Would you buy this?

I have the 4 burner gen 1 Summit and love it. Gotta look closely at the front panel openings where the burners come through holes to the valves. Those tend to rust out and become dangerous over time. Love the blue color. Not sure about the work involved to switch to LP. How much is the seller asking for it?

Private message sent with dollar amount. Divorce sale, Wife selling his stuff cheep.

Can't remember ever seeing a blue one before. Very nice.
That being said, be VERY careful about going down this rabbit hole. Even getting that grill free could result in a lot of dollars down the drain.

Jon might be able to give you some good person insight into this potential project.

Can't remember ever seeing a blue one before. Very nice.
That being said, be VERY careful about going down this rabbit hole. Even getting that grill free could result in a lot of dollars down the drain.

Jon might be able to give you some good person insight into this potential project.
Thanks Bruce.

I pm’d Jon with some questions.

It would be awfully tempting, even if you had to find another one just to get the LP manifold and tank hanging parts. It looks like it's in pretty nice shape and you have to love that blue lid!

When Summit was first introduced in 1997, it was available in black, red, blue, and green. At the end of the run in 2002, black was the only porcelain color available. Stainless was also an option.

C84E8B86-A716-4ECD-9656-B3C690C6A71B.jpeg

I would just because I love these grills. The blue is a cool touch. Conversion may be possible, but I doubt you can just buy a new manifold. So you are looking at the trickier way with changing orifices and hoping the valves are compatible - a better chance on this Summit than on a Genesis.

I have worked with a sheet metal shop to make stainless steel reinforcements fit the firebox on these. I am getting over COVID but will soon reaching out to those who have expressed an interest in buying some. I am very impressed with what the shop did, and with these in place, I believe the one big negative of this otherwise spectacular grill is solved.

I'm with you there, the first generation Summit grill is gorgeous in the same way a WWII tank is, except for those darn cookboxes!
Yes that is absolutely true. That’s why I am so happy to have found a place to make the stainless steel shields I posted above. Even a set of these on the inside only should do the trick, but if you want to go all out putting them on the front and back, that should buy you many more years of safe use. Most likely, the rest of the grill will finally give out before you would have any problem with burn-through.

Yes that is absolutely true. That’s why I am so happy to have found a place to make the stainless steel shields I posted above. Even a set of these on the inside only should do the trick, but if you want to go all out putting them on the front and back, that should buy you many more years of safe use. Most likely, the rest of the grill will finally give out before you would have any problem with burn-through.
Thanks Jon
Hope you feel better soon.

Back