Wow, Such Grates!!!

Wow, check this out!

It's five or six hours from me so no way. But the lid is beautiful.

Ok, I admit I have a problem.

Wow. Just $129 on Amazon. Had I known, I would have bought these but now I already have two sets of grates. Will just keep my eyes open for the next Summit. Preferably a broken down one on the side of the road so I can just pull the grates and run. 🙃
Oops. Just noticed that price is for a single grate. Plus there's $15.50 shipping on top of the $129. Not a good deal. Plus I'm responding to my own posts. Goin' cattywompus. Jumpin' the couch. The wheel is spinning but the hamster's dead. Bedtime for Bonzo!

I didn't say they were cheap, just that you could still buy them new. 🙂. I did see some aftermarket ones that were a lot more reasonable. Just throwing it out there.

I didn't say they were cheap, just that you could still buy them new. 🙂. I did see some aftermarket ones that were a lot more reasonable. Just throwing it out there.
The aftermarket ones aren't 9 mm. Unless and until Dave gets back in the game with something not insanely expensive, I'll be sniffing around for free Summits to junk. Buying the car for the windshield wipers as THyde so aptly put it.

Oh my! Setting aside any concerns family and friends may have, are you able to restore these things in a manner that's remotely sensible? How much time do you put in on an average grill and how much profit do you make, if you don't mind my asking.
Everything you see in the pic will be done and off to a new home by mid-May. I have a 9-5 job so it’s nights and weekends for me. Most of these grills will be basic rehab flips selling in the $200 +/- range. I keep a good parts inventory on hand and can push out 1 or 2 a week when properly motivated. I do know of at least 2 among those in the photo that will be full restorations. My market seems to carry a better selling point than many others which helps a bit. As an example, I was hired last July to source and do a full resto on a 1996 redhead for a couple who were married that year. It’s getting new components wherever possible including things like the tank gauge, wheels, and all new woodwork which are among those items usually left undone on a resale project. The only glaring diversion from a near original look will be the custom wheel inserts with the customer’s last name and year of getting married in place of the “Weber”. Let me tell you, there’s a group of folks here that are about to cringe when I say that I punched out and sacrificed the OEM Weber inserts on a brand new pair of #63050 wheels for this project. I wince just retelling the story. In the same breath, the customer didn’t bat an eye when I quoted them $600 for the job. Even at that, what I do is not a sustainable source of income. I give away a lot of my time under the pretense of a hobby and have been ok with that right from the get-go. Find your niche and enjoy it....whether that be 2, 7, or 24 grills.
0B651452-5493-42D3-96E1-4759CBE4B13F.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes Roy you do have a strong case of Weberitis. I have it pretty bad myself. I maxed out at 12 grills before I overwhelmed myself and gave several away to the local scrapper. I found myself acquiring more then I was restoring. I decided to condense them down to only the ones I was going to keep for myself. Although I did end up with some extra parts to use later. Some parts I sold and some parts I just gave to others so long as they paid for the shipping other parts I traded. Nothing like a helpful trade for both users.

I have an extra 2005 Genesis Platinum Control panel if you find yours is to far gone. I think I may also have a black one if you need one.

The aftermarket ones aren't 9 mm. Unless and until Dave gets back in the game with something not insanely expensive, I'll be sniffing around for free Summits to junk. Buying the car for the windshield wipers as THyde so aptly put it.
Well, just keep in mind that the 3rd generation Summit grates (the ones I reviewed), while also 9mm, are only 13 bars to the grate rather than the much better 15 per grate that the Platinum Summit had. Also, not all 2nd generation Summits had those nice grates. In fact, the base "Silver" model had cheap stamped grates. So, be discriminating at what ads your Weberitis leads you to, or you might be driving round trips for nothing!

