Wood chunks in Maryland

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone know where I can find some wood chunks around these parts? I used to go to Barbeques Galore, but they are now out of business. Everywhere I've checked including Bass Pro and other places has the chips, but I despise those flamable things.

Thanks for the info in advance.

If you're looking for hickory, the big box home improvement centers usually carry it. I thought Bass Pro carried a good selection of chunks and chips. Guess I was wrong. After BBQ Galore went under, I've not been able to find anything but hickory. I've gone to on-line ordering. Check ebay. If you need apple, try an orchard. I think they're usually more than willing to give away trimmings.

Yeah, looks like I'm ordering. I'll do the chips in the foil technique til the order comes in. Maybe as Jim mentioned, Bass Pro will have chunks closer to spring time. Right now all they have is chips. I'm having a hard time even finding lump this winter.

Bumping an old thread in case someone nearby knows of a good local source of wood chunks for purchase. I'd much rather not pay the shipping but I will if I have to. Please help me save some money with your knowledge.

Yep, Home Depot is where I get my wood chunks. There is a garden store in Towson called Watson's. They are a big Weber dealer (they carry WSMs). They have wood as well.

The Courtland Hardware here in Bel Air had a slew of chunks last time I checked. They had all of the usuals as well as peach, cherry, and pecan. I'm not sure if there's one down your way, but I'd definitely check it out.

The depot seems to have a better selection these days. I also have a Southern States near me that carries Weber smokewood - hickory, apple, pecan, cherry. I think they may have mesquite as well. Pretty much everything I use. You could also try Ace, True Value hardware, etc.

Thanks for the responses, I had no idea HD sold wood other than mesquite or hickory. I tried Watson's, and the price was almost $3 more than HD shows on their website, but it also says they don't carry the wood chunks at any local stores. I will have to explore some I guess.

A few stores like ACE or True Value (and I think Home Depot) have a good selection of wood and provide free shipping to the local store. You might want to look into that.

Back