Wrapping Ribs: Meat Side Up or Meat Side Down Results

BruceS

TVWBB Member
When foiling ribs, I seem to be losing flavor when placing the ribs meat side down. Have any one tried
foiling the ribs bone side down and as a result achieved better flavor?

No, I prefer meat down so the ribs can braise in whatever liquid is in the wrap. I can't see a benefit to bone down.

I too prefer meat side down. What are you putting in the wrap with your ribs? I put a bit of butter, honey, brown sugar and rub along with some apple juice. Flavor seems to be ok to me.

I want my rack of ribs to be cooked the same end for end. I get that by cutting my rib racks in half, then using rib racks on my WSM's. That also allows me to use an aluminum "throw-away" pan to "wrap" my "half racks of ribs". They are much easier to handle and you can finish them how you prefer. I just remove the rib racks, apply my finishing "sauce" to the stack of half racks, tightly wrap the top of the pan, and they are good to go. I typically save the liquid afterwards since I ALWAYS make more than needed. The liquid is frozen separately, the left over half racks are vacuum packed and frozen for the next time. When the racks are thawed, they are put with a bit of the frozen sauce, then covered with BBQ sauce and heated under the broiler to set the sauce. Good as fresh off the smoker and get several meals for the two of us, from one smoke.

FWIW
Dale53

Back