Worked 62 hours last week... Much needed day off and cook... Boneless chuck roast...

Leo you did every step right it looks like, and the dish looks superb. Alas I believe Dale is right and it was pulled a little early for that particular cut of meat. Thats the weird part, the next one you do might be perfectly tender at 195. For me the thermometer means nothing after a cook like this gets anything near the range it could be done, I pull it or just don't pay it any attention at all. Tenderness, that's all I look for to determine when to pull it.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the advice and encouragement for the next cook... I was so bummed out after doing this cook... Maybe next time I'll do a Boston Butt instead to better my chances for success(more fat to render through)... My question is this... Is it at all possible to get pulled beef as juicy and tender as pulled pork? Maybe I'm trying to get something that really isn't possible... Thanks again everyone...

Thanks a lot everyone for all the advice and encouragement for the next cook... I was so bummed out after doing this cook... Maybe next time I'll do a Boston Butt instead to better my chances for success(more fat to render through)... My question is this... Is it at all possible to get pulled beef as juicy and tender as pulled pork? Maybe I'm trying to get something that really isn't possible... Thanks again everyone...
Did you look at the video I posted on the previous page? That is how it's done. Especially note how he tested for tender by twisting a fork in the meat. No thermometer needed. Yes it's possible. When you can stick a fork in the meat and twist it without much effort and meat twirls around the fork like so much spaghetti, that's when it's done. Forget temps

Last edited:
Hi Dave... Have not had a chance yet to look at the video but I will at some point tonight... Just got home from work and getting ready to go to the new Sams Club here in Fall River that is set to open tomorrow morning... We are going for the pre-opening tonight... Thanks Dave... I appreciate it...

That video is by Larry Wolfe who, as far as I know, originally came up with the recipe. I didn't post the video for you to follow the recipe, but to have you see the cooking techniques, particularly for determining when the bark is right, foiling, unfoiling and checking for tender. As far as particular ingredients go, use what you like.

Dave... I just watched the video... Next time I'm gonna try the hotter temp and instead of using rub I'm gonna do the salt and pepper... I think a few weeks ago I was directed by Robert McGee to try the Pepper Stout Beef, but at that time I showed my girlfriend and she didn't seem to want to try it(I think she will try it after last night's cook)...

How much salt did you have in your rub? my thought is, having the rub on it over night, may have drawn out some of the moisture- ? I'm sort of guessing there, typically I don't salt beef heavily over night -

More liquid, higher temp, and probe for tenderness, and perhaps foil even sooner, much like a pot roast in the oven, which in most cases in covered the entire cook.........................d

Lots of good advice given above. My last roast I cooked and pulled wasn't tender until around 205-210. Just give it a bit more time. And cook at a higher temp. I'm sure you will knock it out of the park the next time.

Matt... It sounds good to me... The numbers you just put up makes it feel a little more promising... I pulled at 195 and your 210 could make a big difference(hopefully)... Thanks Matt

Back