WSK comparo update video

Rock Weiler

TVWBB Member

not sure I agree with him, but something to watch I guess?

as has been said on here many times, Weber does need support it more with accessories

I enjoy this guy's videos and I'm not as critical about him as other people on this forum, but it's really weird to me that when he's doing the price comparison he's using the cart model price and behind him is the non-cart model. This reminds me of the Mad Scientist video where he'd do price comparisons of the Franklin with other smokers but roll in the shipping on the Franklin smoker (now shipping is included but wasn't back them) but not include shipping in the competitor's prices. Some of his complaints are valid. However, giant cart does not equal two small side shelves. I really don't like how they changed the diffuser plate, that's the one really valid point he made, but that might not matter to some people. I think the ash removal system is weird with the vestigial leg holes. I remember Jim Lampe saying he didn't like the temp control on it. You are using the ash sweeper to control intake like on regular kettles and ash and grease can muck up the system there.

It's rather biased when he takes a product comparison standpoint, but leaves out half the equation. Comments about airflow etc, but then doesn't say that his "preferred" product is pretty well the exact same design and you need to add the accessories to get to the same point to eliminate the same things he criticizes on the WSK. He also leaves out the cost of the Big Joe (equal grill size) without accessories. He also takes the S6 cost when comparing which is disingenuous.

He then goes on to criticize a whole number of absolutely irrelevant "issues"...which are all non-issues.

Heh...in Canada:

Kamado Joe (24") : $2600 (I mean, let's compare equal size grills here - 2X the price of the WSK)
Kamado Slo Roller : $389.00 (he crits airflow, but KJ needs this to do the same thing)

So no further comparisons, the Kamado Joe is $2989 (plus 5-13% tax depending where you live in Canada) to get it to the STARTING level where he can eliminate the same concerns on the KJ. You could easily add another $1000 in accessories...

IMO...in the end, he is trying to create negative product bias, likely at the request of his Kamado Joe overlords.

Last edited:
Some good points but I don't think his price point vs other Kamados is honest. The E6 is cheaper than every other Kamado he listed, and while those Kamado's do have some form of side shelves, if price is a main factor you simply cannot get one for as cheap as the Weber. Then when you go up to the S6 which is more expensive than the others, you get a way larger work surface.

Again when he mentions you can get an extremely heavy duty offset smoker from Lone Star Grillz, for not much different of a price than the S6, he shows the price of the Lone Star at $3195, what he fails to mention is unless you live in Texas these are a few hundred to ship while the S6 is included. I live in Illinois and shipping is $475 for the Lone star! So were talking about a grill that costs 70% more.

Last edited:
He probably should have mentioned the LSG 20 x 36 smoker, it lines up in price with the S6 at $2.1K. Yeah your still out probably 5 bills on shipping but their is no comparison between the two, other then price.

It's rather biased when he takes a product comparison standpoint, but leaves out half the equation. Comments about airflow etc, but then doesn't say that his "preferred" product is pretty well the exact same design and you need to add the accessories to get to the same point to eliminate the same things he criticizes on the WSK. He also leaves out the cost of the Big Joe (equal grill size) without accessories. He also takes the S6 cost when comparing which is disingenuous.

He then goes on to criticize a whole number of absolutely irrelevant "issues"...which are all non-issues.

Heh...in Canada:

Kamado Joe (24") : $2600 (I mean, let's compare equal size grills here - 2X the price of the WSK)
Kamado Slo Roller : $389.00 (he crits airflow, but KJ needs this to do the same thing)

So no further comparisons, the Kamado Joe is $2989 (plus 5-13% tax depending where you live in Canada) to get it to the STARTING level where he can eliminate the same concerns on the KJ. You could easily add another $1000 in accessories...

IMO...in the end, he is trying to create negative product bias, likely at the request of his Kamado Joe overlords.
I believe you are spot on about this. He's definitely a schill for KJ. There are/were several of them on YT doing pretty much the same thing. It's one of the reasons I dropped Man Cave Meals. Became more about the product and accessories than the food.

Heh...in Canada:

not to mention that Costco Canada has the E6 at $1300

I don't care. I still want one lol. Going to buy it soon from Costco
It's a great LAS, Vortex air fryer, grill - it can do it all I love it. I don't agree with much of his analysis. I do agree the WSM smokes just as well or better and the price is probably too high. But for all weather cooking, and a great versatile all around grill / smoker I love my E6.

He lost me as soon as he compared the WSK to the regular kettles. Not the same performance not a good comparison.

I thought his points were well taken...the relatively short warranty, the price disparity between the E6 and S6, and the top vent being central, although all kamados seem to have that in common. The lack of accessories as a negative is debatable, but I'm sure some owners would like to have ar least a roti setup without having to modify one from a KJ. I'll have to finish watching when I have time.

Last edited:
I thought his points were well taken...the relatively short warranty, the price disparity between the E6 and S6, and the top vent being central, although all kamados seem to have that in common. The lack of accessories as a negative is debatable, but I'm sure some owners would like to have ar least a roti setup without having to modify one from a KJ. I'll have to finish watching when I have time.
I agree with your take. A roti setup is almost a must have. *** Weber?! The only other option than the BigJoeKJ one is the Spit on Fire one which is $$$$$ as it's from Holland.
I'm hoping OnlyFire comes up with one at some point

Mastertouch 22" = $275, Performer Deluxe 22" = $549 - So double.... E6 = $1250, S6= $2149 so 70% more. Not sure how that argument makes sense.

He doesn't mention the one Kamado that is actually cheaper than the E6 which is the Kong. That would be an interesting comparison.

I do think the E6/S6 is overpriced when you compare it to other Weber charcoal grills.
Way overpriced when it was initially launched. They've cut corners to help reduce the price.
It does have one or two design niggles.

However, I can buy an E6 for £1,118 in the UK - currently on sale in one of the Weber retailers.

KJ Big Joe Series II is £1,899. Series III is £2,639. These are big price differences.

Whilst Weber could probably do better with the choice of accessories there are plenty of third party options.

Ironically he shows a Spit on Fire accessory added to the Joetisserie.

The deciding factor for me was that a quality ceramic was way more expensive and I also had a key requirement for manoeuvrability.
The WSK is way better value for money in my opinion.

When you price a product you have to know your “landed” cost. Shipping is included in this and these WSKs are quite huge.

So when you consider selling price, know it’s more than materials costs. There’s also tooling and stamping costs.

I’m not justifying Webers pricing but I also appreciate the warranty, customer service, and overall product quality.

So it is what it is. The same goes for cars and trucks. There’s huge price disparity amongst brands and models.

Last edited:

Back