Winter storage suggestions?

I have cooked on the kettle at -28F, and it was doable if you are prepared, takes a little longer. Build a rain shelter
and be glad that you do not live in the snow belt!

OK, I get it... ! There are many of you who are much more committed than I to smoking in adverse weather conditions. I hold no grudges and respect your willingness to pursue the perfect rack of ribs or that brisket done with just the right about of char. Personally, during the 'rainy season", I'll just go my freezer, thaw out a rack of ribs or pack of pulled pork (vacuum-sealed and froze earlier) and enjoy it with a cold Guinness while watching the Seahawks, Sounders, Huskies, Beavers or Ducks on the big screen from the warmth of my "man cave". There will be plenty of time to re-stock the freezer come April or May.

Is this a great country, or what???

I'm with you Ron - a fair weather griller/smoker. Fortunately, I have the room and the money to take care of the situation. When I added an addition to my house I added a 10x10 covered area. Now it's always possible to grill and smoke. I still pretty much leave the smoking to warm weather, but I do like grilling in the winter. I do appreciate that smoking in the winter is great with the smell and the solitude, but it's cold. That's enough to make it less than fun. Sounds like you got it under control as far as stocking the freezer as your way to get through winter. As for storage, I believe the most important think is keeping the wsm dry. I keep a plastic bag over mine and have not had any problems. Of course I don't have the humidity you probably have. I think as long as it is inside your garage you'll be fine. just get it dry before you put it away and keep it that way as best you can. Good luck.

This reminds me of the local fishing forum I'm on when people talk about winterizing their boats. They get the same kind of responses. Like, "what the he** are you talking about."

Go on and enjoy that smoker. I pull mine just under the garage in the summer to beat the sun and will in the winter to help with the wind and cold.

In another 6 weeks or so, I'll be putting the WSM away for the winter. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it basically rains from mid-October to early May so running the WSM for 6,8, or 12 hours outside on an uncovered patio is not my idea of "fun".

So... my plan is to:

1. Clean the grates (probably run them through the "Clean" cycle of the wall oven)
2. Empty and wipe clean all ash and errant drippings from the bottom.
3. Clean and dry the "water bowl" completely
4. Clean and dry the terra cotta base (used instead of water)
5. Open vents
6. Cover
7. Store in attached garage

I was also thinking of burning a load of charcoal at high heat before cleaning to basically burn away anything that could grow mold or mildew during the rainy season.

Any other suggestions for long-term winter storage? I've read a few posts here about folks who stored their WSM for long periods, only to find all sorts of things growing on the inside when they opened them up. Obviously, this is what I am trying to avoid.

Your plan sounds great. Moisture is the trouble maker. I grill all-winter, but snow is easier to deal with than rain, although I'm nutty enough to grill and bbq in rain as well. You might want to consider pulling it out every month or so to heat it up and dry it out. Another thought is to wipe down your grate with veg oil/spray with Pam.

Since I go to Bear games without a winter coat on no matter the temp (I wear layers because you cant cover the jersey of Walter Payton ever), and I tailgate all the time I am not opposed to winter cooks. Just takes a little more time. I am trying to devise a winter smoke shack but trying to navigate the slopped backyard as well. You make do with what you got, the way of life.

Since I go to Bear games without a winter coat on no matter the temp (I wear layers because you cant cover the jersey of Walter Payton ever), and I tailgate all the time I am not opposed to winter cooks. Just takes a little more time. I am trying to devise a winter smoke shack but trying to navigate the slopped backyard as well. You make do with what you got, the way of life.

Hey Neighbor - I'm actually going to the Illini game at Soldier Field on Saturday. I'm bring the 320Q for a little tailgating. I got passes for the South lot, and I sure hope they aren't too hostile with the adult beverages and such. However, I just heard they don't allow canopies and are pretty strict I'm told?

Sorry guys for going off topic!

Back