Wings and Things

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
With advice from everyone here I made wings on the Weber for the first time on the fourth of July, I didn't get any pictures of that first cook, so tonight when I went for it a second time I took some pictures. The other things were two chicken leg/thigh quarters. My wife prefers them the wings and carrots and calliflower in the grill basket that my wife and daughter picked up for me after the advice from this site. Put the quarters on about 20 minutes before the wings and all was done right at the same time.IMG_20200710_232755.jpglIMG_20200710_232607.jpgIMG_20200710_232620.jpg

Looks great, Michael! You sure used all the real estate your grill would offer! I always just think of chicken as a vegetable, but probably a good idea to add some actual veggies to your meal! :p

R

Looks great, Michael! You sure used all the real estate your grill would offer! I always just think of chicken as a vegetable, but probably a good idea to add some actual veggies to your meal! :p

R
My oldest daughter is on the eat very little meat kick, but will literally eat all those grilled veggies every night, so veggies are getting cooked every time I fire up the grill.

Looks perfect Michael. Boy you sure got a load on that kettle, you might be a candidate for a 26er.

Everything looks great, love the color on the wings, what seasoning did you use?

Tim

Did you toss the vegetables with olive oil? More than salt and pepper?
I think I need to get my grill pan out and do that again, for some reason, I’ve just gotten away from that!

Did you toss the vegetables with olive oil? More than salt and pepper?
I think I need to get my grill pan out and do that again, for some reason, I’ve just gotten away from that!
Oil, SPGO, a touch of Chipotle pepper powder, and a touch of the same rub I used for the chicken. We all destroy the veggies as much as the meats! Since I have got the the grill basket as soon as it is cleaned it is being used again.

Oil, SPGO, a touch of Chipotle pepper powder, and a touch of the same rub I used for the chicken. We all destroy the veggies as much as the meats! Since I have got the the grill basket as soon as it is cleaned it is being used again.

Yeah, so many people only grill meat and don’t know what they are missing. That said, I have not used the grill basket this year yet. Shame on Me! 😀

That cook looked delicious by the way. 😋

Looks great! did you get crispy skin the wings with vortex? did you use cornstarch?
I did not use cornstarch and I don't have a vortex yet... It was just the Weber Baskets pushed together in the center, with the edges and the kettle lined with foil. Now many here highly recommend the vortex when I asked about cooking wing in the below post. https://tvwbb.com/threads/daughter-wants-chicken-wings-help.81887/page-2#post-908035
I have done wings this way twice now and can not believe how juices, tender, and CRISPY the wings are. The Weber kettle is an amazing cooking device. 50 minutes for the first batch and it felt like they were a touch overdone, 50 minutes on this, the second batch, and I felt like I could have given them five more minutes. So still trying to get to nail down the process, but with all the wings I will be making I will get it more nailed down.

Michael, just remember that no two cooks are alike, ever! They might start out the same, but by the time comes to pull them off, timing may change.
It’s as much art as science every piece of meat is different, every day is different. Of course I’m answering after two cocktails, and the second tastes better than the first!

Back