the WSM. Very ez smoker to tend to. I may eventually purchase a XL BGE but that will be yrs. down the road.

Back