WOW This is taking a long time

Scooter

So i put an 8lb pork butt on at midnight and now its 2pm and the butt is only at 183 IT. Was smoking a 225 but had to bump it up to 250 and add more coals. Its now been 14 hours and i didnt think it would take this long. I have a maverick and the therm on the digi q so i know they are accurate. The stall started about 6am this morning at around 168 degrees and lasted hours. Im not being inpatient just letting you all know to plan ahead if you plan on doing a big piece of meat like this. So if you dont want to keep your company waiting I would make it a day ahead of time and reheat.

Its all good thou. It give me more time to look around tvwbb and have a few more cold ones. Cheers from Wisconsin.

You could also foil, or bump the temps to 275.
Sounds like your gonna let it roll. Good for you!:wsm:

Tim

Yup im letter her roll.. Well until 4 when i have to leave then i will probly foil it and stick it in a cooler until i get home

It happens sometimes.
I made a pork but once and it took 13 hours. Like they say .....BBQ is ready when it's ready. :wsm:

I think you are very close now. I would be checking fork tender every 30 minutes or so from here on out and the meat temp should rise steadily from here on out.

Well 225 does take awhile, but no reason to make it a day in advance and reheat, unless you want to.
Just cook at a higher temp. Butts do well from 250-275-300-325-
275-300-325 is how I do my Other white meat. Not alot of fat IMO to render out at lower temps in regular SM cuts.
It's all about probe tender and not a specific IT. Higher temps just means your food will be done sooner.

Tim

Well i just took it out at 195 IT . Took 16 hours. I don't know how to post pics but when I do I will post some

Well 225 does take awhile, but no reason to make it a day in advance and reheat, unless you want to.
Just cook at a higher temp. Butts do well from 250-275-300-325-

^^^ This...

Think about it --- you pulled the butt when it hit 195 internal while cooking at 225 degrees. That isn't much of a difference and yeah, it's gunna take a long time given those 2 temps. I shoot for 250ish when doing an overnighter and bump it up to 275ish after I'm up for the day. 12 hours is my standard and typically purchase 9-10 pound butts.

I'd probe around with your thermometer. I seem to always put my leave in thermometer in the spot that reads the lowest temp. Inevitably I probe around and find out it has hit my target temp and tenderness when I get in my target time range. .

Last edited:
Couple points I agree with. As Dwain said, poke around. It's done when the probe goes in with little resistance. I bet there were a few spots that were done sooner. As a few people said, I'd turn up the heat a little bit. Also, you don't have to cook and then reheat the next day. Just start a little sooner. A butt will hold in a cooler, wrapped in foil for a long time. A couple hours easy. When I have people coming over to eat, I target a couple hours early so I can pull the butt off the wsm and get cleaned up before guests arrive. The time in the cooler also takes care of those few spots that weren't quite done.

Gotta agree with all the comments. I have found on my smoker, I cant cook anything at 225 or it takes FOREVER. I do 265-275 on almost everything pork

IT seems to always take me 2 hours a lb when not foiling. 16 hours sound about right to me. I also found that i like the way my pulled pork taste when i foil it over when i don't. The cooks go so much faster when i foil in a foil pan and the meat comes out tasty and moist.

A buddy and I did a side by side cook test at a competition to see if there was any difference in butts cooked at different temps. We both had an idle 22.5 WSM avail. We cooked identical everything...charcoal brands, guru, foiled clay saucers. Same rubs, same injections, sauces...all the same except he cooked at 265 and I cooked at 225.

Both butts (we had a butt each from a two cryovac pack) were prepared identically (not foiled) and we got a few of our BBQ judge buddies to give a blind review. Long story short...the only appreciable difference was that his butt came off the grill close to two hours ahead of mine. The main category we wanted to test was texture/tenderness. It was a dead draw.

So.....after years of thinking that 225 was a magic number for butts, I was proved wrong. Temps are often personal preferences, but 265 sure pushes the butts out of the smoker well ahead of my cook old times.

Back