WSM 18.5 Temperature Control.

Antonio Silva

Presently I have a Maverick remote temp (single) coming in the mail.
I've read that the temperature dial on most smokers are not very accurate.
The one one my Genesis grill, I've always used as a simple guide.
Now I need to be more mindful of the temps in my smoker.
Can I trust the gauge at the top of the dome as being accurate?
Or, do I need another means of determining temps beside the one that I purchased for the meat?
Gee, this smoking thing is getting to be kind of expensive.:cry:
Thank you for any input.
Tony...

Hey Tony, the dome thermometer can be used, and you can find other ways to monitor and control temperature. Check out this link/guide by Chris (AKA our Fearless Leader). There are plenty of inexpensive ways to run your WSM and make great BBQ.

Here is the section of the article you may find most helpful - basically Chris found that the dome thermometers run 12 to 15 F higher than the grate. So if you want to run 225F for cook temp, try to target around 240F.

Temperature Differential Between Lid And Grate​

When measuring temperature through the lid, you must account for the fact that the reading will be higher than the temperature occurring at each cooking grate.

I’ve done some experiments on my Weber Bullet using my Trend thermometer through the lid and a Fluke Model 52 electronic thermometer with two k-type bead probes measuring temperature 1-3/4″ above each cooking grate. My tests showed that when the Weber Bullet reaches a stable temperature of 225-250°F measured through the lid, the lid temperature averages 12-15°F higher than the top grate temperature and the top grate averages 4-10°F higher than the bottom grate. These numbers assume the water pan is replenished every 90-120 minutes. So, if I’m targeting 225°F on the top grate, I’m looking for about 237-240°F on my thermometer through the lid.

When the cooker experiences a sudden temperature change (for example, when a build-up of ashes fall away from burning coals), the temperature differential between the lid and grates may fluctuate quickly and dramatically. In fact, just to confuse matters, I’ve documented cases where as the meat cooks the temperatures flip-flop—the top grate temperature exceeds the lid temperature! But as a general rule, the lid temp is usually higher than the top grate temperature.

It should be noted that the averages described above do not hold when the cooker is running at a higher temperature, say above 280° measured through the lid, or as the cooker temperature begins to taper off as the fuel supply is exhausted.

Build a test burn and put your Maverick on the top rack and watch how the lid tracks with the Maverick

The top thermometer will most likely respond some or much slower than the Maverick which is another data point

Some things to remember:

1 - Smoking/BBQ isn't an exact science. Some people try to get +/- 1F degrees accuracy on their chamber temp (nothing wrong with that, everyone's hobby manifests itself differently) but I've found that if you're +/- 5F you'll be fine, and sometimes 10F might be the best you can do if you're fighting wind and/or cold weather

2 - All chunks of meat are different, some are easy, they do everything except light the fire and jump on the grill, other chunks will fight you, particularly bigger chunks....I've had 25 pound chuck rolls that the meat temp plateaus 20F below your target temp and stay there for hours, just be patient, keep you temps up and it should start climbing eventually

3 - You will ruin meat, whether human error of a mean piece of meat.....for example I turned a smoker full of wild salmon into salmon charcoal because I got distracted....on the other hand I remember doing 2 smaller briskets for a party, they plateaued and refused to start climbing....after the party was done and everyone had gone home I checked the briskets again, still stuck so I closed the vents went to bed and threw them out in the morning

Just have fun with it :)

