Would like to circle back to a previously asked question regarding painting the Genesis hood sides and cook box

Jim, I would like to see some pictures or better yet a video of your attempts at painting a frame that show where you are not happy with the results. I find the 2X and even the Rusto High Heat paint to be very forgiving.

Bruce, how long should one reasonably expect a properly prepped and properly applied high heat paint to last on the firebox and lid?

They cook box.....veeerrryyy long. The end caps, not so much is what I have found. When I do end caps, I try to save the original paint even if I have to spray a couple coats over it to dress it up. But plain old spray paint on those smooth end caps just doesn't stand up too long. The good thing is that they are aluminum and you don't have to worry about rust. But they are exposed and take a beating, especially from covers. My cook box on my grill after 4 years looks great other than the grease dripping down the sides. But the end caps have a fair amount of exposed aluminum now.
But, in all fairness, it was one of the very first grills I really rehabbed and I don't recall how many coats I used and I probably didn't prep it for painting at all. Meaning I probably just ground off the factory paint and didn't use any solvent to clean them up before painting. If I get bored later this summer, I may pull them off and redo them. But, like I said, the are not going to rust anyway and it won't improve the grill performance.

Truth is coming out in small clips about the ways you have learned what NOT to do Bruce? You were not born rehabbing grills???
Actually I’m glad you mentioned the “Cover wear” on end caps, I need to re do mine (they were my first ones) when I can get the spare set to the sandblaster. That’s all on hold until I get home from the cottage!

Assuming you have an air compressor, have any of you rehabbers considered building a sandblast cabinet?

Ed, that has been discussed several times on here. Pretty much determined that unless you already have all the equipment or at least most of it, it is just too big of an investment and it takes up too much room for the average guy.

Yah, no biggy, just letting you know that it has been discussed and mulled over with several members going as far as to price things out and try to determine what size of compresses was necessary and how big of a blast box was needed and all that. Myself included. But, I don't think anyone actually went out and started from scratch to build a blasting system for grills. I think a couple guys that already had much of the equipment necessary might have added what was needed to do a cook box, but I can't remember any. Most on here just shop around and hopefully find a near by business that does it and takes their grills there to be done.
If you get into doing a lot of rehab grills, it might be worth it to build a cabinet that would work.

When I paint my frames I have tried a few different methods........Like I said I tried to rough up the frames with steel wool.......then wipe down with 99.9% rub alc......I have tried primer........but for some reason the 2X and the high Heat just isnt laying down for the correct finish. I am tempted to not paint my current resto frame because of the issues that I have had so far. As a matter of fact the easy part.....painting is what has been giving me all of my troubles.....everything else is just elbow grease. I find myself in the same situation again......the reason I started this posting on this forum. I have my blue topper hood disassembled with the end caps off. I easily cleaned the inside of the hood to a mirror finish and the outside of the hood looks great. I used a green scrubby pad on the inside of the end caps and they cleaned up very easily to my surprise. But here we go again.......I have many chips in the end caps paint so I am in the same stand off........I cant just paint over it because the chips will show up as shiny. I do not like the smooth look so I dont want to take the oem finish off. I dont like the flat look so I wont paint with flat. I cant add texture because there is no such thing as high heat texture paint that I know of. So what the heck do I do????? What do you masters of the flip do???? I am thinking about painting with my preferred paint High Heat Ultra then touching the shiny parts while still wet with a micro fiber towel to add texture. I will include some pics of my progress today.

Attachments

• 20200703_203221.jpg
    20200703_203221.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200703_203157.jpg
    20200703_203157.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200703_203202.jpg
    20200703_203202.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 27
When I paint my frames I have tried a few different methods........Like I said I tried to rough up the frames with steel wool.......then wipe down with 99.9% rub alc......I have tried primer........but for some reason the 2X and the high Heat just isnt laying down for the correct finish. I am tempted to not paint my current resto frame because of the issues that I have had so far. As a matter of fact the easy part.....painting is what has been giving me all of my troubles.....everything else is just elbow grease. I find myself in the same situation again......the reason I started this posting on this forum. I have my blue topper hood disassembled with the end caps off. I easily cleaned the inside of the hood to a mirror finish and the outside of the hood looks great. I used a green scrubby pad on the inside of the end caps and they cleaned up very easily to my surprise. But here we go again.......I have many chips in the end caps paint so I am in the same stand off........I cant just paint over it because the chips will show up as shiny. I do not like the smooth look so I dont want to take the oem finish off. I dont like the flat look so I wont paint with flat. I cant add texture because there is no such thing as high heat texture paint that I know of. So what the heck do I do????? What do you masters of the flip do???? I am thinking about painting with my preferred paint High Heat Ultra then touching the shiny parts while still wet with a micro fiber towel to add texture. I will include some pics of my progress today.
Yah, Dang. I wish I could see exactly what you are doing with the paint to make it turn out bad. I am sure you are shaking it good before spraying and while spraying you shake it occasionally. But how many cans of paint have you gone through with this problem? Reason I ask is that I bought three cans of the Rusto High Heat Ultra from Home Depot last year. All three of them went on all splotchy. I wound up taking them back on driving over to Walmart to get new ones that I knew would be from a different batch. Those worked fine. HD must have gotten a bad shipment.

That trick with the towel sounds interesting, but I am skeptical that it will work. If you try it, let us know how it turns out for you.

Interesting what your saying about a bad batch of high heat....I guess thats possible. Yes I shake and shake.....and shake while I spray as well. I had the same issue with the 2x which really shocked me to say ***? I will only feel confident now to try some actual paint prep product.......or on another grill but I dont wanna spoil the blueberry....I also might have to go with a tack coat then build from there......I just did not expect to have issues just rattle cannin'

You might try it out on some other object first. One of these days, I am going to do a video on painting the end caps, the cook box and the frame.

Ya I dont think there is a video on correctly prepping and painting.......yet there are vids out there of regular guys doing a resto but nothing from the pro's
Yes trying the towel trick on an old 2 burner unit that may never be cleaned up will be my trial

Ya see......this is a typical guy doing a clean and paint. In his still photo at the end of the resto the grill looks pretty good......but on this forum we can all see the issue........he just paints right over all of the chips on the end caps and we all know what that looks like when finished. Now he probably doesnt care because maybe he wasnt trying for perfection....but during assembly u can see how bad the end caps look.........there has to be a way to re create the OEM look......

Yah, I won't nit pick the process or results, but it was a good job of cinematography.

I agree.....hope it didnt seem as if I was bashing the guy........just pointing out this is what most folks are doing........and the outcome might be fine for most folks.....but when I did that process it was not the look I was looking for.

No, I totally understand your concern on how the end caps and even cook box was done.

Have you considered buying a quart of Rusto High Heat Satin and rolling it on with a roller? Different nap lengths and sponges would give you a variety of textures...there is even a microfiber roller available. Or use a sponge and dab at the shiny areas. Spray paint is much thinner than paint in a can and more difficult to texture.

Last edited:

Back