Winter Grilling

That's when I bring out my arsenal of indoor cooking of stews, gumbo, roasts, etc...then sitting by a warm fire.

Not a thing wrong with that.....................................
Ditto!
I'll still grill & que many times, but the old crock pot, and dutch oven stay at the ready.

There are a few good things about grilling in the winter that were failed to mention here!! Supporting your local economy by purchasing items normally only purchased in summer( burgers, ribs, charcoal), your beer doesn't get warm outside while you are grilling(not that it's a problem for me much anyhow but I have had it freeze on occasion!) and heck your outside! Live it up!! You only go round once! Grilled food is too good to only enjoy in the summer!

Grill on!!

@Morgan "and heck your outside!"

I spent 37 years of my life working outside!:p
To be honest, I can take the cold better than the heat.
But as I've gotten older, don't like, and can't take much of either extreme.

I hear you Bob, I don't like much extremes of any weather either,...and aaahhh yes,...my beloved le creuset Dutch oven,..nothing like a Dutch oven :)

@Morgan "and heck your outside!"

I spent 37 years of my life working outside!:p
To be honest, I can take the cold better than the heat.
But as I've gotten older, don't like, and can't take much of either extreme.

Come on Bob...that's what scotch or bourbon is for! Antifreeze dude!

I hear ya though...I've not got as many years in the elements as you..I've seen my share though! Commercial fishing in alaska in the winter and digging ditches in 110 heat! I still love being outside as much as I can! Grilling gives me a outlet I suppose!

The coldest that I have grilled out has been -28F, with a kettle doing steaks. Our guests thought that I was nuts until they tasted the steaks.
If you dress for the weather you can do things that most people would not try in most any kind of weather. Attitude helps too.

For those of us who experience sub zero temps, what are you grilling guidelines, tips, experiences?

This will be my first year going for a year round grilling venture and would like to hear your thoughts. I'm sure keeping the lid closed, allowing for extended cook times and keeping a path shoveled/clear are on the top of the list, but what else do you recommend?

Between gas or charcoal, is one more beneficial over the cooler months than the other? I'd guess gas would be easier to control, but that's just a guess.

Or... is it really not that big of a deal?

I'm a charcoal guy, and when it's cold out a gasser is gonna take a while to pre-heat, about the same time as it takes to get a chimney going, so since you have both you can pick or choose which one serves you best.
It's almost magical grilling on an open fire at night when the wind is calm and a light snow is in the air.

Tim

c'mon Jerry... really? a GAS grill??
what fun is THAT?!
cookin' on a gas grill in winter OR summer is only moving your stove OUTSIDE :p

For me, charcoal is for smoking. I like to smoke in the winter, but admit that I don't do it very often thanks to the food saver and a freezer. I have to say, that I just don't get a big difference in taste from charcoal grilling versus my gasser. If I did, I'd use the charcoal. I realize that this is a "to each his own", but I just don't taste the difference. With spices, sauces and marinades, I'm real happy with the eating I'm doing off the gasser and it is easier as a bonus.

I love grilling out in the cold. The air is nice and thin and it really carries the smell of the charcoal. Plus when it is snowing outside, it is so peaceful. Heck I stand outside almost the whole time I am grilling in the winter because I love it so much. In the dead heat of summer with the 100% humidity! I am only out there to start it up, put the food on, flip and take it off.

I've been cooking year round for the past 12 years. Like Jim said the only difference in Summer cooking and Winter cooking is the clothing you wear. And the snow drifts make great beverage holders while your tending the grill.

It's refreshing to hear this, thanks guys... guess it won't be such a long winter after all. Of course they are calling for lower than normal temps and less than average snowfall, what fun is that?

For those of us who experience sub zero temps, what are you grilling guidelines, tips, experiences?

This will be my first year going for a year round grilling venture and would like to hear your thoughts. I'm sure keeping the lid closed, allowing for extended cook times and keeping a path shoveled/clear are on the top of the list, but what else do you recommend?

Between gas or charcoal, is one more beneficial over the cooler months than the other? I'd guess gas would be easier to control, but that's just a guess.

Or... is it really not that big of a deal?

Some things to keep in mind when grilling in the winter...

If you're using charcoal, plan on using more than you would during the warm summer months. If your recipe calls for half a chimney of charcoal, use 3/4. The wind during the summer can be a factor but is much more of a factor during the winter. A cold wind can really affect the temp of your grill.

If you're using gas, let it pre-heat at least 5-10 minutes longer than you would during summer.

Keep in mind that charcoal can take longer to ignite if it's raining outside or the humidity is really high. During the winter, I move the OTG kettle to our front porch (which is covered) then I can grill without having to worry about the rain, etc.

When the wind is howling, food will often take longer to cook due to the temp of the grill being affected by the wind, so plan accordingly. If you're planning on cooking something that can take several hours (I.E. Pork Shoulder) you may want to postpone that for another day when the wind is less severe.

It gets dark early. When the temps get really cold, plan on cooking stuff that doesn't take much time so you can get back inside quickly. Chicken breasts, burgers, steaks, pork chops, sausages, etc. are all good items to grill when the temps are really cold.

Hope this helps,

I can hardly wait:(

IMG_1593_zps62aabc53.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I grill and smoke year round, but in SoCal the temps are really favorable. Mad props to you who have to endure the elements!

Now that I'm in my middle sixties I’m ether to hot or to cold never just right. So my preference is to be too warm, and with that during the winter I have learned to use my trusty crock pots, Dutch oven and oven. I make BBQ beef and pork slow cooked in the crock pot and a load of BBQ beans in another one and stews and pot roasts with great winter veggies in the Dutch oven and ribs (if I can find them) in the oven. Over the years I’ve got quite good at replicating grilling and light BBQ and being able to stay warm inside. Yes it’s not the true act of BBQ and grilling, but it works for me and when spring comes it makes firing up the grill for the first time that much sweeter.

Now that I'm in my middle sixties I’m ether to hot or to cold never just right. So my preference is to be too warm, and with that during the winter I have learned to use my trusty crock pots, Dutch oven and oven. I make BBQ beef and pork slow cooked in the crock pot and a load of BBQ beans in another one and stews and pot roasts with great winter veggies in the Dutch oven and ribs (if I can find them) in the oven. Over the years I’ve got quite good at replicating grilling and light BBQ and being able to stay warm inside. Yes it’s not the true act of BBQ and grilling, but it works for me and when spring comes it makes firing up the grill for the first time that much sweeter.

Bingo!!!! Works for me too.

Back