Winter Smoking survey

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
How many of you, who live north of the Florida state line, smoke all winter?

This is my first winter and I grill year round, usually 3-4 times a week, but am wondering how much I will smoke this winter. Also I wonder how the 14.5 will work in cold weather.

I did 3 racks of ribs this weekend, temp was in the low 20's.
We'll be smoking for a Christmas party tomorrow.
Yes, I smoke all winter. I have a welding blanket I can put over the WSM if needed. It will work without it but will use more charcoal.

Got a couple inches of snow on Saturday, and my 18" was out there like a trooper, working on a 6 pound pork butt.

I grill and smoke all year. I think my family would throw be out if i didn't. I live about an hour north of Philadelphia.

My big grills hibernate for the winter, but I keep my smokey joe at the ready. I know I am in the minority on this forum though!

Did burgers last night on the Silver B, I grill year round, this winter will tell me how much I smoke.

A friend just dropped off a welding blanket for me of course it is sopping wet and right now frozen solid.

More in the winter than in the summer. Did a turkey for Thanksgiving and will be doing a turkey and ham for Christmas.

After Golf Season I tend to go to smoker season, lol.

I grill all year round and usually smoke during the winter as I have more time.

Now with my CyberQ I can go play golf and come back to a brisket.

Until this year I had an electric smoker, and even with a box it just couldn't do the job. That kind of kept me on the grills, so now I have the 18" WSM and I have to get into the mind set of being able to smoke in the cold.
No mater what, it's never to cold to cook outside.

A few things that I like about smoking in the winter are: No bugs!, No humidity, and smoking in a snowstorm is a lot more fun than smoking during a T-storm..:wsm:

Tim

ill admit - i still do but definitely not as much...

i am in this category also. If I get a request I will set up the grill or the WSM in the garage (or the patio if it's warmer) and cook out there. But I gotta be honest , if it's bitter cold and windy or snowing ? It probably ain't happenin . :wsm:

Back