Some people complain that lamb has a gamey taste and that they don’t like the flavor. To these people I say, you have not eaten a good piece of lamb!

This has always been a turnoff for me concerning lamb.

What causes lamb to have a wild taste?

I think it is a case of 'cellar palate'. Here lamb is as common as steak or pork. You grow up eating it. It tastes like.....lamb.

In the past it has been nearly all pasture fed, not lot fed, so that may be part of a stronger flavor, but I do not think of it as gamey at all.
But it is what we grow up with.

If we or the kids have been overseas (with the exception of New Zealand where they really love lamb) the first meal we ask for when we get home is always, a simple grilled lamb chop.

I don't think lamb tastes gamey. Lamb that has been feed grass and allowed to roam and eat natural foods has a clean, natural taste. This is why I prefer Utah Lamb. Also, people that complain about the taste of lamb usually are cooking it way to long. It is important to cook and serve lamb medium rare. When cooked to medium rare the flavor of the lamb shines through.

I don't think lamb tastes gamey. Lamb that has been feed grass and allowed to roam and eat natural foods has a clean, natural taste. This is why I prefer Utah Lamb. Also, people that complain about the taste of lamb usually are cooking it way to long. It is important to cook and serve lamb medium rare. When cooked to medium rare the flavor of the lamb shines through.

Thanks for posting that. I'll consider it the next time I decide to eat lamb, although I know my wife would not have anything to do with anything that looks like bloody meat. :D

What would the internal temp be for medium rare lamb?

What little lamb I've had, usually at Greek and Mediterranean food places I've loved. It's definitely something I want to try cooking. BBQ mutton is something I also wanna try but I know that's a different thing.

Back