Worst Weber Ever?

Horace P

TVWBB Member
I am working on a Weber Genesis II 410. I have posted before that I feel that the Genesis II and Spirit II are the worst Weber's ever. {understand personal opinion). I refurbish Weber's and so far this year have completed 105 and have done at least 300 Weber's since 2018. I try to avoid working on the Genesis II and Spirit II because they are so difficult. They rot out quickly and the parts are not only hard to come by but expensive. Anyone else have a problem with these? I spoke with Weber recently and they explained that it was their way of keeping up with Charbroil? Can't compare the two.

Yes parts for the newer 2017 Genesis and later are expensive. Even cast iron grates for the II 3xx is over $100
As far as Charbroil, not sure i understand from a parts cost ? i would think Weber is better designed for sure than Charbroil, maybe parts quality ?
I used to have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant and was a great design but all the parts were cheaply made, they broke all the time, it was a parts nightmare.
PS - what in particular is not in sync with the 410 model ?

What's failing so soon on the new Genesis ii models? They're so new. Aren't they still under warranty? Photos of issues?

Horace,
Good to hear from you. I haven't had the opportunity to work on - or use - any Genesis II or Spirit II grills. Just looking at them in stores, though,I have to admit that I really like the open cart Genesis II. Still, several here who have worked on them have also complained about thin construction. As far as parts, these are too new for their to be a lot of after-market replacements. On the other hand, as A Lee noted, most stuff is under a 10 year warranty.

Aiming to compete with Charbroil is a pretty low aim! I think, though, that the bean counters at Weber keep looking for angles to lower production cost, inevitably at the expense of durability. I don't think George :george: would have approved at all. So, you can buy a cheap Charbroil, Nexgrill, Master Forgery or whatever - or a new Weber for a lot more. I still think the Weber would cook a lot better, but based on your observations and those of others, you would be wise to have your grill registered and warranty papers handy - you probably will be needing them!

I rehabbed a lightly used Spirit II three burner and parted out a nearly new genesis II three burner that had been met with a car bumper. I agree the construction is a step down from even the previous generation. I have seen pictures of these grills with pretty significant rust on the frame after only a couple years. Aside from that, they seem to be good cooking machines and probably on par with the front burner E3xx grills of the previous generation.

I'll post pics later today. This is the 5rh Genesis ii I have had to do a complete rehab on. Yes the warranty is grest 10 years on everything but by year 2 you shouldn't have to replace everything. This one I particular is so bad the only weber is not replacing is the thermometer. I am not joking, i suggested to the person who bought this to try and get Weber to just send them a gift card for a new one. But no, piece by piece it comes through ups. However, the 10 bottom slats, the warming rack and the 4 heat defectors are out of stock till sometime in January. Every one of these grill I worked on all had warped firebox, burners, flavorizer bars and heat shields rotted out. 2 years or less. Now I find older webers , silver models, 500 and 700 units that just need a few parts and good cleaning. They last forever

Wow, Horace. You probably have the most first hand experience with these Genesis II grills of all of us here. It is certainly sad to hear such negative reports, but I know what the Florida climate especially is capable of. Still, like you said, that is no excuse for that short of a life.

So, yes, that is why many of us here are fans of the older "classic" Weber Genesis grills that were REAL Webers. They have their issues, but they were built to last - and cook great! I kind of see it as a goal to re-introduce these timeless grills to a newer generation by doing nice restorations and trying to get the word out.

Genesis ii and Spirit ii combined, I have had around 20 so far, new and used. I have not had any
issues with lids, fireboxes, or any internal components. However, I find the frames to be horrible.
Thinner, cheaper metal is being used, and it rusts fast. I don't know if its the cheap metal, pour rust
prevention or both, but you should not have rust bubbling through the paint routinely after only
2 years, and on grills that spend the winter indoors. I have seen that more than once. I have assembled
about a half dozen of these new, out of the box, and I always end up with some frame part or another in
the Jawhorse, with me beating, and twisting it to the correct form to match up with the other parts.

I haven't had the experience you and Horace have. I have only looked at them in the stores, but it is clear that the "frames" are just bent metal rather than the much sturdier, thicker steel used in decent tube frames like on the Genesis 1-5, x000 and Silver/Gold grills.

So, yes, that is why many of us here are fans of the older "classic" Weber Genesis grills that were REAL Webers. They have their issues, but they were built to last - and cook great! I kind of see it as a goal to re-introduce these timeless grills to a newer generation by doing nice restorations and trying to get the word out.
Yes, that's me in a nutshell. I think I have a total of 4 stashed (broken up) in my shed along with the one I use (red, maroon, green, gray, skyline) and I still keep my eyes open for another one. I need to start rehabbing them but I haven't yet. I must say that the classic look is a little bit dated but I love it along with the 85 TransAm.

Bill,
It does seem that to many with a more modern eye that the older Genesis grills look dated. To others, though, they look like a classic Jaguar. I am thinking particularly of the ones with stained wood slats. I am definitely in that camp and hope there are enough people out there to buy some I hope to restore at a high enough price that I can fuel my collector habit :coolkettle: !

Update on Genesis ii, spoke with a representative from Weber to regarding this Genesis, she admitted in her opinion it is a very bad grill as far as durability. They have the unlimited 10 year warranty on the entire grill for a reason. As of today they are replacing every part on and in this grill, problem is they do not have most parts in stock. (Parts come from china). So I am waiting for the bottom slats, the heat shields, the burner brackets that attach to the firebox and at least 4 other parts. According to her maybe mid January to Feb.

Its surprising anybody would admit to the product they sell is junk, taking proper care of your equipment leads to long life, road hard and put up wet shortens the life on anything. Nothing is made as well as stuff 10 years ago, if it was they would have a hard time selling it due to the cost. we have become a throwaway society

Update on Genesis ii, spoke with a representative from Weber to regarding this Genesis, she admitted in her opinion it is a very bad grill as far as durability. They have the unlimited 10 year warranty on the entire grill for a reason. As of today they are replacing every part on and in this grill, problem is they do not have most parts in stock. (Parts come from china). So I am waiting for the bottom slats, the heat shields, the burner brackets that attach to the firebox and at least 4 other parts. According to her maybe mid January to Feb.
Why don't they just send you a new grill or give you a voucher to get one at a local store?

Honestly I don't see anything about what Weber is now selling to warrant the price they ask. I haven't for a VERY long time

No it does not make sense to the average guy. But, I am sure their bean counters have a reason for doing so. I could speculate on the reasons, but I would just be guessing.

In my opinion they count on slippage. Most folks won't go into the trouble of registering, using warranty and replacing a lot of parts. A lot of people don't even clean their grills, they keep the grill for a few years, then sell or junk it.

Back