Worked 62 hours last week... Much needed day off and cook... Boneless chuck roast...

Leo Rousseau

TVWBB Super Fan
*FAILED!*Worked 62 hours last week.Much needed day off and cook.Boneless chuck roast.

I'm doing, or attempting a pulled beef dinner tonight... Started at 9 this morning with a 4 lb. boneless chuck roast... Rubbed it last night with my homemade rub and let it sit overnight wrapped in saran wrap... This morning I setup the performer with a ring of KBB all around some bricks with a couple small chunks of hickory (I don't like heavy smoke flavor) in strategic locations... While the grill was coming up to temp I injected the roast with some beef broth, apple juice and some rub... I put the beef on around 10:00 and it is at 225 now which is a half hour later... I'm gonna bring the meat up to 165 and them place in an aluminum pan with some onions, carrots, beef broth and the juices that fell from the roast while cooking and cover that until 200 degrees... I'm hoping that I'm right on course for what I'd like to eat for dinner... I'm gonna go out now and throw some fingerlings on with EVOO and seasoning...

Vegetables are cut and sitting in some beef broth... I think I'm gonna add some more broth though...

Decided to add fingerlings with the other veggies instead of on the grate...

I just checked the meat with a different thermometer to assure myself that yes indeed it has stalled and it proved that my assumption is correct that it stalled at 158 degrees... The roast is looking good and smelling good so far and I have a lot of charcoal that has yet to burn (pleasant surprise)... Now that I know what's going on I can continue to enjoy my beer... Here is a pic of the roast at 158 degrees...

Okay my peeps, temp got up to 160 so I decided to throw(place) it on top of the veggies and foil tightly until it reaches internal 200... If at that point the veggies are not done(most likely they won't be), I'll throw(again, place) the veggies back on the grill to finish while the meat comes down to reality...

Last edited:
Leo, this looks like it will be very good when finished and I'm looking forward to more pictures. I really like your setup with the snake method for the coals and the bricks. I have never used this method on long cooks on my 26.75 OTG and am having to add more coals every 30-45 minutes or so. I will definitely give this method a try on my next long cook. Enjoy your much deserved day off and happy BBQing.

look forward to the final result... Don't work so hard it's taking up your bbq time.

Enjoy the day off Leo...I like the way you work that performer. Looks like it's going to be a great cook!

Thanks guys... Beautiful day here, 64 and partly cloud... The roast is up to 158 and has seemed to have stalled so I think it's time to have my first beer of the day...

Ok, just ate dinner and it was so disappointing to me... I pulled it off at 195 and let the meat sit alone covered in foil and a had a dish towel over it for about a half hour... When I went to pull it I realized that it was tuff to pull and seemed dry... I'm not sure what I did wrong here but I hope you guys and gals might have some answers for me... I tried so hard in doing this only to be really disappointed... The flavor was great and the bark was perfect but the meat was tuff and dry... Please help me out :( ... Here are a few pics of the disappointment...
Veggies came out good, but that's about it...

Last edited:
Leo;
After you foil it, don't try to rely on temperature. Now is the time to ONLY rely on tenderness. It sure looks good, tho'. I have had them go as high as 205 degrees or so (IT) before they were tender and other times, were tender at 195 degrees. Every piece of meat is different.

Do NOT get discouraged. It looks really good and probably just needed another thirty minutes or so to be perfect. Learn for the next time. You are CLOSE...

FWIW
Dale53:wsm:

Ok, just ate dinner and it was so disappointing to me... I pulled it off at 195 and let the meat sit alone covered in foil and a had a dish towel over it for about a half hour... When I went to pull it I realized that it was tuff to pull and seemed dry... I'm not sure what I did wrong here but I hope you guys and gals might have some answers for me... I tried so hard in doing this only to be really disappointed...

Your first mistake is cooking at 225. IMO there's no reason to cook that low. When meat stalls, it's losing moisture. You want to get through the stall as fast as possible which is why foil is used. Try 275 next time.

When I do chuckies, they get pulled at 195-200 for slicing and at least 205 for pulling. That said, it's hard to get moist pulled beef without a PSB like bath. Sometimes I'll cook it to slicing and then chop it up for a more moist "pulled beef".

It's a learning process, don't get discouraged.

Not that I know, Leo, but Dale and Alan have some good advice. What I do know is that not every cook will meet our own expectations; we are our own toughest critics. And as long as we learn from each step, it's all good. Your tasty lookin' chuck looks like a hunk of meat I would snarf down in a second> :)

Chuck Roasts are considered a leaner cut. Leaner than a pork butt is, and you cooked it the same way. I agree with others, more liquid, more time in foil. Maybe put the roast in first in the pan of broth, then put the veggies in after Essentially you want to think like you are braising it on the smoker. Also, rather than leaving it in rub overnight, rub right before cooking and marinate the roast in something acidic overnight.

Last edited:

Back