Wrapping probes in aluminum foil?

Mat P

When I started using the Maverick et-732 a little over a year ago, somewhere I saw the suggestion that it would be a good idea to wrap the wires in foil to keep them clean (see below). I've been noticing lately from various photos that I think I'm the only one doing this. I like the idea of keeping everything as clean as possible...

Is this a bad idea? Doesn't matter? Curious on what others think...

14083559618_55bc6e701c.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="Memorial Day weekend 2014

I just run a wet rag over the probes and wires when I pull them out of the food/cooker. Never had a problem with that.

I don't wrap mine, but I wont say that its a bad idea either. That is one of those personal choice questions as I am sure others will chime in and let you know what they do.

If you're running a hot grill or smoker, I could see where wrapping the cables might help protect them from getting overheated. I've ruined too many grill thermometers that way.

I haven't lately but if I'm running my probes where they might get pinched, like under a smoker door I'll wrap some foil around that part. The other placeto wrap is where the wire meets the probe.

Back