Wow, Such Grates!!!

You don't need a new control panel unless you are unhappy with your current one. The control panel has absolutely no effect on the burners. If Samuel's looks better than yours, you might want to swap them out. Otherwise, you are good to go.

The stamped ones are just thin metal that is bent into a semi circle. The high quality ones are solid rod stainless steel. The image below shows the end of the stamped steel grates. You will notice they are hollow. The solid rod grates are just that, solid round stainless steel rods. Much, Much, Much better and will last much, much, much longer.

View attachment 45256
Thanks Bruce. Didn't realize stamped referred to the ones that came originally on the Genesis models. Hard to believe they ever put those on the Summit.

In all these years, you've not been tempted by stainless rods or cast iron? I'm sure you've tried them all. Why do you stay with the stamped steel grates?
My grill came with cast iron grates. I used them for a few years and then upgraded to those stainless steel ones. It's what they had at my Ace hardware. This was before the internet got as big as it is, so you didn't have as much choice or information to go on. The reason why I stick with them is simple. They work well and haven't degraded at all, so I don't have a desire for anything else. To each his own.

Picked up a brand new set of those by mistake over ebay for $30. Didn't realize they were the stamped steel.
If they were only $30.00 then they are cheap aftermarket, not Weber. There is a difference. I believe one of the grills you picked up might have the Weber ones on it if I remember correctly. They might not be as nice as the SS rod grates, but they are still very nice and only offered as standard on some Summit models.

Roy, I have found that on Ebay and even Amazon, they tend to not highlight the fact that they are stamped steel models and instead just claim they fit such and such grill. If you read reviews on Amazon, you will likely find several reviews that match your experience.

Last edited:
My grill came with cast iron grates. I used them for a few years and then upgraded to those stainless steel ones. It's what they had at my Ace hardware. This was before the internet got as big as it is, so you didn't have as much choice or information to go on. The reason why I stick with them is simple. They work well and haven't degraded at all, so I don't have a desire for anything else. To each his own.
Steve, They work quite well. They have small distance between bars which is really good. If yours work for you and have lasted as long as they have, I wouldn't consider swapping for something different. I have cooked on them and have found them to function just fine.

I think part of the reason they get a bad rap is from the aftermarket versions. I get them on most of the grills I buy for rehabbing and at least half of them have broken welds on them. I think those are the aftermarket ones. I think the Genuine Weber ones are much better constructed.

If they were only $30.00 then they are cheap aftermarket, not Weber. There is a difference. I believe one of the grills you picked up might have the Weber ones on it if I remember correctly. They might not be as nice as the SS rod grates, but they are still very nice and only offered as standard on some Summit models.
They were new Weber ones. I bought them on ebay for $30 (including shipping). I think the grates were $8.50 and shipping was $21.50. The guy said he had gotten an extra set from Weber on a warranty claim but never used them so they sat under the grill. They have a bit of discoloration from sitting exposed for years.

Steve, They work quite well. They have small distance between bars which is really good. If yours work for you and have lasted as long as they have, I wouldn't consider swapping for something different. I have cooked on them and have found them to function just fine.

I think part of the reason they get a bad rap is from the aftermarket versions. I get them on most of the grills I buy for rehabbing and at least half of them have broken welds on them. I think those are the aftermarket ones. I think the Genuine Weber ones are much better constructed.
Mine too. I cooked on them before getting the BBQParts grates, which I considered a meaningful upgrade (and the Summit version yet another upgrade). The stamped steel ones worked well. Cooking on them on the Weber was a huge upgrade over the CharBroil. Of course, I'm brand new to all of this. I don't know if that makes my sense of things more insightful (as a newcomer with beginner's mind) or less (for lack of knowledge and experience). More likely the latter, perhaps.

Last edited:
They were new Weber ones. I bought them on ebay for $30 (including shipping). I think the grates were $8.50 and shipping was $21.50. The guy said he had gotten an extra set from Weber on a warranty claim but never used them so they sat under the grill. They have a bit of discoloration from sitting exposed for years.
So you got a good deal on them even if they weren't exactly new in the box.

