Working from home

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
The COVID-19 thread contains a few scattered posts about working from home but I thought it might be interesting to give the subject its own placee in the spotlight. My last day in the office was Wednesday, March 18 and that night my boss texted that we're all working from home until told otherwise, so since then I've been doing that on a regular basis for the first time ever. I work in IT and have a company laptop, so all I really need is a halfway internet connection and on Friday the 20th I went into the office to grab some notes and documentation. I also borrowed the 20" monitor from my desk, as there was no way I was going to spend 40 hours a week looking at a laptop screen.

At first I was going to work at the kitchen table but that's where my wife works when she's able to avoid the office, so I carved out a space on an old desk in the lower level of the master bedroom. I made a keyboard shelf by pulling out the drawer part way and laying a piece of 2x12 across it, but I might need to come up with something a little better. And to replace the muzak that plays at work I turn on the TV in the upper level and play cooking/food shows in the background. It took me a couple of guys to get into a rhythm and develop a routine, but now I've settled in pretty good and while I actually wouldn't mind working this way all the time I do miss the camaraderie of the office.

I find that I'm saving water by only showering when my wife tells me to, and underwear lasts a lot longer when you don't actually wear it. Plus on days when she's at home, we can play "The Boss and the Naughty Secretary". Or did you not need to know these things?;)

For other first-time-at-homers, what have you done to adapt and adjust?

Last edited:
Wife sets up in the living room, using the 55" tv as a monitor. I'm using the office off the family room in the lower level. Turn on the Grit channel, and tap the keys. Wife works for a local television station. I'm a technical writer. Both of us have just finished three weeks, working from home.

There have been a few technical glitches; most of them minor. Getting the soft phone software to work was a real problem. Fixed that after IT gave up, by loading new drivers for the audio to the laptop. Seems odd to dial a co-worker's extension and talk to them as If we were in the same building, but we are miles apart.

Have a routine down, and actually like working from home. Time goes by fast, and I end up putting more hours in than when I work in the office. Somehow, I don't seem to mind. I do miss the interaction, and getting information and answers when needed is a challenge.

TMI, Brad, TMI... :)

I've finally cleared off a space on my desk for the client laptop and a wired connection to my guest network. Finally broke down and bought a 27" 4k monitor, new KVM switch (6 out of 8 ports used) and a new keyboard & mouse. Finally have to give up my 20+ Micron keyboard (PS2 connection.)

A couple of my house managers (aka domestic rodent control engineers,) do have a habit of demanding an immediate conference, especially in the afternoon. Not a problem most of the time, unless I'm on a conference or video call.

Under a lot of circumstances, I have equally as good of a connection here as I do at my desk. I do have data center responsibilities, so I do have to be able to pick up and go at a moment's notice. With the 4k monitor, I have about 1/3 more pixels in total than I do in the client cube.

And.... my ISP (Internet, TV & phone) appears to be having problems this morning. Guess I should go check my VPN connection.

Working from home is not really a new thing for me, as my employer (who makes a good deal of the infrastructure many are using to enable working from home) embraced the concept many years ago. I have access to everything from my home office that I would have access to if I were in one of our actual offices (minus the people, of course.) Virtually all of my internal meetings are conducted with video conferencing, and most of the external meetings I do (that would have been in person before) are conducted over WebEx with video as well.

I found that the key to success for me was to have a space that was designated as my office. We're lucky to have a spare bedroom, so that's where I am set up. I've got a good desk, comfortable chair, and a very large HD monitor that serves as my extended desktop, and video screen. My kids have lived with me working from home (when not with customers) for so long, that they know that when dad's office door is closed, he is not to be disturbed.

I've got relatively reliable high-speed internet (it's been tested the last few weeks, but I'm guessing Comcast did some upgrades in the last few days, as my bandwidth appears to have returned to pre-Covid levels.) I have multiple wireless access points that provide excellent WiFi signal throughout the house, and into my yard, so, when I need a break from my home office, I can be mobile and effective.

I think that after this pandemic is over (whenever that is) that there will be many more employers who, through direct experience from our current situation, will more fully understand that people can work from home effectively (assuming that their job roles/duties are compatible.) More flexibility in the way many of us work will be one of the lasting impacts of what we're going through now.

It's a little different since my wife and three kids are all doing work/school from home.....but manageable.

R

Pammi has been home for about 3 weeks now, as she's a teacher.
Monday, on her birthday no less, she gets to start teaching her first graders over the internet.
Luckily, she only has to do so 2 days a week, but she s required to still work from 7-3 each day to get ready for those 2 days.
She's been "talking" to about 2/3 of her class already.
And, she still has 2 or 3 "meetings" with her grade and faculty.
I, on the other hand, work for a company that supports the essential services, transportation, agriculture, communications, some local governments, so my behind has been at it!

Back