WSM 18.5 drip pan on top of water pan

PShin

TVWBB Member
Good day all! I have tried searching the forums to this question but can't seem to find a hit.

Does anyone have experience with putting a drip pan directly over the water pan with the water inside the pan?

I'm stationed in Korea and found a stainless steel pan that perfectly fits over the water pan ($7) but wasn't sure if it would affect the cook if I put water in the water pan and then also put the round drip pan over the water pan. Best of both worlds or bad idea?

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations!
pan.jpeg

Well good idea except if it blocks the water m/steam vapor from escaping there will be a problem. And defeats the purpose. Help with temps, but no moisture until it heats enough to blow the top off or so. Wonder if putting the m tray on lower shelf would be better

Yep, I have a copper coated pizza pan over top of my water pan on my 18. I never use water in mine though. The pan works great at keeping my water pan clean. I keep the pizza pan foiled usually, it's much easier to foil than the water pan. Hope this helps.

Charlie

I've used a tray over my water pan in my 22.5", and was surprised at how much water actually steamed up and escaped. I foiled the tray, which caused the 89% perfect seal to be broken up a bit, so I'm sure that's why it was easier to get steam out (no need to 'blow the top off').
I'll continue doing this because it's a lot easier throwing a few layers of foil away from the tray than it is to clean the water sludge out of the water pan.

I've used a tray over my water pan in my 22.5", and was surprised at how much water actually steamed up and escaped. I foiled the tray, which caused the 89% perfect seal to be broken up a bit, so I'm sure that's why it was easier to get steam out (no need to 'blow the top off').
I'll continue doing this because it's a lot easier throwing a few layers of foil away from the tray than it is to clean the water sludge out of the water pan.
Awesome! Also, I wonder if the holes at the top of the water pan allow some steam to escape as well? It sounds like it will work to try this set up with water. Will definitely try the foil on the drop pan. Thanks!

I got tired of cleaning the water pan and do the same thing wrapping them both in foil. I almost always use water and it always evaporates when I do so steam will find a way.

Put a disposable foil tray on the lower cooking grate and fill it with water. It is a very simple solution. 9x13 fits an 18 WSM well.

Gives you water, temp control, moisture, drip pan, easiest clean up possible.

Only problem is if you need to cook on the lower grate.

I use a pan with my 22 and cover it with foil. I also use water and most of the time the water is all gone at the end of the cook and the grease is left on the top pan. I am all about easy clean up.

I've got the one for my 18 WSM that Chris linked and it fit perfect. I don't smoke anything without it now.

To each their own regarding water in the pan. It helps stabilize temps, but it also wastes more fuel, not to mention the mess regardless of a cover. Either learn to cook without the water or better yet, add an ATC……just saying!

Good day all! I have tried searching the forums to this question but can't seem to find a hit.

Does anyone have experience with putting a drip pan directly over the water pan with the water inside the pan?

I'm stationed in Korea and found a stainless steel pan that perfectly fits over the water pan ($7) but wasn't sure if it would affect the cook if I put water in the water pan and then also put the round drip pan over the water pan. Best of both worlds or bad idea?

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations!
View attachment 38482
First thank you for your service, I was Stationed at Osan 1974/75. Anyway I use the pan over the water pan exactly what you have . I found that for me using a water pan in a humid climate which covers about 85% of the US is not needed. To me it makes the meat crust way to soft, but the main reason is clean up. I foil that pan and It makes clean up so easy, on messy cooks like pork shoulders I put a disposable pan under to catch most of the grease.
I have used clay pot water dish and no water pan too. That works great but is fragile. So now my question in Korea what is your favorite cook to do? This was my cook yesterday. Some pulled pork for church.20211005_133543.jpg20211005_133533.jpg

First thank you for your service, I was Stationed at Osan 1974/75. Anyway I use the pan over the water pan exactly what you have . I found that for me using a water pan in a humid climate which covers about 85% of the US is not needed. To me it makes the meat crust way to soft, but the main reason is clean up. I foil that pan and It makes clean up so easy, on messy cooks like pork shoulders I put a disposable pan under to catch most of the grease.
I have used clay pot water dish and no water pan too. That works great but is fragile. So now my question in Korea what is your favorite cook to do? This was my cook yesterday. Some pulled pork for church.View attachment 38551View attachment 38552

Thanks for the input! I just cooked 3 pork butts and like a hundred pieces of chicken thighs for my Soldiers this morning. I wish I took some pictures! I was putting my Kamado Joe, WSM, and Jumbo Joe to task this morning. I am really enjoying the WSM. Holds temp even more stable than my Kamado Joe, I feel. Can't wait to try a brisket!

Wow, you are a machine man, that is great. We never had the facilities you have there now. It was a unaccompanied tour way back when. The WSM is a versatile smoker not perfect but it does very well.
Yes would love to some pictures of cooks and surrounding areas, where are you stationed ?
Korea has some very senic places. Our Last visit was 2018.

To each their own regarding water in the pan. It helps stabilize temps, but it also wastes more fuel, not to mention the mess regardless of a cover. Either learn to cook without the water or better yet, add an ATC……just saying!
I ditched the water pan right away when I bought my WSM way back when.
I did the foiled clay pot/saucer thing and didn't look back
To each his own.

Wow, you are a machine man, that is great. We never had the facilities you have there now. It was a unaccompanied tour way back when. The WSM is a versatile smoker not perfect but it does very well.
Yes would love to some pictures of cooks and surrounding areas, where are you stationed ?
Korea has some very senic places. Our Last visit was 2018.
I'm stationed in K-16 Seoul Airbase. Thankfully I got a place with a balcony that I can BBQ in rain or shine :)

Nice so now next is photos. Look forward to you contributing to our receipe list.
It will be cold by Mid November,so enjoy your time with your WSM.

Back