Wrong Cookbook Sliders

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
As I mentioned over on the Just Conversation forum, America’s Test Kitchen sent Pammi the wrong cookbook this week.
She ordered an air fryer one, and got one with all the recipes from the first 12 seasons! When she called to complain, they told her to keep the wrong one and that they’d get the new one out to her quickly, which they did.
I was looking through it and zeroed in on some Oklahoma Onion Burgers, which are smash burgers cooked on a small mound of thin sliced onions, and decided to make them for lunch today.
And since I’m trying to eat a little better, I made sliders out of fresh ground beef!
My KA meat grinder attachment bit the dust, so Pammi bought me a new one for my birthday earlier this month. This one works just as well and is less expensive.
A343CA5E-A329-40E7-BE51-D71C5B61AF1C.jpeg
I put one of our CI skillets on the gasser and let it warm up for about 15 minutes. Added some vegetable oil and the thin sliced onions. AFF48F16-CF80-421D-8C7E-0B3AB18B5250.jpeg
Let those go for a couple minutes and put the patties that Pammi made for me on them and let them cook for a couple minutes on that side. I should have had her make a ball so I could smash it, but this worked out well.
6637D1CD-0965-4329-ABF3-B7110505859C.jpeg
And flipped!
F6BDC9C6-63E6-420B-975A-6A3342387656.jpeg
And cheesed with white AmericanDBBDC043-41A5-41BE-B449-ED262D4A5880.jpeg
Served on Hawaiian rolls, with mustard and homemade pickles. 9F368568-B7F7-43A6-B63F-98C7742B0E5E.jpeg2861AC69-04A3-463C-A384-DE357D954176.jpeg
These were very tasty and will be made again!
Thanks for looking!

The whole she-bang just looks terrific. Love the look on those onions. This reminds me that I need to get a new grinder for my KA.

Nice looking sliders! We grind our own ground meats and can say that if you're in it for the long haul get a dedicated meat grinder and ditch the KA. Makes the a big difference in the quality of the grind. You don't have to go super overboard either. You can get a decent one in the $100-$200 price range.

This is the new version of the one that I have (I bought mine 10 years ago).

STX Meat Grinder

Got to give that a try Phil looks really good. I was thinking of upgrading my KA meat grinder to something more substantial as we grind all our own meat now, but Barb beat me to it with a $700 new sofa.:(

Got to give that a try Phil looks really good. I was thinking of upgrading my KA meat grinder to something more substantial as we grind all our own meat now, but Barb beat me to it with a $700 new sofa.:(

Rich, this one was $32 on Amazon, using the link of course, and had great reviews!
Of course, we have the KA 600 Professional model, so it's a little stouter than the Artisan model many people have.

Those look awesome!

The onion burger is definitely one of the very unique originals from my home state. We take a lot of pride in the onion burger and when done correctly they are the best. My grandmother was a born and bred Okie, born in 1913 and lived her entire life in Oklahoma. She lived through the dust bowl, the depression, and both world wars and even losing her youngest son in Viet Nam and never left. Tough woman, like you can't imagine. The onion burger gets it's origination from the fact that most Okies didn't have enough beef for the whole family. So, my grandmother would take a full onion slice (like a puck) and place them in the skillet and then smash the small amount of beef she had around each one so that it would go far enough for two adults and 6 kids. Obviously modern onion burgers are far more elegant than the dust bowl versions, but the flavors are unmistakable and every time I eat one I instantly think about my grandmother and how hard life was in Oklahoma during that time. And, rather than view it as some embarrassing relic of my ancestor's painful adversity, it's a source of pride about how tough my kin was and how they helped make me the man and person I am today. I know to most it's "just a burger" but there's a lot more there than most probably realize. Don't even get me started on smoked bologna or college football. lol.

Thanks for posting this and your version look awesome. Well done.

Back