Yeah, they'll go on the grill I'm giving to my buddy. I'd offer them to you for the same thirty plus shipping if the combined number didn't make it a bad deal.
Thanks, appreciate the offer but I really only need one set. I can switch them between grills if need be.

Thanks, appreciate the offer but I really only need one set. I can switch them between grills if need be.
Steve, gotta give you a thumbs up because the stamped ss grates are a good choice in my view. Why? SS is not a good conductor of heat, and in this instance thinner is better for faster heating. Downside is that thinner doesn't hold heat as well as thicker, so a smart chef takes advantage of what he has. You will want thinner if you load up your grill and thicker if cooking for two. EDIT: Why? Heat recovery time is quicker on thinner, and you can use the grill space to your advantage with thicker.

Last edited:
The other thing i'd like to opine about is grid spacing. We cook our food on a grill via convection (heated air) and conduction (surface to surface, for sear marks), and tighter grid spacing means less opportunity for things like asparagus to fall through the gaps. (I should also mention radiation, for those IR burner fans out there). I prefer a griddle over grates for most things, but to each his own.

The other thing i'd like to opine about is grid spacing. We cook our food on a grill via convection (heated air) and conduction (surface to surface, for sear marks), and tighter grid spacing means less opportunity for things like asparagus to fall through the gaps. (I should also mention radiation, for those IR burner fans out there). I prefer a griddle over grates for most things, but to each his own.
It's good to know that people have preferences and there's not an unambiguous "best" choice. Never thought about it but the stamped ones do have small spaces between the grates. Haven't had the chance to grill veggies on the Weber yet. When I tried it on the CharBroil, results were not good (as they tended to slip through and that thing did not cook evenly).

It's good to know that people have preferences and there's not an unambiguous "best" choice. Never thought about it but the stamped ones do have small spaces between the grates. Haven't had the chance to grill veggies on the Weber yet. When I tried it on the CharBroil, results were not good (as they tended to slip through and that thing did not cook evenly).
Roy, I'm not being critical, only analytical. I read a lot and don't always follow the herd (being honest, sometimes I do!). Of course what works for me may not work for you and that's the beauty of it, doncha think?

What I gotta say about Weberitis is, STOP...take a breath...it's all about sharing what you know and what you've learned as a cook and putting food on the table for yourself and others to enjoy, Shaving is a solitary experience

(which I myself don't particularly enjoy but you as a professional I can understand), cooking is another. Grates are not going to make you a better cook.

Last edited:
What I gotta say about Weberitis is, STOP...take a breath...it's all about sharing what you know and what you've learned as a cook and putting food on the table for yourself and others to enjoy, Shaving is a solitary experience

(which I myself don't particularly enjoy but you as a professional I can understand), cooking is another. Grates are not going to make you a better cook.
Doesn't make me a better cook but it did make my last set of steaks better than the ones before. They seared so nicely. There was this outer shell of deep brown. Just under that layer, the meat was well cooked (which is our preference) but tender. With each upgrade -- from CharBroil grill to Weber, from stamped steel to stainless grates and from those grates to these -- the result has been a better result on the table.

Yah, I think overall the solid rod grates are superior. However, I am sure there are situations where even an accomplished griller might opt for a set of stamped steel grates for certain circumstances.

For grills that don’t get much use you are better off with stainless.

If you use the grill 4 or 5 times a week the cooking grates will get seasoned so rust isn’t a factor.

Plus it's all preference anyway. Roy I am glad that you are finding your setup, I'm a big fan of the heavy stainless rods. With the rotisserie receptacle, natural gas and a light outside I'm really just about completely good. Except of course that I need to re do the wood slats. For what it's worth, I feel like even after I get those redone, it's just going to make another part of the grill stand out as needing attention. Kind of like painting your house.

Back