Everything you see in the pic will be done and off to a new home by mid-May. I have a 9-5 job so it’s nights and weekends for me. Most of these grills will be basic rehab flips selling in the $200 +/- range. I keep a good parts inventory on hand and can push out 1 or 2 a week when properly motivated. I do know of at least 2 among those in the photo that will be full restorations. My market seems to carry a better selling point than many others which helps a bit. As an example, I was hired last July to source and do a full resto on a 1996 redhead for a couple who were married that year. It’s getting new components wherever possible including things like the tank gauge, wheels, and all new woodwork which are among those items usually left undone on a resale project. The only glaring diversion from a near original look with be the custom wheel inserts with the customer’s last name and year of getting married in place of the “Weber”. Let me tell you, there’s a group of folks here that are about to cringe when I say that I punched out and sacrificed the OEM Weber inserts on a brand new pair of #63050 wheels for this project. I wince just retelling the story. In the same breath, the customer didn’t bat an eye when I quoted them $600 for the job. Even at that, what I do is not a sustainable source of income. I give away a lot of my time under the pretense of a hobby and have been ok with that right from the get-go. Find your niche and enjoy it....whether that be 2, 7, or 24 grills.
View attachment 45217
Wow, you really put a lot of yourself into this. Guess it's part hobby, part part-time business.

Yes Roy you do have a strong case of Weberitis. I have it pretty bad myself. I maxed out at 12 grills before I overwhelmed myself and gave several away to the local scrapper. I found myself acquiring more then I was restoring. I decided to condense them down to only the ones I was going to keep for myself. Although I did end up with some extra parts to use later. Some parts I sold and some parts I just gave to others so long as they paid for the shipping other parts I traded. Nothing like a helpful trade for both users.

I have an extra 2005 Genesis Platinum Control panel if you find yours is to far gone. I think I may also have a black one if you need one.
Thanks Samuel. Especially for the offer. How would I know if I need a control panel? The writing on mine is mostly worn away but the tubes seem to burn appropriately.

Well, just keep in mind that the 3rd generation Summit grates (the ones I reviewed), while also 9mm, are only 13 bars to the grate rather than the much better 15 per grate that the Platinum Summit had. Also, not all 2nd generation Summits had those nice grates. In fact, the base "Silver" model had cheap stamped grates. So, be discriminating at what ads your Weberitis leads you to, or you might be driving round trips for nothing!
Thanks Jon. How can I identify in advance whether grates were cheap and stamped (versus the high quality ones)?

Of course I'm not gonna pay this guy $995 for his Summit. Just a question. The grates seem to have 13 bars. What's the deal here? Looks like a high-end Summit but there's no smoker box. What's with the smaller grates? Are the bars further apart? Are these the cheap stamped ones that Jon was talking about?

Thanks Samuel. Especially for the offer. How would I know if I need a control panel? The writing on mine is mostly worn away but the tubes seem to burn appropriately.
You don't need a new control panel unless you are unhappy with your current one. The control panel has absolutely no effect on the burners. If Samuel's looks better than yours, you might want to swap them out. Otherwise, you are good to go.
Thanks Jon. How can I identify in advance whether grates were cheap and stamped (versus the high quality ones)?
The stamped ones are just thin metal that is bent into a semi circle. The high quality ones are solid rod stainless steel. The image below shows the end of the stamped steel grates. You will notice they are hollow. The solid rod grates are just that, solid round stainless steel rods. Much, Much, Much better and will last much, much, much longer.

grates.jpg

Of course I'm not gonna pay this guy $995 for his Summit. Just a question. The grates seem to have 13 bars. What's the deal here? Looks like a high-end Summit but there's no smoker box. What's with the smaller grates? Are the bars further apart? Are these the cheap stamped ones that Jon was talking about?

That is a 3rd generation Summit, so the grates are like the ones that I reviewed and posted here recently. They are thick, 430 stainless rod grates, but fewer rods per grate. Accordingly, the space between the rods is over a half inch - much wider apart then say Dave Santana's or those ones you found on the 2nd generation Platinum Summit.

That is a 3rd generation Summit, so the grates are like the ones that I reviewed and posted here recently. They are thick, 430 stainless rod grates, but fewer rods per grate. Accordingly, the space between the rods is over a half inch - much wider apart then say Dave Santana's or those ones you found on the 2nd generation Platinum Summit.
Thanks Jon. Once again, so helpful!

Back