Presently I have a Maverick remote temp (single) coming in the mail.
I've read that the temperature dial on most smokers are not very accurate.
The one one my Genesis grill, I've always used as a simple guide.
Now I need to be more mindful of the temps in my smoker.
Can I trust the gauge at the top of the dome as being accurate?
Or, do I need another means of determining temps beside the one that I purchased for the meat?
Gee, this smoking thing is getting to be kind of expensive.:cry:
Thank you for any input.
Tony...
Tony,
I replaced my Weber/WSM lid thermometer on my 18'5" with a Tel Tru version that fits nicely over the bezel, for $32.00/Amazon with a longer stem, (mine was 2.5") and I found that grate temps and lid temps were much more in line/accurate. I totally agree with Brett that you just have to be patient. Each cut of meat, size are going to be different. I spent money on upgrades and mods, as I like to try new things, gadgets, to heighten the experience and quality of the finished product, bottom line, practice and personal taste wins out every time. I have had my 18.5" for 4yrs now and the more you use it, the more comfortable you'll get. My fist 2 cooks, were Boston Butt and a 12lb. brisket, and they turned out AMAZING. I had no changes or mods on those cooks, stock lid thermometer, and went by instinct and the knowledge I gained by watching guys like Harry Soo, T-Roy, Baby Back maniac, having Franklin's Meat Manifesto, and joining this site. Chris and TVWBB have been invaluable for gaining knowledge and wisdom in BBQ. Trust me when I tell you, the WSM 18.5" all by itself, is hands down one of the best smokers for the money, on it's own, with no mods or gadgets. SMOKE, FIRE, TIME, MEAT! It's all that really matters. Enjoy the ride. My motto is, "I'll grill for anybody. But, I only BBQ for those I love and care for." Because, it takes time, and dedication to producing the best food you can make. Enjoy the ride!

Antonio,
The lid thermometer on a WSM is not accurate, but close enough to work. John, Brett and D Dix give really good advice above.
When I first got my 18 WSM, I bought a single probe Maverick thermometer and used it for meat temp and went by the lid thermometer for the pit temp. It produce a lot of really good Q and yours will too.
Here is a tip from Harry Soo, use an instant read thermometer inserted through the silicone grommet on the side to read the temp closer to the grate. Hope this is a little bit helpful.

Last edited:
Here is a tip from Harry Soo, use an instant read thermometer inserted through the silicone grommet on the side to read the temp closer to the grate.

This is a good, quick and easy tip (with one qualifier). Good way to get a rough sense of what the grate temp is as compared to what the lid thermometer says. Which makes the lid thermometer (although a bit imprecise) much more practically useful.

The qualifier is make sure the grommet thermometer is placed far enough into the interior of the cooker. When using the water pan (even without water) there's a couple inch hotter zone at the edge of the cooker. Since the water pan is a bit smaller than the barrel.

WSM 18.5" all by itself, is hands down one of the best smokers for the money, on it's own, with no mods or gadgets

I totally agree.....I did numerous house parties, several company parties and a wedding with my WSMs and the only 'accessories' I used was a Weber charcoal chimney and a single probe thermometer for the meat....mods and accessories are fun and addicting but you can make AWESOME BBQ without them....do it the hard way to learn then start adding the fun fiddly bits :)

The dome thermometer is always slower to respond than digital, so it's like guessing. You can learn to use it as a backup after using a grate level remote thermometer. Watching a digital can get stressful if you try to keep too narrow of temp control, just a friendly warning. Learning to control the temp is a process of experimenting with your smoker. Be patient and have fun playing with the toys. ;)

Thanks very much for all the help.
I'll have to refer to this thread before I do my first smoke.
I have a small butt waiting in the freezer for the opportunity.
I do plan to use the water bowl and will probably wrap it with foil. (ever the neatnick) :D

Thanks very much for all the help.
I'll have to refer to this thread before I do my first smoke.
I have a small butt waiting in the freezer for the opportunity.
I do plan to use the water bowl and will probably wrap it with foil. (ever the neatnick) :D
Don’t sweat the small stuff, and most of it is small.
The WSM is pretty simple really, light fire, add meat, close, have a cocktail or go to bed.
I know that sounds pretty flippant but, when it comes down to it, that’s really is all there is to do. The patience is where the art comes in. A butt is pretty forgiving, as long as you don’t get too hot, it will always turn out well.
I use a sidewinder minion start using Harry Soo’s method of smoke wood on the bottom with a couple interspersed in the charcoal. I Lay the ring as full as possible, use a torch to light one spot right inside the door (maybe 2-3minutes), put the butt (or what have you) on, close it all up, watch any thermometer until it’s within 25 degrees of target temp then start to throttle down the back(opposite the door) vents first, adjust the front (below the door) last. Then, when it’s close enough, I simply go to bed. I do not subscribe to the chase the ten degree window, nonsense! Adjustments at 25-30 are really close enough unless it drops through the floor and you have to go basically crazy getting things back. It’s much more about waiting that ANYTHING ELSE. Good barbecue will be done when it is finished and really can’t be rushed.
Always start three hours earlier than you expect, the long rest after the smoke will render the best results! I’ve gone to trying to have at least two hours resting in a cooler (foiled and toweled) with everything like butts or brisket. It saves serving headaches, you have the goods off and simply relaxing until your guests arrive.
I hope I have not been too “windy” but, as long as your smoker is not in a wind or rainstorm, it will be just fine.
After you've don’t the first one, you will see just how wisely designed the unit is.
Take your time, gather appropriate beverages, good guests and you will have a wonderful time!

