Winter Smoking survey

i am in this category also. If I get a request I will set up the grill or the WSM in the garage (or the patio if it's warmer) and cook out there. But I gotta be honest , if it's bitter cold and windy or snowing ? It probably ain't happenin . :wsm:

If it's bitter cold and windy I'm inside, but I always seem to be standing in front of one of my grills in the snow. Last year my neighbor looked out his window and saw me with the Performer out while it was snowing like crazy. He then drove out of his garage, and up my drive. He waved for me to come to the car. I walked up, he rolled down the window handed me a beer, and called me an idiot. Rolled back up his window, and drove back home. I laughed all day over that one.

If it's bitter cold and windy I'm inside, but I always seem to be standing in front of one of my grills in the snow. Last year my neighbor looked out his window and saw me with the Performer out while it was snowing like crazy. He then drove out of his garage, and up my drive. He waved for me to come to the car. I walked up, he rolled down the window handed me a beer, and called me an idiot. Rolled back up his window, and drove back home. I laughed all day over that one.

Does he have a heated garage?

I'm actually more annoyed by the darkness than the freezing temperatures. Here where I live, it's dark at three o'clock in the evening at this time of the year. I have access to several lamps, but it is not the same. It is difficult to take good pictures to post as well.
I use mye smoker, but not as much as during summertime. Tomorrow I'm making 9 pounds of bacon for christmas, and then TOWMBO has liven me a order for a few pounds of cold smoked salmon. I know how I'm going to spend my sunday. I'ts so cold here, that I need to use an electrical oven inside the WSM when I cold smoke. I see that several of you grill all the time at low temperatures.

Personally winter time is a nice time to make and enjoy dishes not made on a grill. Like soups, stews, asian dishes, pies, cured food, tapas, traditional Norwegian dishes and so on.

Last edited:
This weekend I will thaw things out. My BBQ cover is under there somewhere. Was cooking the other night when the snow started but the 26 was too hot to cover...well not now :)
IMG_0930_zps2f0ab850.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0931_zpsa2f5a0c6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm North of the FLA line but not by much. I grill and smoke all year long. Like others have said the wind is the killer vs the cold. I did a small butt on the 14.5" last week. Then made some tamales, tacos, and a few sammiches with the meat. It works great just uses more charcoal to maintain temps.

I'll have cookers out just about every week regardless of what the temps are.

When my birthday rolls around, it's usually the coldest week of the year (one year was -27F) and I like ribs or brisket for my birthday so I'll be cooking for sure. This year i think I'll take a pic of my ThermaPen showing the temp.

Never too cold to cook outside. Never.

I can add myself to the "not as much" list. Though this year will be my first with my WSM over the winter. Already not using as much as in the warmer weather.

I did have a little birdie tell me that Santa may be bringing me a Performer Platinum for Xmas............ Grilling will be the more likely use over the next few months.

I can add myself to the "not as much" list. Though this year will be my first with my WSM over the winter. Already not using as much as in the warmer weather.

I did have a little birdie tell me that Santa may be bringing me a Performer Platinum for Xmas............ Grilling will be the more likely use over the next few months.

I prefer the kettle for winter time in our area Derek. Once you get on to it, they are great.

Year round for me here in the Pacific Northwet!

I've been using my 22" WSM with the Pellet Pro/Cajun Bandit Stacker in low 20* temps and it doesn't miss a beat!
The shed is stocked with enough lump and briqs to get me through for a long time. And I have an insulated Backwoods, Big Green Eggs and a Cookshack Smokette that shake their fists at wind and low temps!

100_3270.jpg

Gary S said:
I prefer the kettle for winter time in our area Derek. Once you get on to it, they are great.

Ya, I can't wait! Looks Like Santa will be bringing me a Performer Platinum this year!! :rolleyes:

I'm in the box with those that don't do too much in the winter. I will fire up the gasser and go inside while it heats up and maybe do some burgers, steaks or chops but nothing that takes a lot of time. I just don't deal well with the cold, takes me forever to warm back up. During the late fall I smoke a few butts and roasts and freeze them for the winter months. For winter cooking its crock pot, Dutch oven, stews, etc and even oven baked ribs if I can find them.

Live in laporte texas and I grill year round. Hell, I grilled the other day and it was an extremely cold 45 degrees. lol

Back