Thanks very much gentlemen.
Just got back from Lowes and Advance Auto.
Turned in the water heater pan and picked up two oil drip pans.
The Maverick remote thermometer showed up today, so I'm almost ready to go. o_O
Timothy, your instructions will be saved for my second smoke.
An overnight smoke should have the smoker placed at ground level.
Very detailed. Thank you.
The first one I'll probably be checking it every five minutes.
Perhaps I should save the butt for the second smoke and go for chicken ?
I've always wanted to do a beer can chicken. :LOL:

Thanks very much gentlemen.
Just got back from Lowes and Advance Auto.
Turned in the water heater pan and picked up two oil drip pans.
The Maverick remote thermometer showed up today, so I'm almost ready to go. o_O
Timothy, your instructions will be saved for my second smoke.
An overnight smoke should have the smoker placed at ground level.
Very detailed. Thank you.
The first one I'll probably be checking it every five minutes.
Perhaps I should save the butt for the second smoke and go for chicken ?
I've always wanted to do a beer can chicken. :LOL:
Beer can chicken is not for the WSM, you need higher heat for edible skin. Personally, I find it a snare and delusion, it’s OK but, Meh. A friend just raved and raved about it, nothing special in my opinion. I’d rather rotisserie one.
Go ahead with a butt, you won’t regret it. I completely understand the “check it every five minutes” quandary. Once you’ve done one or two, you will get brave. And you will not fret over it as much.
As a guy who has become a pretty good friend told me on my second butt, “Now,put your big boy pants on and get to it!”
He walked me through my first butt all bloody day!
It will be fine.

I find it a snare and delusion
Thanks, I needed that.
That butt will meet its end. But, not this weekend.
Its been raining, and rain is forecast for this weekend. :cry:
We'll experiment with fowl sometime after the butt.
Cheers! (y)

Chicken is fine on the WSM. You just have to cook it hot and fast. See instructions below.

If you want to use a vertical roaster, it fits nicely on the lower WSM grate.

Thanks, I needed that.
That butt will meet its end. But, not this weekend.
Its been raining, and rain is forecast for this weekend. :cry:
We'll experiment with fowl sometime after the butt.
Cheers! (y)
You bet! I know the feeling about rain, the last big party I did was in massive rain and wind! If you get set up for it, it’s really not too hard. A little challenging but, it can be really fun to pull it off! This last party might have been one of the most fun because of how to seat and feed this aging crowd. The older folk do not run in even from the deck well under a deluge. So, having everything ready and available for service inside instead of under the pop up with 25-35 mph wind and rain. Again, I had time for proper set up.
It’s always about the plan.

Chicken is fine on the WSM. You just have to cook it hot and fast. See instructions below.

If you want to use a vertical roaster, it fits nicely on the lower WSM grate.

Yes it can, but, it’s really better suited to a kettle, less air mass to get up to “Hot/Fast” temperature. Just one man’s opinion. You guys are killing me, right this minute, I think I want a rotisserie chicken(Peruvian) and a Butt AND a brisket with sausages on the side!
I guess it’s time for dinner?

The older folk do not run
This one don't. :LOL:
Well, the day wasn't a total loss.
Managed to pickle a boatload of jalapanos. Both sliced and whole.
Great on burgers or pizza.
Pizza and a movie tonight. Sci-fi if we don't watch Svengooly.
Thanks a lot for that chicken recipe, Jim.
I think I'd like to try it. But butt first. Hmm... That don't look right. :oops:
Thanks Andy. Good idea, and easy peasy.
Woops. Hit post before the second chicken recipe. The rest is an edit.
Looks like I have my work cut out for me.
Thank you sir. Will try it.
Cheers and have a great Sunday.

Back